What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby sherri » 29 Nov 2018, 05:58

Can't claim to be doing anything overly interesting at the moment. It's 6.21am, I am on the computer, just let the dog out & she is barking, as she does every morning. I'll have to go call her in in a minute, it is driving me round the bend.

But on the weekend when Texan posted, I was off seeing dead people.
Well, not exactly. But I did go up to Albury to visit the war cemetery there. My grandfather is buried there.
Bit eerie as I took a small bunch of flowers from home & on reflection, they were probably the first flowers left there by family in 75 years.

Then we went off to see Bonegilla, which started off as a military base in WW2 but was converted to a migrant hostel centre after that. Apparently 1:20 Australians can trace back to someone in their family having passed through there.

Later today if I get the energy, I might go out to look at a couple of kitchen companies. Ours needs a makeover.
sherri
puppy

spamone: Animal

Postby Texan » 29 Nov 2018, 06:10

I’m working at Texas Instruments, where they make micro chips. The integrated circuit was invented here.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 29 Nov 2018, 08:10

Texan wrote:I’m working at Texas Instruments, where they make micro chips. The integrated circuit was invented here.

Ah, TI has been a world leader for a long time
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 29 Nov 2018, 08:29

Working
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby Texan » 29 Nov 2018, 09:32

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Texan wrote:I’m working at Texas Instruments, where they make micro chips. The integrated circuit was invented here.

They have several buildings that are well over a km in length and width. The ceiling looks like spaghetti with all of the electrical lines and lines full of water, acids, inert gasses, and whatever they need to make micro chips. The walls are covered with electrical distribution panels for all of the equipment that processes the chemicals to support the fabrication in the clean room. I think the single campus I was on employs over 10000 people. I like the place, but the red tape and over abundance of safety procedures and personal protective equipment is a headache. I spend most of my day in a category 3 electrical suit and they are hot and make breathing difficult.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Nov 2018, 11:17

sherri wrote:Can't claim to be doing anything overly interesting at the moment. It's 6.21am, I am on the computer, just let the dog out & she is barking, as she does every morning. I'll have to go call her in in a minute, it is driving me round the bend.

Well, not exactly. But I did go up to Albury to visit the war cemetery there. My grandfather is buried there.
Bit eerie as I took a small bunch of flowers from home & on reflection, they were probably the first flowers left there by family in 75 years.

Then we went off to see Bonegilla, which started off as a military base in WW2 but was converted to a migrant hostel centre after that. Apparently 1:20 Australians can trace back to someone in their family having passed through there.

Later today if I get the energy, I might go out to look at a couple of kitchen companies. Ours needs a makeover.

I have a great uncle buried at Gallipoli, brother of my English maternal grandmother (Oma.) I do want to make another overseas trip sometime soonish, see the Haigha Sophia in Istanbull, could go and see if I can find his grave I suppose. He is buried in the English part of that futile bloody exercise. Now my Uncle Fred, who moved to England some time in the 1950s, has died finding out the details to locate the grave will be difficult.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Nov 2018, 15:31

Sprintcyclist wrote:

My first calculator at school was made by Texas Instruments.

greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Nov 2018, 15:54

I had a programmable calculator some time in the 60s or 70s, can’t remember what happened to it. Reverse Polish Notation and all.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Miranda » 29 Nov 2018, 16:05

spent the day x-mas shopping... was fun!
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Nov 2018, 16:11

Miranda wrote:spent the day x-mas shopping... was fun!

Seriously?

That would be absolute torture for me.

What am I doing right now?

Tidying up some files on my desk, then heading off for an extra long weekend.

There'll be no shopping, but there will be an awful lot of drinking and eating.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 29 Nov 2018, 16:36

Don't tell Seth this bit:

Got a Swiss Army pocket knife my Son gave to me (engraved with my name) many, many years ago...engraved with my Grandson's (Son of that Son) name to hand to him for Xmas.

It's okay to tell Seth this bit:

(Said Grandson already has his mounted Gold Sovereign).....decided to get a necklace setting made up to include a Gold Sovereign for (his Sister) my Grand-daughter for Xmas.

I am now reduced to having but ONE Gold Sovereign.....having given them all away.

:sad

Poor me.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Texan » 29 Nov 2018, 22:05

HBS Guy wrote:I had a programmable calculator some time in the 60s or 70s, can’t remember what happened to it. Reverse Polish Notation and all.

I got through college with a Hewlett-Packard calculator that used RPN. I loved that calculator. Nobody else knew how to use it and couldn’t borrow it. HP 32N
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 29 Nov 2018, 22:09

I'm about to have a late dinner.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 30 Nov 2018, 04:10

Getting a massage. :bgrin
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby greggerypeccary » 30 Nov 2018, 10:46

greggerypeccary wrote:

Seriously?

Having a hangover, right now.

Oh well - my extra long weekend is about to kick off!

Starting the morning with a cruise down the river.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 30 Nov 2018, 11:03

[/b]
Aussie wrote:Don't tell Seth this bit:

Got a Swiss Army pocket knife my Son gave to me (engraved with my name) many, many years ago...engraved with my Grandson's (Son of that Son) name to hand to him for Xmas.

You outlaw! :OMG

Aussie wrote:It's okay to tell Seth this bit:

(Said Grandson already has his mounted Gold Sovereign).....decided to get a necklace setting made up to include a Gold Sovereign for (his Sister) my Grand-daughter for Xmas.

I am now reduced to having but ONE Gold Sovereign.....having given them all away.

:sad

Poor me.

Nice! :thumb
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 30 Nov 2018, 11:06

greggerypeccary wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Seriously?

Having a hangover, right now.

Oh well - my extra long weekend is about to kick off!

Starting the morning with a cruise down the river.

Don't get drunk and fall out of the boat. Did you see any crocs?
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby Lols » 30 Nov 2018, 11:59

So I had a late night sorting through all the digi photos I took last year, as sometimes I save them doubled up!
Now, I can pick them for the photo book I am doing for the year. Instead of printing out photos, I just do a yearly photo book.

They say, with regards to this digital age, that a photo isn't a photo unless it's printed!
This younger gen will not go and get photos printed, they just store it on their phones, or in a cloud.

Anyway, so today, I have done something else, looked at the new $50 note that came in hand, and posted a post about it just now :bgrin

Also what I did this morning, sorting out the DVD's....they take up so much valuable real estate inside the house!
I bought all these pvc pockets, to put the dvd and cover in. Then into a A5 binder folder. What took up 25 spaces of dvds, now only take up 3 spaces of dvds.
I know my son has this Apple tv box thingamagic, and he watches movies that way, no DVD's or DVD player...their lounge room looks naked!

Me must still be old fashioned then!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 30 Nov 2018, 12:07

HBS Guy wrote:
sherri wrote:Can't claim to be doing anything overly interesting at the moment. It's 6.21am, I am on the computer, just let the dog out & she is barking, as she does every morning. I'll have to go call her in in a minute, it is driving me round the bend.

I have a great uncle buried at Gallipoli, brother of my English maternal grandmother (Oma.) I do want to make another overseas trip sometime soonish, see the Haigha Sophia in Istanbull, could go and see if I can find his grave I suppose. He is buried in the English part of that futile bloody exercise. Now my Uncle Fred, who moved to England some time in the 1950s, has died finding out the details to locate the grave will be difficult.

Are you in Ancestry or something similar Monk?
I am amazed what I have found out on Ancestry, this deserves a whole thread topic on it's own.

Have your DNA done also, it was on special just this week for $88, I paid more than double that a couple years ago when I had mine done.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 30 Nov 2018, 12:14

Sherri, Interesting you mentioned Bonegilla, I had never heard of it until about 4 years ago, when we flew to Sydney for a funeral (my late dad's first cousin)….well, the brother in law, in his late 70', whilst we sat around the table, started taking about this "Bonegilla" for quite some time, I had no idea why, must have been having his flashbacks, it must have made a huge impression upon him to have it come up so in his memoirs of his life to talk about it. Maybe the family all heard it over and over, as none said anything. But I listened with interest, I love people telling me about their lives and what effects them.

So now I know, there was someone in our family (dad's first cousins husband) that went via Bonegilla. My parents never did, they came straight of the ship and into a rented place in Melbourne, and dad worked for Wiltshire, and mum worked in a hospital as a cleaner.

It must have been the latter immigrants, some 10 years after or so that went to Bonegilla?
I must look it up and learn more about it now :bgrin
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Nov 2018, 13:19

We arrived in South Australia in 1957, got taken to Woodside Immigration camp. Used to be a military camp. Cold, wet, unsealed roads, toilets couple hundred metres away. Still remember Dad coming back from the dining hut with our breakfast, including some grey sausages standing up in a teacup. {shudder} Glenelg hostel was better. Such lousy food tho! Mum lived off coleslaw, us kids hung out for fish and chips on Fridays. Then they stopped serving the f&c! A Rotterdammer barged into the kitchens and with voluminous oaths got the f&c reinstated. When that family left tho they took them off the menu again. Must have been creaming off $$$ from the food bill!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 30 Nov 2018, 14:14

So tomorrow I'm going to work on some of my house gutters. How exciting, right? :nah

And right now I'm sitting at my desk writing this post and drinking the beer I'm going to talk about tomorrow in the beer thread.

My cat is keeping me company ...

Baron 13.JPG

Baron 12.JPG

I think if I were reincarnated as an animal, I would want to be reincarnated as a cat or dog whose human masters loved him/her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby sherri » 30 Nov 2018, 16:40

HBS Guy wrote:We arrived in South Australia in 1957, got taken to Woodside Immigration camp. Used to be a military camp. Cold, wet, unsealed roads, toilets couple hundred metres away. Still remember Dad coming back from the dining hut with our breakfast, including some grey sausages standing up in a teacup. {shudder} Glenelg hostel was better. Such lousy food tho! Mum lived off coleslaw, us kids hung out for fish and chips on Fridays. Then they stopped serving the f&c! A Rotterdammer barged into the kitchens and with voluminous oaths got the f&c reinstated. When that family left tho they took them off the menu again. Must have been creaming off $$$ from the food bill!

Bonegilla started off life as a military camp too, in WW2.
After that, the army huts were used to house migrants.

It was interesting as when we visited last weekend, one of the staff members there was saying he had parents who had passed through Bonegilla, though they didn't actually meet there.
He was telling us about what the camp was like for the migrants & the harsh conditions. No heating and outdoor toilets some distance away, not sewered.

I am sure all the youngies who hear this probably think how dreadful to treat migrants like that but I pointed out to the man it was no different in general Australian society at that time (1946-1960). I can recall as a young child, our first home had a toilet right at the back of the long block (why it wasn't positioned a little closer to the house I will never know!) and my parents' second home wasn't sewered till 1967 either.
And my parents never had ducted heating & cooling till 2002. There was a heater in the lounge, which started off life in 1959 as an open fireplace.
sherri
puppy

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 Dec 2018, 06:27

Weekend off and probably the first one in 6 weeks that isn't full of stuff to do, we have a big market in the Town I live this morning (first sat of every month) might get some new AUssie native tree's to plant , I'm collecting the ones with edible fruit, would love a whole property with every plant edible :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Dec 2018, 06:52

You and every bird in the neighborhood. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit