What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale



Just post here—don’t need to join.
.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 18 Feb 2019, 12:10

HBS Guy wrote:Sometime in the early 1990s I decided that when my favorite niece had her kids I did not want to be a shuffling, Ventolin puffing, shuffling old fart and gave up smoking. Never smoked again.

Seven years ago less a couple of months I loaded Mum into the car and drove 450Km to Mt Gambier to visit niece and greatniece (and Mum’s grand daughter and great granddaughter. Milly was born 2 days before my birthday—I told my niece she had to tell the doctors to induce her on Sunday not Friday :rofl :rofl :rofl

Mum had had a cornea replacement operation so after refuelling on the way back I had to put drops in her eye on the servos apron.

And as I held Milly she dropped a very loud fart into my hand :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Be no more great nieces/nephews.

That's happened to me a dozen times this weekend with my granddaughter, usually while she is lying on my chest. That's just what babies do.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Feb 2019, 14:33

Ahahaha ayup!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53795
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby johnsmith » 18 Feb 2019, 15:28

HBS Guy wrote:And as I held Milly she dropped a very loud fart into my hand :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin


that's nothing. Wait until they pee or poo on you. Then you can complain :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9152
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Aussie » 18 Feb 2019, 16:32

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:And as I held Milly she dropped a very loud fart into my hand :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin


that's nothing. Wait until they pee or poo on you. Then you can complain :roll :roll


My daughter never did. Bloody son aimed that thing of his, I am sure of it!
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8879
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby johnsmith » 18 Feb 2019, 18:27

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:And as I held Milly she dropped a very loud fart into my hand :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin


that's nothing. Wait until they pee or poo on you. Then you can complain :roll :roll


My daughter never did. Bloody son aimed that thing of his, I am sure of it!



my oldest got his mum in the mouth once. I've never laughed so hard. :giggle :giggle
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9152
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 20 Feb 2019, 21:54

Well, I'm wondering what TC OMA is going to do. It could be an interesting week or so.
Certainly taking it's time....

Could be a direct hit on the SEQ Coast. Hmmm.. so yep, just waiting and wondering.

At the moment, here inland a bit, it is very still. My windchimes haven't rung once..all day... but I think that's going to change..
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Sprintcyclist » 20 Feb 2019, 22:01

I was outside hanging out the washing at about 9:30 pm tonight, it got very humid very quickly

Hope my washing gets dry before Oma hits
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 07:14
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 20 Feb 2019, 23:03

I heard a rumble earlier from down near the border... some storms.. seem to have disappeared. .oops look out just checked Bom.. umm a couple of mild looking storms SW. Not likely to get here.

but yeah it could be a big 'weather event'... LONGTIME NOW since anything has directly approached SEQ.

we'll have to wait and see..
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 21 Feb 2019, 06:27

I just got out of bed and I’m eating lunch at Panda Express in Owasso Oklahoma.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Feb 2019, 09:07

Got up at the crack of noon, eh? :bgrin
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53795
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 21 Feb 2019, 09:22

HBS Guy wrote:Got up at the crack of noon, eh? :bgrin

I'm out of town and working nights.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Feb 2019, 16:48

Ah
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53795
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Lols » 21 Feb 2019, 22:33

pinkeye wrote:I heard a rumble earlier from down near the border... some storms.. seem to have disappeared. .oops look out just checked Bom.. umm a couple of mild looking storms SW. Not likely to get here.

but yeah it could be a big 'weather event'... LONGTIME NOW since anything has directly approached SEQ.

we'll have to wait and see..


I've been keeping my eye on that OMA report, told daughter up on the GC to keep an eye out and be careful.
So take care all you Queenslanders up there!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 10 Jun 2014, 23:58
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Lols » 21 Feb 2019, 22:36

We had been meaning to go see Bohemian Rhapsody, at the cinema, but it's on at the cinema half hour drive away, and can't be bothered, so I found at Sanity store, the DVD of that movie is already out, so I bought it for $20 instead, and watched it tonight!
Was good. I also bought A star is born, seems if I can't make it to the cinema, will just buy the movie. I know hiring it at a later date is better for $4, but at least I get to keep it and let family members 'borrow' it!

It's just so good, watching a movie on DVD with NO COMMERCIALS to interrupt the flow of concentration and relaxation eh? :thumb
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 10 Jun 2014, 23:58
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Sprintcyclist » 21 Feb 2019, 23:00

Lols wrote:We had been meaning to go see Bohemian Rhapsody, at the cinema, but it's on at the cinema half hour drive away, and can't be bothered, so I found at Sanity store, the DVD of that movie is already out, so I bought it for $20 instead, and watched it tonight!
Was good. I also bought A star is born, seems if I can't make it to the cinema, will just buy the movie. I know hiring it at a later date is better for $4, but at least I get to keep it and let family members 'borrow' it!

It's just so good, watching a movie on DVD with NO COMMERCIALS to interrupt the flow of concentration and relaxation eh? :thumb


yes
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 07:14
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 22 Feb 2019, 00:16

I prefer reading a good book … always.

Sometimes I watch a movie, on free-to-air. But yeah the adverts send me to sleep in my chair, and I usually miss it. :roll :bgrin

Whereas, right now, I'm going to go back and read a really good Scandi Noir novel. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 22 Feb 2019, 00:42

:clap :rain

Just had some rain.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can smell the dry dusty earth soaking it up... a little more to come, looking at the radar... :bgrin

who knows what the day will bring..!!
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 22 Feb 2019, 07:54

After 2 weeks out of town, I am home. I unpacked my suitcase and after my nap, I will check on the chooks and clean a new pistol. (birthday present)

Lols - Congrats on the rain. I hear it's rare there. My wife said that we had "thunder sleet" this morning. I'd never heard of such, but I assume it is sleet in the middle of a thunder storm. We rarely get rain without it being a thunder storm. My son got about 7-8 cm of snow in Kansas, but I'm sure it is melted by now. My coworker in Oklahoma drove to New Mexico with the family over the weekend and went skiing.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 23 Feb 2019, 00:44

sigh

looks like Oma is not going to give us any rain of consequence.

Last month of summer here.

Rainfall usually decreases … in Autumn. Or Fall, as you call it.

I fear for my trees and critters...… this is awful weather...
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Feb 2019, 05:38

Fall is actually the english word for the season that follows summer. A nice word reflecting the sleep over winter. “Autumn” is a French import that should be shunned by those who love the English language.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53795
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 24 Feb 2019, 01:18

I don't dispute that at all HBS Guy.

When the Pilgrims headed to the New World, they took an older form of English with them. French became very important in Court and Legal matters for quite some time, in England. As a result the English spoken by we later offspring of the Empire incorporates many French spellings, terms and nuances which the US style of English never had ingrained.

I have tended to drop the U from many words.. and also the.. mme added to words like program.

A fascinating thing all in all.. Language. The only means by which humans can discourse across cultures.


Body language ? No... Not precise enough. Seriously, ONLY the written word has enabled humans to reach the degree of minutiae to allow any sort of peaceful dialogue, fraught as it is.


Sadly, from evidence seen every day, some folk in the U.S have lost the ability to understand words. They've reverted to an earlier human discourse of grunts, yells screams, gunfire and urban terrorism.
Communication BREAKDOWN.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby pinkeye » 24 Feb 2019, 01:27

sorry about that Tex and Seth. I just have a bit of a bee in my bonnet. :bgrin

I often hear passionate advocates saying what I am sure they think is correct, but is often saying the exact opposite of their intent. People are so poorly educated today, they can't speak coherent English. I see it every day.. on the TV , in the paper, and yes definitely on on-line news. it really concerns me because if the people that are supposed to be informing us of important News, can't even understand what they are saying, nothing we hear can be taken seriously. Spelling mistakes..?? Not so serious you think?
Wrong... it displays the absolute ignorance of the talking heads and producers of same, and their total lack of concern about veracity and facts.


very sad.. and I have to say.. TRUMP is incoherent, and makes no sense, most of the time. But it seems he's just ignorant enough to know what buttons to push.


Dumb and Dumber.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4179
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 24 Feb 2019, 02:54

pinkeye wrote:sorry about that Tex and Seth. I just have a bit of a bee in my bonnet. :bgrin

I often hear passionate advocates saying what I am sure they think is correct, but is often saying the exact opposite of their intent. People are so poorly educated today, they can't speak coherent English. I see it every day.. on the TV , in the paper, and yes definitely on on-line news. it really concerns me because if the people that are supposed to be informing us of important News, can't even understand what they are saying, nothing we hear can be taken seriously. Spelling mistakes..?? Not so serious you think?
Wrong... it displays the absolute ignorance of the talking heads and producers of same, and their total lack of concern about veracity and facts.


very sad.. and I have to say.. TRUMP is incoherent, and makes no sense, most of the time. But it seems he's just ignorant enough to know what buttons to push.


Dumb and Dumber.


Americas education system has been overwhelmed by millions of non English speaking people and they are dumming down our test scores and slowing down the education process for everybody. We are too PC to educate them separately from the American kids, unless we teach them in their original language. When I was a kid, we divided the kids by ability for core classes so that they could learn at a pace as fast as they could while not neglecting the kids who were slower. If you showed up at kindergarten knowing how to read, you were on the fast track. There was upward and downward mobility between the classes. We weren't stuck in a cast system. This was only for English and Math. The rest of our class assignments were more random. Education varies from city to city greatly. You can still get a decent education in many of the suburbs and in the rural areas. Most smart people in the big cities put their kids in private schools where political indoctrination is a little more difficult. Children 100 years ago were much more independent and prepared for life than today.

Our news outlets speak to the masses at a grade school level of understanding and they tease you with the headlines multiple times before giving you the story because they want to keep you viewing and watching commercials. Both media and education are overrun with liberal leadership in most cases. Kids now are getting a bunch of propaganda. Just yesterday, I read a story where grade schoolers were trying to tell a senator to vote for the Green New Deal socialist garbage in California. The Green New Deal is socialism in the name of environmentalism and it would ignore our sovereignty and quickly drag us to 3rd world status in a generation.
Texan
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Oct 2018, 13:38
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby johnsmith » 24 Feb 2019, 08:33

Texan wrote:When I was a kid, we divided the kids by ability for core classes so that they could learn at a pace as fast as they could while not neglecting the kids who were slower.


my kids school still does that. At my sons school they have for example 4 yr three classes. If this week they are doing multiplication for maths, the four classes all do the same work for a week to determine a base line, then next week for multiplication they get split different classes again depending on their abilities. The ones who do well go to an 'advanced' class', those struggling go to another class where the teacher can concentrate on them, the two classes in the middle work to increase their abilities to the advanced levels. The classes can change weekly depending on what concept they are teaching. A kid who struggles to understand the concept of multiplication, might quickly grasp the concept of subtraction. So they might be in the struggling class one week, and the advanced class the next week.

In the interests of not creating any adverse stigma, the kids usually are unaware of what class they are in (or at least they're not supposed to be aware, but the kids are clever enough to work it out by that age). They are only told who their teacher for the week will be for a particular concept they are studying. A teacher taking the advanced class this week might teach the struggling class next week (their usual class teacher still has them for most of the day. This system only kicks in for English and Maths portion of their day).

When they review (in this example) 'multiplication' in a few months time, they all do the same 'base line' testing, and any kid still struggling gets additional help with one on one tutoring with a teachers aide.



It works great.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9152
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Lols » 24 Feb 2019, 18:13

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:When I was a kid, we divided the kids by ability for core classes so that they could learn at a pace as fast as they could while not neglecting the kids who were slower.


my kids school still does that. At my sons school they have for example 4 yr three classes. If this week they are doing multiplication for maths, the four classes all do the same work for a week to determine a base line, then next week for multiplication they get split different classes again depending on their abilities. The ones who do well go to an 'advanced' class', those struggling go to another class where the teacher can concentrate on them, the two classes in the middle work to increase their abilities to the advanced levels. The classes can change weekly depending on what concept they are teaching. A kid who struggles to understand the concept of multiplication, might quickly grasp the concept of subtraction. So they might be in the struggling class one week, and the advanced class the next week.

In the interests of not creating any adverse stigma, the kids usually are unaware of what class they are in (or at least they're not supposed to be aware, but the kids are clever enough to work it out by that age). They are only told who their teacher for the week will be for a particular concept they are studying. A teacher taking the advanced class this week might teach the struggling class next week (their usual class teacher still has them for most of the day. This system only kicks in for English and Maths portion of their day).

When they review (in this example) 'multiplication' in a few months time, they all do the same 'base line' testing, and any kid still struggling gets additional help with one on one tutoring with a teachers aide.



It works great.

That’s very promising to read, and I always said, re: education, there is no ‘one size fits all’
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Lols
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 10 Jun 2014, 23:58
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests