What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby johnsmith » 24 Feb 2019, 18:29

Lols wrote:That’s very promising to read, and I always said, re: education, there is no ‘one size fits all’

I was glad when they first told us this is what they were going to do. It seemed like such a great idea. They tried it last year with the year 2's (again, my sons class) for the first time and it was a success so now they've adopted it as standard across all the other age groups.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby Lols » 24 Feb 2019, 18:41

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:That’s very promising to read, and I always said, re: education, there is no ‘one size fits all’

I was glad when they first told us this is what they were going to do. It seemed like such a great idea. They tried it last year with the year 2's (again, my sons class) for the first time and it was a success so now they've adopted it as standard across all the other age groups now.

A start for many positive changes and a good example to show the rest of the country to adopt these same successful principles. There is hope for the future of our education system!

A few years ago, when my son was in year 10, a new system was started where over a 2 year period, students not excelling with general schooling, were given an opportunity to do hsc one day a week, trade school one day a week, and apprentice work placement 3 days a week with pay. It was a huge success and I was first in line to sign up for the son to do that.
Only a few ventured into it, but by the 2nd year, a huge application for it happened. I was extremely pleased with this new strategy in education and many of these young apprentices went on to get their tickets with glowing reports!
It was a proud thing for me as a mum, whose always helped with school readers etc to see these students grow up to have such a greater educated situation to suit them to grow and prosper, instead of feeling left behind with the usual ways where some students excelled at reading and spelling, and these others didn’t grasp it.
I’m all for alternative ways of education.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 26 Feb 2019, 22:10

you should start a child-raising topic.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 02 Mar 2019, 03:06

Ugh! Sitting in my local DMV. Getting here early didn’t help. I’m #54. They’re now serving #33. Jeez ...
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 02 Mar 2019, 03:40

SethBullock wrote:Ugh! Sitting in my local DMV. Getting here early didn’t help. I’m #54. They’re now serving #33. Jeez ...

That's one advantage of living in a smaller town. I can usually walk in with less than 10 minute wait for vehicle registration or even license renewal.

Easier jury duty is another benefit. I used to dread jury duty in downtown Dallas. We paid more for parking than we were paid on the jury and we were always farmed out to a remote courthouse anyway. We are paid $10/day for jury duty, unless we do a federal case. That's about $40/day. Now I can walk out of the courthouse for lunch and eat at several places on the Ellis County square with friends nearby. Free parking.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Mar 2019, 11:28

Paying rego on-line is such a blessing. 1 minute and I need not leave home.

I am finalising my plan. Needless to say, rather changed from what I announced last time. However, this will need to be the final version as will need to get earth moving (trench digging) and rotary hoeing organised soon. Six weeks time until I leave for Tassie.

Cutting the cider apples from 3 rows to two, so 8 trees not 12, plus one row dwarf apple trees (eating/cooking apples) and cherry trees plus 3 rows perry pears.

Have it worked out in a spreadsheet, about time to draw it with rulers, set squares and pencils which I am not brilliant at I will admit. Then try to find people who have tractors, trench diggers, augers and rotary hoes.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Mar 2019, 18:27

I took my boys for their BJJ grading today. Then as a treat dads were invited onto the mat so our kids could show us close up and personal like what they've been learning .... my arm is still sore from being put in an arm bar a little over enthusiastically several times :bgrin :bgrin

worth it though just to see the grin on their faces. :thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 04 Mar 2019, 06:13

About to watch the start of the NASCAR race in Las Vegas. They just had the national anthem with a flyover by the Thunderbirds. People standing respectfully, hands over hearts, always brings a smile to my face.

And I’ve got 13 lbs of cat curled up on my lap.

Should be a great race.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Mar 2019, 09:47

Enjoying a Monday public holiday. Woo hoo!

Was up at 5 am, doing the gardening (it's going to be a very hot 39 degrees today), and now I'll spend the rest of the day relaxing.

Some Netflix, some reading, some guitar maintenance & playing.

Maybe some beers in the afternoon with some friends.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Lols » 04 Mar 2019, 11:06

SethBullock wrote:About to watch the start of the NASCAR race in Las Vegas. They just had the national anthem with a flyover by the Thunderbirds. People standing respectfully, hands over hearts, always brings a smile to my face.

And I’ve got 13 lbs of cat curled up on my lap.

Should be a great race.

That sounds like the life! And pets always help with relaxation, which reminds me, I must phone the vet today for the cats blood test results to see if she has thyroid issues as to why she has become thinner.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 04 Mar 2019, 11:09

greggerypeccary wrote:Enjoying a Monday public holiday. Woo hoo!

Was up at 5 am, doing the gardening (it's going to be a very hot 39 degrees today), and now I'll spend the rest of the day relaxing.

Dang this hot weather! Has it been the hottest March on record?
Whatever weather happens in Perth we get a couple of days later here in Melbourne.
I am craving the colder weather now!
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 04 Mar 2019, 11:09

Sunday evening. Weekly paperwork is due tonight. Bed soon and work tomorrow in East Texas. I may meet my cousin, who is a cop, for lunch. I only get to see him about once/year. He has the best stories. He also works for the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.(BATFE) He tells me about murder investigations and narcotic raids from his county sheriff job. I may hit him up for some BATFE stories if I get the chance. He confiscates illegally gotten guns for them, mostly.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Mar 2019, 18:31

Lols wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:Enjoying a Monday public holiday. Woo hoo!

Dang this hot weather! Has it been the hottest March on record?
Whatever weather happens in Perth we get a couple of days later here in Melbourne.
I am craving the colder weather now!

It reached the forecast 39 today. Maybe a little more.

Not that I felt it - I was inside with the AC on all day.

Watched some good documentaries on YouTube, and drank a little wine :bgrin
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Texan » 04 Mar 2019, 20:51

-7C here in Dallas.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 04 Mar 2019, 21:45

Texan wrote:-7C here in Dallas.

Lovely. Crank up the fire place and enjoy.

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 04 Mar 2019, 21:51

I'm watching ABC TV ….. Q&A …

Pell and Ramifications for the future of the RC Church.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 05 Mar 2019, 10:29

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:-7C here in Dallas.

Lovely. Crank up the fire place and enjoy.

:bgrin

I had to work in East Texas for the day. I'm home and the fire place is roaring.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Mar 2019, 12:34

If I can get double glazed windows and straw bale infill plus passive solar the only way I could stand a roaring fire is to have some windows open!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 06 Mar 2019, 01:02

ah hah.. yes .. you'll need the fresh air.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 06 Mar 2019, 07:20

Most of the heat from our fireplace goes out the chimney. What we need is a wood burning stove. Many of those are 85-90% efficient. My inlaws used to have to open windows when their stove was burning.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 06 Mar 2019, 12:10

Texan wrote:Most of the heat from our fireplace goes out the chimney. What we need is a wood burning stove. Many of those are 85-90% efficient. My inlaws used to have to open windows when their stove was burning.

Absolutely right. We have a Lopi woodstove. It has a ceramic transparent window in the door, so you can enjoy the sight of the fire, and boy, oh boy, does it ever heat the place. I have to manage the rate of burn so as to not overheat the house, even when the outside temps are in the 20s. I can load it up with wood before bed, shut down the draft to a trickle, and it will heat the house all night. Lopi is a great choice if you're interested in getting one.

There it is in the background.

Deschutes Pacific.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 06 Mar 2019, 12:11

Texan wrote:Most of the heat from our fireplace goes out the chimney. What we need is a wood burning stove. Many of those are 85-90% efficient. My inlaws used to have to open windows when their stove was burning.

What a great photo you're using, Grampa!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Mar 2019, 17:56

Me, I am just in a state of bliss. Great niece Milly had shown aptitude for the guitar and her Mum wanted to buy one, was going to pay it off on layby. I said it would be absolutely my pleasure to buy the guitar so today was the day. Mum wanted a phone (because once or twice a week she was home alone for a couple hours while I was buying food at the Adelaide Central Market or something. Amazingly, we were on the road before 9.00am, had bought an ultra–simple phone for her and back on the road at 9.40. So, lovely leisurely breakfast at Bracegirdles (incl a mug of their fantastic hot dark chocolate, hmmm!) and on the road to Yankalilla.

Yankalilla has a nice op shop for Mum and a pretty good second hand shop for me. Have bought things there, today only 3 little cookbooks took my fancy. On to Normanville and take the turn to Second Valley and Cape Jervis. We only followed it to Delamere where we hung a right and drive through some really nice country, winding the windows down to enjoy the heady pine scent where there were plantations of Pinus Radiatus.

Got to Victor Harbor rather early so on to Pt Elliot. Good antique shop there, the lady tried to interest me in some West german pottery, pffft no way, Scheurig strictly tourist rubbish! Bought a very old triangular sign with red reflectors on it, might make a nice sign “here I is” when living in Tassie. Unlike a lot of signs: it was real not reproduction. Unlike a lot of signs—only $17 (not $170 or $1,700!) Also a metal floor mat, last several lifetimes. I might use it as a mat for scraping shoes or I might fix it to the wall above my front door. A separate flash unit for a camera for a niece I will be visiting for a couple of days before the big trip to Tassie—she collects cameras.

Back to Victor, two op shops nothing for me.

Got a call from my niece, off the the guitar shop, great niece full of suppressed excitement. Bloke couldn’t find the guitar niece had put on layby. After 15 minutes of rooting around niece pointed out the guitar was still behind the counter where he had put it three weeks ago when the guitar had been put on layby. Not a real advertisement for the shop, I thought.

One happy little girl! Lots of people have great talents and achievements. Musicians tho transcend this world, this vale of tears, and enter the next.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Mar 2019, 18:50

SethBullock wrote:

What a great photo you're using, Grampa!

:thumb
she's gorgeous isn't she?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 06 Mar 2019, 21:20

SethBullock wrote:

Absolutely right. We have a Lopi woodstove. It has a ceramic transparent window in the door, so you can enjoy the sight of the fire, and boy, oh boy, does it ever heat the place. I have to manage the rate of burn so as to not overheat the house, even when the outside temps are in the 20s. I can load it up with wood before bed, shut down the draft to a trickle, and it will heat the house all night. Lopi is a great choice if you're interested in getting one.

There it is in the background.

Deschutes Pacific.JPG

Yep slow combustion wood-burners are excellent. Best only to use DRY wood though. :bgrin The chimney-pipe cokes up otherwise.
I've had one for a couple of decades, and in the Winter..? with the fire going, even damped-down by using the flue-control thing, :bgrin I often find myself in very little clothing. ( Mind you, I have a very small house)
AND, I do live in Queensland, which is known as the Sunshine State. But I also live a bit away from the Coast, and Inland temps where I live have gone down as low as -6 C . It doesn't happen often, but close to, or on zero is not uncommon, for a month or so. :bgrin .

Umm ,, with combustion stoves like the one shown, which is practically identical to mine, I advise to always have an old kettle full of water on the back.. just to keep moisture in the air. otherwise it can become terribly dry, and boy, My sinuses don't like it. So yeah.. my fireplace is also useful for cooking on. It has a broad flat top that is just perfect for winter foods. :bgrin
A good investment, as I can often even supply wood from my own property. Even if it is mainly kindling.

I leave most of the fallen wood, and trees, where they land. Dead trees are UNTOUCHABLE on my land... extremely important habitat.. I'll take some, but not much, of the slighter bigger stuff, especially if it is in my house yard... everything else that falls is left there.

:wub
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit