Who understands gobbledegook writing?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Who understands gobbledegook writing?

Postby Lols » 10 Jan 2019, 23:58

Or.....am I not educated enough?
What the hell does this all mean anyway, and when this was done 2 years ago, for an 88 year old immigrant, whose schooling was torn apart in grade 5 during the 2nd world war, how would this elderly person understand what this even means, when I, who have had further education after high school witha diploma in a private Business College whose politicians even sent their daughters to, can't understand this.

So with the best of everyone's knowledge, tell me in 25 words or less, what you think it all means, btw...the executor or 'trustee' is the solicitor himself, that wrote this.

Hmmmm....... :? And the prize will be, my astonishment! :b

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: Who understands gobbledegook writing?

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Jan 2019, 00:11

Whoever the Trustee is has all the money.

You will never see a cent of it.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 11 Jan 2019, 00:25

Sprintcyclist wrote:Whoever the Trustee is has all the money.

You will never see a cent of it.

I'm feeling sick.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 00:29

It sounds to me, without seeing the rest of the will, like the intent was that money, not otherwise given directly to the heirs according to the will, may only be invested in certain things. It sounds like the intent was that it NOT be invested in things of temporal or diminishing value, like cars or boats, and that it be invested in relatively safe areas, like real estate or established securities.

Aussie is in our in-house lawyer, though. He should be able to give you a better answer.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 11 Jan 2019, 00:45

SethBullock wrote:It sounds to me, without seeing the rest of the will, like the intent was that money, not otherwise given directly to the heirs according to the will, may only be invested in certain things. It sounds like the intent was that it NOT be invested in things of temporal or diminishing value, like cars or boats, and that it be invested in relatively safe areas, like real estate or established securities.

Aussie is in our in-house lawyer, though. He should be able to give you a better answer.

Interesting, about how the rest of the money, which is cash in a bank on term deposit, should be dictated about how it's to be spent or not spent.

The first page of the will is highly disturbing and unreasonable, but won't disclose here. There is a 'challenge' or a 'contesting' that has to be done, to be fair.

So I went to mum's doctor yesterday, and it was disturbing to find out she was really not doing the right thing by herself, and he asked for a family member to accompany her to be vigil over her, so we would have known, but too late, I only find out, she had vascular dementia. So now I wonder where this leaves the will......part of that type of dementia is apathy, and unreasoning. She had a few mini strokes or TIA's.

Sad really. Just breaks my heart.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 01:14

Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:It sounds to me, without seeing the rest of the will, like the intent was that money, not otherwise given directly to the heirs according to the will, may only be invested in certain things. It sounds like the intent was that it NOT be invested in things of temporal or diminishing value, like cars or boats, and that it be invested in relatively safe areas, like real estate or established securities.

Interesting, about how the rest of the money, which is cash in a bank on term deposit, should be dictated about how it's to be spent or not spent.

The first page of the will is highly disturbing and unreasonable, but won't disclose here. There is a 'challenge' or a 'contesting' that has to be done, to be fair.

So I went to mum's doctor yesterday, and it was disturbing to find out she was really not doing the right thing by herself, and he asked for a family member to accompany her to be vigil over her, so we would have known, but too late, I only find out, she had vascular dementia. So now I wonder where this leaves the will......part of that type of dementia is apathy, and unreasoning. She had a few mini strokes or TIA's.

Sad really. Just breaks my heart.

I'm sorry for this difficulty for you, Lols. I can't comment on a challenge or contesting. I have no expertise. When Aussie sees this, he can give a lawyerly opinion.

Seth

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 11 Jan 2019, 07:39

Relax Lols. It is a standard investment clause found in most Wills. It will only apply if there are infant beneficiaries or if a beneficiary is to receive their bequest at some later time.

Are there?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Lols » 11 Jan 2019, 09:39

No, none. Unless one of the grandkids are pregnant? But I don’t think so at this stage. I think 2 years ago mum may have thought great grandkids may have come along, and was probably allowing for them. Which now I understand why that clause is as you said it was. Thanks for clarifying that. Much appreciated.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 15:23

WOW, Aussie understood that gooblygook?

maybe he really was a lawyer after all :roll

:up
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 11 Jan 2019, 15:31

That is not necessarily the case Lols. PM me if you like.....up to you.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 15:38

Aussie wrote:

Don't send her a bill, Aussie. :stop

Just sayin' ...

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 11 Jan 2019, 15:54

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Don't send her a bill, Aussie. :stop

Just sayin' ...

I am long retired Seth. I have no intention of stuffing up the tranquillity of my World by sending bills to people.

:beer
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 16:40

Likewise I have not charged Sprint for brewing lessons tho he has run up like $150 when I was in business.

Just kidding Sprint, I love talking beer and brewing!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 16:48

Heh, some people were upset I charged $150/day/person for brewing lessons.

Far out! They get me talking beer and brewing all day, 8–9 hours. They get to do all the actual brewing: preparing the mash liquor, mashing, sparging, boiling, help working out a recipe to suit what they wanted to make and they took all the wort home.

Other places you don’t pay a lot less, you are one of a crowd watching someone else brew and don’t take home all that much.

Heh, to make sure I did not get in trouble with excise I never gave any yeast: when I had the shop the could buy it from me (or whoever) and when the shop was shut they could buy the yeast from whoever too. No restrictions on teaching brewing, no restrictions on selling wort only restrictions on selling alcohol.

$150 was not too much. Hire a taxi for eight hours waiting time: pay more that $150!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 16:48

Heh, some people were upset I charged $150/day/person for brewing lessons.

Far out! They get me talking beer and brewing all day, 8–9 hours. They get to do all the actual brewing: preparing the mash liquor, mashing, sparging, boiling, help working out a recipe to suit what they wanted to make and they took all the wort home.

Other places you don’t pay a lot less, you are one of a crowd watching someone else brew and don’t take home all that much.

Heh, to make sure I did not get in trouble with excise I never gave any yeast: when I had the shop the could buy it from me (or whoever) and when the shop was shut they could buy the yeast from whoever too. No restrictions on teaching brewing, no restrictions on selling wort only restrictions on selling alcohol.

$150 was not too much. Hire a taxi for eight hours waiting time: pay more that $150!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 16:57

You need to realize when I'm just kidding around, Aussie.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2019, 17:05

SethBullock wrote:You need to realize when I'm just kidding around, Aussie.

no humour allowed at the sunshine coast Seth :jump :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 11 Jan 2019, 17:06

I know Seth. I am just being my usual virtuous self deprecating self.

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 11 Jan 2019, 17:17

Aussie wrote:

I know Seth. I am just being my usual virtuous self deprecating self.

:bgrin

I'm too tired now, but remind me to tell you about an interaction I had with a lawyer one time at a hearing.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Jan 2019, 18:40

HBS Guy wrote:Likewise I have not charged Sprint for brewing lessons tho he has run up like $150 when I was in business.

Just kidding Sprint, I love talking beer and brewing!

You talk beer well, you do not teach beer well.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 19:33

Depends on the pupil too, Sprint!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 12 Jan 2019, 09:29

HBS Guy wrote:Depends on the pupil too, Sprint!

Your teaching abilities are about the worst I have ever encountered.
You have none. You know beer, you have no idea on teaching.

I have learnt about learning and passed a course on teaching. Many people congratulate me on my teaching.
I passed my degree with a commendation award and passed every exam the first time.
What you do is terrible and has almost no teaching outcome.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jan 2019, 09:32

OK so I won’t try to help you anymore with your beer making.

When I did brew lessons, even just brew demos at the shop I got a high number who became advanced mash brewers so I do not think my teaching is too bad.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 12 Jan 2019, 10:56

So here's my lawyer story.

I arrested a guy for DUI. Now, in my state, this triggers two things that move along on their own separate tracks.

DUI is a misdemeanor crime, so the arrest triggers a prosecution for that crime. This adjudication moves along at its own rate, on its own time.

On a separate track, if the arrested driver refused to take a breath test, or if they took the breath test and failed it, our Dept of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will suspend their drivers license for a period of time. They will suspend that license 30 days after the arrest. Now, if the driver wishes to contest the suspension before it takes effect, they are entitled to a hearing with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) who is an employee of the DMV. The driver may be represented by a lawyer, and the arresting officer is sworn and gives testimony. It is very similar to a trial. The probable cause for the stop must be weighed, and the officer must prove that there was probable cause to then make the arrest and request the breath test.

So a couple of weeks after I made the arrest, I received a subpoena to appear at the hearing. So I arrived at the appointed time and place. The driver was not there, but his lawyer was there. (The driver does not have to be present if he has a lawyer there to represent him.) The lawyer was a nice younger fellow in his middle 30s, nicely dressed, and polite and friendly. We introduced ourselves to each other. I'll call him Mr Smith.

He told me, however, that our driver had hired him but that he had not yet received his retainer fee from him, and he wasn't sure he could go through with the hearing. There was about 10 minutes before the hearing was supposed to begin, and he called his secretary on his cell phone.

"Hi Shirley. Hey, has the mail come in yet? Yes, I'll wait."

A minute later ...

"No? OK, thanks."

With 5 minutes to go, he makes another call to his secretary. Same result.

Now it's time for the hearing to begin. The ALJ asks the lawyer if he's ready to proceed. Sheepishly, he explains that he hasn't received his retainer and asks for a delay of about 10 minutes or so. He says his office ought to receive its mail any minute now.

The ALJ replies that his client's hearing is scheduled for the 10:30-noon time slot, and "so it's your time, counselor. We can wait."

So another 10 minutes goes by, and he calls his secretary. The mail hasn't come in yet.

Another 10 or 15 minutes goes by, and he calls his secretary.

"Hi, it's me. Has the mail come in yet? It has? Is that retainer there in the mail?"

Pause while she looks ...

"It isn't? You're sure? Okay. Thanks. Bye."

The ALJ, the lawyer, and I had all been sitting around a table, and so the ALJ had also heard his end of the conversation.

"Well counselor, what do you want to do?", asked the ALJ.

A look of consternation on his face as he thought about it. Then he said with a sigh and sort of a roll of his eyes, "OK, let's go ahead with it."

So, first the police officer gives his testimony, which I did, and answers any questions posed by the ALJ. Then it's the lawyer's turn to question the officer.

This lawyer asked me two questions. Both questions were very intelligent questions that went to the heart of the probable cause for the initial stop. They were good questions. I expected I was in for a very good grilling.

Then he offered a brief argument for the record, and had nothing further.

The ALJ ended the hearing and said that she would render her decision and notify the lawyer and client by mail, as is normal. Hearing closed.

Now we're off the record and the lawyer says to me,

"Officer *****, I just want to say that I appreciated your testimony. I thought you were very honest and professional."

"Well thank you, Mr Smith. I appreciate that. And I thought your questions were really good questions."

"Well", he replied ...

"If that retainer had come in, there would have been a whole lot more of them."

I laughed, he laughed, we shook hands and went our separate ways.

About a week later I received a copy of the ALJ's decision. Suspension upheld.

True story.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jan 2019, 11:46

Pay your professionals!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Sand Pit