What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 30 Jun 2019, 09:27

I’m grilling steaks on my covered back patio in a wild thunderstorm. Wind are about 60-70 Khmer and power keeps going on and off with the lightning strikes.
Texan
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby Texan » 07 Jul 2019, 06:01

My granddaughter just woke from a 2 hour nap on my chest. I didn't even sleep and it was the best nap I ever took.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 07 Jul 2019, 08:54

Texan wrote:My granddaughter just woke from a 2 hour nap on my chest. I didn't even sleep and it was the best nap I ever took.

They were some of the best memories of when my boys were small. :thumb :thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Jul 2019, 09:07

:smitten
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 08 Jul 2019, 03:24

Watching the NASCAR race. Daytona, baby!
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 08 Jul 2019, 05:51

SethBullock wrote:Watching the NASCAR race. Daytona, baby!

Watch out for the right turns!
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jul 2019, 13:12

Just finished a bowl of oatmeal. More wintry weather this week but still warm by comparison to past winters. Bits of rain have lowered temperatures but 14-16 is still very mild.

About to tidy some stuff up and start work designing my two pergolas.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Jul 2019, 13:23

SethBullock wrote:Watching the NASCAR race. Daytona, baby!

Watched a NASCAR movie on the weekend.

'Logan Lucky'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5439796/

Pretty good :thumb
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Texan » 09 Jul 2019, 09:34

I'm leaving for work in Georgetown, TX tonight. My son and his family are leaving for their home in the morning.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jul 2019, 12:00

I've been working on fences.

25-30 years ago, I built all of the fences around my house. Well, time and weather (Yes, we have weather in Oregon) have taken their toll, and I decided to replace a couple of them.

Lol ...

I was in my 30's when I last built those fences. I'm 64 now. I feel like I'm working in slow motion compared to then. It seems to take me 3 times longer to get anything done. Back then, I just bored ahead "All ahead full", all day without rest. Now I just sort of peck away at a job like this ... And I need to rest between spurts of work.

From the back yard ... The only thing I kept from 30 years ago was the fence post.
fence.JPG

From the front
I know it looks like the gate is way below the fence line, but my house sits on the side of a hill, and it slopes down that way. And I wanted the fence boards to come all the way to the ground to keep unwanted critters out (we have a lot of them around here) and to keep our pets in.
fence 4.JPG

My mess of tools and scrap on my back porch, and Shmooshy, enjoying being outside (underneath the chair).
fence 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jul 2019, 12:15

And over on the other side of the house, I've tore out the old fence, leaving only a post. And I'm going to rebuild all that next. On the left side of the picture you can see fencing I built 30 years ago, and along the back. It's held up pretty well, all things considered. But, perhaps next year, I'll rebuild that back fence.
fence 2.JPG

And a picture of the American flag at my house ... just because ... :bgrin If you look closely, you can see the American flag hanging off the porch of my neighbor's house across the street.
fence5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 17 Jul 2019, 14:09

Nice work, Seth. What am I doing right now?

I am home after a game of golf. Having a VB, watching Fox and typing this. Reason for the post is my mate Gav, scored a net 66 this morning. I managed par at 72. Gav was in the winner's seat with that 66.

Gets in the Club House and some bastard does him with a 65......afer a hole-in-one. Gav in his cups. I am pissing myself laughing as if he had won, it would have cost me a Fiddy.

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 17 Jul 2019, 15:15

Aussie wrote:Nice work, Seth. What am I doing right now?

I am home after a game of golf. Having a VB, watching Fox and typing this. Reason for the post is my mate Gav, scored a net 66 this morning. I managed par at 72. Gav was in the winner's seat with that 66.

Gets in the Club House and some bastard does him with a 65......afer a hole-in-one. Gav in his cups. I am pissing myself laughing as if he had won, it would have cost me a Fiddy.

:bgrin

Lol! Hey, now you've got beer money! :beer

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 17 Jul 2019, 21:12

I just worked all night. It’s almost 7 here. I’m going to let the dogs and chickens out and go to bed.

Nice work on the fence, Seth.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 18 Jul 2019, 01:23

I'm recovering from 2 hours in the chair at the Dental Clinic.. Attached to a reasonably local hospital. It takes me about 45 mins to get there, and they train young dentists. As a pensioner I have little other choice. Very dedicated BUT their admin needs work .

But I got lucky today. I'd had 'mmediate' dentures made, about a year ago. That is, they take out your teeth.. in my case upper all remaining.. about 4.. then they shove on these dentures. It is quite a process.
:yellow
So a year on I'm supposed to have had a 'hard' fitting, to complete the process, but somehow that didn't happen.

So I've rocked up :roll a couple of times now, expecting this,, BUT Nah, no-one knows whats happening because I get the last yr students, who then move on, but you know I can't complain.

So today I got lucky bigtime.

I had actually worn a hole through part of the denture ( an upper) because of the pressure on the lower actual teeth. They had never seen that before.!!

I ended up getting the head doctor in charge of Dentures, personally making this second part happen, and the other Doctor, not Dentures, took on one of my bad old back fillings. WOW.

They moved their arses. I'm going back tomorrow.. I am not sure what they're going to do other than finefit the dentures. It is possible they will remove an ancient wisdom tooth, as well.. :tweed

wish me luck.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jul 2019, 07:05

Dentist, yuck!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 18 Jul 2019, 07:19

I hope all went well at the dentist.

I am eating Mexican food with the lovely Mrs Texan.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 19 Jul 2019, 00:18

:bgrin Ha ha.

Well I've had soft fried eggs and baked beans and a fried tomato.

Yep... had the dentures fitted.. oh my god that was painful. But , it got done. Phew. More to be done soon.
Then

Oh well ...now we should really remove that wisdom tooth.

Eeuw.. I stressed about it .. then thought.. yeah go for it.

I gritted my teeth. :bgrin :roll :roll

So

Whoopy doo I get to go back again end of the month.. to check on the denture, the hole where my tooth was, and likely a big filling on the other side.!

I have remained stoic. Modern day dentistry, even done by students, sure beats the old days.

Long time teeth issues. !!! IF you have problems, you'd feel better getting 'm cared for.

Go on, don't be scaredy cats. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 19 Jul 2019, 03:15

So far, teeth haven't been an issue for me. I know my day is coming. I could use a good teeth cleaning, but other than that, I haven't needed to see a dentist in 17 years. I had my wisdom teeth yanked just before I got out of the military. I remember the young dentist putting his knee on my chest to get the leverage to pull one of the teeth out. It wasn't painful, but I didn't forget it.

I don't work until tomorrow morning, so I "volunteered" to help grocery shop with the Mrs. Joy.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jul 2019, 17:12

Relaxing with a glass of rosé. Back after 2 days in the Lower North of my state (Clare Valley.)

Nice lunch at a winery (Polish Hill River, Paullet’s Wines, a few bottles to bring home. Was only going to be the one day but I thought “Fuck it, tomorrow is a nice day, let us make a holiday out of it” and we did.

Memorable part of the trip: we went to Burra where we had breakfast then to Hallett then Jamestown—on the way we drove quite close to a windfarm. Lovely, CO2 free energy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 20 Jul 2019, 09:33

HBS Guy wrote:Relaxing with a glass of rosé. Back after 2 days in the Lower North of my state (Clare Valley.)

Nice lunch at a winery (Polish Hill River, Paullet’s Wines, a few bottles to bring home. Was only going to be the one day but I thought “Fuck it, tomorrow is a nice day, let us make a holiday out of it” and we did.

Memorable part of the trip: we went to Burra where we had breakfast then to Hallett then Jamestown—on the way we drove quite close to a windfarm. Lovely, CO2 free energy!

Your wind farms look a lot like Texas wind farms. GE makes most of our wind generators. Who makes yours? Just curious. Siemens? Fujitsu? Mitsubishi?

Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Jul 2019, 10:51

No idea who makes ours. Not us anyway.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 20 Jul 2019, 12:30

I used to work for GE Digital Energy. I considered cross training into servicing wind generators. My kids were young and I would have had to move away from our families, so I stayed where I was. I left GE to keep working for the previous owner of my company who left GE and started anew. I'm wanting to provide my own electricity on some remote land in East Texas. I'd like for it to be my legacy to my family to have a self sufficient estate to pass down for a few generations. My youngest finishes school next year, so I need to get past the dreaming stage pretty soon.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Jul 2019, 14:25

Yes, I do too, not to my children (have none) but to a great niece whose mother has had a string of health issues preventing work tho she tries hard to find some (bones in neck degenerating, sounds frightening.)

In maybe 20 years a Tassie property with passive solar design, straw bale walls, a clean roof line to the north for solar panels and two windmills might be valuable. Other nieces are doing OK and it is my property and I can leave it to whoever I want. I will have a trust set up, no huge Lands Titles Office fees if my block actually becomes very valuable (lot of interest in Tassie apparently.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 21 Jul 2019, 01:03

Texan wrote:I used to work for GE Digital Energy. I considered cross training into servicing wind generators. My kids were young and I would have had to move away from our families, so I stayed where I was. I left GE to keep working for the previous owner of my company who left GE and started anew. I'm wanting to provide my own electricity on some remote land in East Texas. I'd like for it to be my legacy to my family to have a self sufficient estate to pass down for a few generations. My youngest finishes school next year, so I need to get past the dreaming stage pretty soon.

Nah, keep dreaming or you've given up I say
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit