What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby SethBullock » 13 Mar 2019, 23:16

Texan wrote:This is kind of funny. The lovely Mrs. Texan insisted on going tent camping this week. I’m in a tent with my family in a severe thunderstorm with 80 km/hr winds. The wind pulled out some of the tent stakes and we had to put them back in while others held the tent down from the inside. We are dry again and the rain should end in a couple of hours.

Haha, I can see that perfectly because it happened to me and my young family years ago out along the Snake River. We were in a dome tent, my wife, two young children, and I. And we had a wind storm hit us so hard that it would flatten that dome tent down on top of us until the gust backed off. Only our combined weight inside it kept it from coming loose (or tearing loose) from the tent stakes. Thunder and lightening that sounded like it was right on top of us too.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby SethBullock » 13 Mar 2019, 23:21

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:This is kind of funny. The lovely Mrs. Texan insisted on going tent camping this week. I’m in a tent with my family in a severe thunderstorm with 80 km/hr winds. The wind pulled out some of the tent stakes and we had to put them back in while others held the tent down from the inside. We are dry again and the rain should end in a couple of hours.

Mrs Texan may be lovely....but it would not matter how lovely as there is no way this Black Duck would be camping. Stuff that. I like the dunny and shower where it is.....in the Home. Don't mind camp fire cooking, but that's it. Out there in wind and rain....yay!

Not. :tweed

Not to mention your spiders, snakes and crocs, and your man-eating horses, all of whom are lying in wait for stupid humans to go camping.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 14 Mar 2019, 03:27

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

ah what an adventure eh?
I could relate a similar tale of a Dome tent in a severe weather event.. :roll it was an experience. :OMG

I have to admit camping can be fun, BUT... far better to have a wee home in amongst the trees. Falling branches ??
High winds?? Where what rreally? I was snug in my home ..a massive storm went over, trees down, (not near me) and I slept right through it. When I went outside later, I thought WOW..!! how did I miss that..? :bgrin

Now this sounds a bit like tempting fate. So I'm knocking on wood.!! Oh my , what Have I said.!! :OMG

S'posed to rain here soon.. it has been a hellish summer, and Autumn has brought temps in the high 30' and more! It was 40 ' here the other day. And 39' before and after.
A record high for March. My aircon has been going non-stop.

Wouldn't catch me camping in this. I 've been staying inside most of the time.

I am concerned about the future weather... we (humans) do not have any say now in what hits us. Tornadoes killing people, heat killing people , diseases killing people.

Sadly, it isn't enough. people this is just the start. Fear for your children.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 14 Mar 2019, 19:42

SethBullock wrote:

Haha, I can see that perfectly because it happened to me and my young family years ago out along the Snake River. We were in a dome tent, my wife, two young children, and I. And we had a wind storm hit us so hard that it would flatten that dome tent down on top of us until the gust backed off. Only our combined weight inside it kept it from coming loose (or tearing loose) from the tent stakes. Thunder and lightening that sounded like it was right on top of us too.

First time i took the kids camping we had hail in the morning and by early afternoon temps were 30+ with the kids swimming an nearby creek to cool down .... they loved it. A bit of weather makes it more memorable.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 14 Mar 2019, 19:50

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Mrs Texan may be lovely....but it would not matter how lovely as there is no way this Black Duck would be camping. Stuff that. I like the dunny and shower where it is.....in the Home. Don't mind camp fire cooking, but that's it. Out there in wind and rain....yay!

Not. :tweed

Not to mention your spiders, snakes and crocs, and your man-eating horses, all of whom are lying in wait for stupid humans to go camping.

give me a snake or spider over a cougar or bear any day.

Reminds we off a trek I took with the missus on a Romanian mountain once. Took us 3 hrs to get to the top(she told me it would only take an hour :smack ). When we decided to head back down, with about an hour to go until dusk, i asked her if there were bears or wolves in the mountains. She said yes of course. (Romania has the largest wild wolf population in Europe if not the world) :b :b :b

We made it down in 30 mins flat. I was determined to be off that mountain before it got dark. The only problem was that in coming down we went in a straight line instead of following the track, so we lost our position in relation to the car. By the time we hit the road we had no idea if the car was to the left or the right of us. I figured we had a 50/50 chance so I opted to go right, I think I used the eenie meenie mineeie moe method). 15 mins later we found the car. Boy was I happy .... :hot
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 14 Mar 2019, 22:52

Most people don't realize it, but Texas is also home to Jaguars. They can eat a cougar for lunch. Good thing they are rare. We were hoping to see some wildlife. All we saw were prairie dogs. We heard coyotes from our tent at night and I heard 2 raccoons fighting over something left outside, but we didn't even see the bison that are supposedly all over the park. We saw bison patties everywhere, but not a single bison. They've been known to wander through the campsites. After the first night, the tent fell apart. The winds increased to 100km\hr. We patched the tent back together, but we didn't trust it for the night. After a day of hiking and getting showers, we cooked and ate dinner and packed up and headed for a hotel. I'm eating breakfast in front of the tv as I type. We needed the good sleep.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 14 Mar 2019, 23:04

Texan wrote:Most people don't realize it, but Texas is also home to Jaguars. They can eat a cougar for lunch. Good thing they are rare. We were hoping to see some wildlife. All we saw were prairie dogs. We heard coyotes from our tent at night and I heard 2 raccoons fighting over something left outside, but we didn't even see the bison that are supposedly all over the park. We saw bison patties everywhere, but not a single bison. They've been known to wander through the campsites. After the first night, the tent fell apart. The winds increased to 100km\hr. We patched the tent back together, but we didn't trust it for the night. After a day of hiking and getting showers, we cooked and ate dinner and packed up and headed for a hotel. I'm eating breakfast in front of the tv as I type. We needed the good sleep.

The Prosecution rests!!!!
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Aussie » 14 Mar 2019, 23:06

As I am about to do. 10.35 pm here, and way past my bedtime.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 15 Mar 2019, 04:01

sweet dreams
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 15 Mar 2019, 20:06

Texan wrote: The winds increased to 100km\hr.

:b

far to windy for a tent.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 17 Mar 2019, 05:10

I'm trying to come to terms with the NZ massacre, perpetrated by an AUSTRALIAN.

Not only am I finding it hard to understand, on a very deep level, I am also disgusted by some comments made in response.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 17 Mar 2019, 06:30

pinkeye wrote:I'm trying to come to terms with the NZ massacre, perpetrated by an AUSTRALIAN.

Not only am I finding it hard to understand, on a very deep level, I am also disgusted by some comments made in response.

I haven’t read his “manifesto “, but I heard he chose guns as his weapon because he wants to encourage gun control, even in the US. I haven’t decided whether or not I want read that garbage or not.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Previous

Return to Sand Pit