What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby Lols » 05 Dec 2018, 11:11

Just got back from Motor Reg Branch in Burwood, got the club reg plate finally!
What a lot of hassle to get the ole '59 Caddy road worthy AND engineers stamp for the airbags...the engineer just to tell us what to do, and we got it done, and he charges $1400, he did nothing to the car, just look and tell, and look and pass and collect the do$h….gosh :b
We were a the Motor Reg Branch by 7.40 am, first ones there, and by 8.30 am before it opened was a huge crowd waiting outside!!
I wasn't letting my no. 1 spot go! Right in front! :bgrin The early bird etc.....
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Dec 2018, 16:19

I was glad when online rego renewals were possible. What a hassle to do it in person!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 05 Dec 2018, 16:21

HBS Guy wrote:I was glad when online rego renewals were possible. What a hassle to do it in person!

Same. Going in there is so demoralising.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Dec 2018, 16:46

Not wrong!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Miranda » 05 Dec 2018, 18:21

mothra wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:I was glad when online rego renewals were possible. What a hassle to do it in person!

I don't drive, so I have to ask, what is so demoralizing about going to pay rego?
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby greggerypeccary » 05 Dec 2018, 18:28

mothra wrote:

Can't you pay at the post office?

We've had online payments here for years.

:?
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 05 Dec 2018, 18:54

greggerypeccary wrote:
mothra wrote:

Yes, you can pay at a PO. But....Lols was a different kettle of fish. That could not have been done on line or anywhere other than at the Dept of Transport/Main Roads.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Lols » 05 Dec 2018, 19:12

Aussie wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
mothra wrote:

Yes, you can pay at a PO. But....Lols was a different kettle of fish. That could not have been done on line or anywhere other than at the Dept of Transport/Main Roads.

Exactamundo Aussie, you got that right.
We knew it would be a chaotic experience from past times, and probably wait in line for hours, so we got up at sparrow, waited an hour before it opened by 8.30am and was first in, I was at that entry waiting, and not going anywhere to lose my first in best dressed serving! But geez, did everyone rush in and was crazeeee. :roll We had to get a different ticket for club reg plates to be handed over after showing all the paperwork from the Club we are registered with etc.
It's not all that breezy eazy to get club reg these days, 2 years ago, didn't have to get road worthy, now we do have to, but at least we don't pay full reg, and we don't pay stamp duty on the value of the car bought.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 05 Dec 2018, 19:30

We had to get a different ticket for club reg plates to be handed over after showing all the paperwork from the Club we are registered with etc.

Yeah.....that dumb ticket thing would not have had an option for 'Club Rego,' etc. But...fact is....going there is a real pain in the arse. Only once, have I ever walked in, got a ticket, and called to a counter straight away. It is a disaster zone.
Aussie

Postby Aussie » 05 Dec 2018, 19:32

You ought to try the merry-go-round when you try to put a new Cab on the road. The counter Ladies have no far king idea.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Dec 2018, 19:48

So make it a Über vehicle. . . . . . :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 05 Dec 2018, 19:59

HBS Guy wrote:So make it a Über vehicle. . . . . . :bgrin

:smack :up :smack
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 05 Dec 2018, 21:13

Aussie wrote:The counter Ladies have no far king idea.

a bit like most cabbies :c :c
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 05 Dec 2018, 21:38

johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:The counter Ladies have no far king idea.

a bit like most cabbies :c :c

Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 05 Dec 2018, 21:41

:rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 13 Dec 2018, 09:48

When I lived in Dallas County, I’ve waited about 90 minutes to pay my annual registration, but since moving to a smaller county, 10 minutes is the most I’ve had to wait. Annual registration costs about $110 with safety and emissions inspections. We can pay in the mail or online. Texas has very reasonable taxes. We are one of 6 states that pay no state income tax.

My son would pay about $700 per car in Kansas if he didn’t have a military exemption. Otherwise, he would register it in TX, since he maintains TX as his home of record.

That reminds me. I need to renew my drivers license and my License To Carry online this weekend.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 13 Dec 2018, 10:14

Does registration fees differ much from state to state in the US? It does here in Oz unbelievably! For instance, apart from it going up every year like most things, in Victorua we are practically half to Queensland! Any wonder most car hire companies have Victorian registration!!
Anyhow, what am I doing now, going cross eyed doing one finger typing on iPhone cussing predictive text as I am up in Queensland visiting daughter! Going to take her up the Q1 observation, just wondering if we should go at night instead. I ordered this cover thing to put front of camera to stop window reflection when taking photos through windows, but it didn’t come in time to take away with me. Will put up photos of views when I can, maybe when back on home computer. Feels hot and stuffy here today already!!
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 13 Dec 2018, 10:22

Lols wrote:Does registration fees differ much from state to state in the US? It does here in Oz unbelievably! For instance, apart from it going up every year like most things, in Victorua we are practically half to Queensland! Any wonder most car hire companies have Victorian registration!!
Anyhow, what am I doing now, going cross eyed doing one finger typing on iPhone cussing predictive text as I am up in Queensland visiting daughter! Going to take her up the Q1 observation, just wondering if we should go at night instead. I ordered this cover thing to put front of camera to stop window reflection when taking photos through windows, but it didn’t come in time to take away with me. Will put up photos of views when I can, maybe when back on home computer. Feels hot and stuffy here today already!!

QLD - $721.60 , this includes 3 separate items :-
Registration fee $321.35
Traffic improvement fee $56.05
CTP insurance premium $344.20

The compulsory CTP increases it.

seems about the same

Vehicle location Total cost
Metropolitan area (High risk zone) $816.50
Outer metropolitan (Medium risk zone) $762.60
Rural (Low risk zone) $699.90

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/registration-fees/vehicle-registration-fees#aside
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby Texan » 13 Dec 2018, 10:30

Vehicle registration and licenses are state functions, so they are different in all 50 states. My house would cost 3-4 times as much in California or New York with state taxes(and inflation).

LOls - Don’t use your flash and keep interior light at a minimum. Have fun. We will be going to Kansas around New Years to become grandparents. :beer :jump :beer
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Miranda » 13 Dec 2018, 11:41

Miranda wrote:
mothra wrote:

I don't drive, so I have to ask, what is so demoralizing about going to pay rego?

BUMP

Anyone can answer. :tweed
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby Texan » 13 Dec 2018, 11:53

Miranda wrote:
Miranda wrote:
mothra wrote:

BUMP

Anyone can answer. :tweed

I can't answer for Aussies, but it sucks to take time out of your day and wait in line to pay taxes for permission to drive your car that you paid thousands of dollars for and own outright.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 13 Dec 2018, 15:03

I'm up late doing paperwork for my job this week at Texas Instruments. I worked on my most expensive unit today. One mistake would have cost TI $100M. I'm always amazed that they let me breathe on it.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 13 Dec 2018, 15:13

Texan wrote:I'm up late doing paperwork for my job this week at Texas Instruments. I worked on my most expensive unit today. One mistake would have cost TI $100M. I'm always amazed that they let me breathe on it.

:b :WTF :b
Aussie

Postby Texan » 13 Dec 2018, 15:43

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm up late doing paperwork for my job this week at Texas Instruments. I worked on my most expensive unit today. One mistake would have cost TI $100M. I'm always amazed that they let me breathe on it.

:b :WTF :b

The equipment I work on provides uninterrupted power to the computers that control the microchip manufacturing process in a very large plant. There are millions of dollars of microchip wafers in production and the computers that control everything guide the machines through millions of steps. An interruption in power causes the whole process to reboot and they have to scrap all of the wafers and the man hours of setup and maintenance, and all of the acids and chemicals that are piped all over the building for the machines have been wasted. The building is over a km long and at least 500-600 meters wide. I have averaged a 5k every day this week working there. They actually let me take the system to bypass for periodic maintenance. That left them at the mercy of the utility company for 45 minutes until I got them back on line. I would have scheduled the maintenance between production cycles or at least went to generator before bypassing the system, but that's not how they roll.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2018, 16:05

Had a couple things to do. No 1, take dog to vet for annual checkup and vaccinations. Walked there (with Mum, read on for why) and went in to see the vet. Vet tried to shove a thermometer you know where and Demi was not having a bar of it, {growl} <snap!> (missed.) So a muzzle was put on and the vet tried to use the stethoscope and got the same reaction. :WTF Before going into the vet I got Demi weighed, she had lost 1Kg since the last visit. Vet sort it hinted it could be cancer but also other things, tests could be done.

Will beef up her food a bit, keep an eye on her weight.

So pay the vet and start walking to the place for the next thing—Mum needs to do some walking—which is a denture place: I had made toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches and slightly over toasted it: crack went a tooth out of Mum’s denture. 12.00pm tomorrow to have it fixed. Going for a walk was not a good idea: rain started pounding down! :oops We got to the denture place a bit wet. Me and dog went and got the car, picked up Mum and headed off to Clarendon with the car heater turned up high.

Parked right outside the antique shop there. Sat in the car like 10 minutes—was raining again. It is a lovely shop with a lot of Scandinavian items. Bought 8 crystal wine glasses (actually, nine glasses in the set.) Great glasses, real leaded crystal (will soak the glasses in dilute vinegar to remove surface lead.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit