What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

What are you doing right now?

Postby Texan » 25 Nov 2018, 11:04

If you are doing something interesting, let us know. I’ll start.

We have a metal fire pit on our back patio. We are sitting around the fire and listening to the coyotes. They hunt in the pasture behind my house almost every night. My chickens have tucked themselves in and the dogs are playing and barking at the coyotes if they get too close. It’s been good to have all of my sons home for the holiday.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby johnsmith » 25 Nov 2018, 11:09

Listening to the kids playing in the other room, pretending to battle each other with their legos (when they're not throwing them at each other), whilst I decide what to do for the day.

So far it's looking like a day of lounging around doing not much at all. Wifey dearest apparently didn't sleep well . I'll probably just clean the pool and tidy the yard.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 25 Nov 2018, 11:16

Watching the T20 Final Aus v Poms (womens) coming from West Indies. Shortly, over to the World Cup of Golf out of Melbourne. Aus coming 4th but within striking distance of the Leader which I think is Belguim.

The top will come off the first can in about two hours. Dinner organised....chicken kievs. Apart from that....watching what the Cab is up to on my desktop, and then SFA.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Texan » 25 Nov 2018, 11:23

I went to my first baby shower this morning. They are traditionally women only affairs, but times are changing and it was for my granddaughter. My mom stole the show. She made a patchwork quilt for my granddaughter. My mom can do anything.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 25 Nov 2018, 11:39

Texan wrote:I went to my first baby shower this morning. They are traditionally women only affairs, but times are changing and it was for my granddaughter. My mom stole the show. She made a patchwork quilt for my granddaughter. My mom can do anything.

That generation generally could do anything. But men at baby showers.........nah. That's UnAustralian!

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 25 Nov 2018, 11:41

Shortly after my previous post I remembered I had to grout a shower base which I re-tiled yesterday. Damn.

Ohh well, good thing that grout doesn't take to long. :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 25 Nov 2018, 12:00

johnsmith wrote:Shortly after my previous post I remembered I had to grout a shower base which I re-tiled yesterday. Damn.

My 17 year old spent the past Summer break from school working for a friends construction company. He primarily lay tile and did the grout work. It's good for a boy to learn to work and get useful skills, even if he chooses to pursue a career teaching music. That's where he is leaning now, but he has about 18 months of high school left. He'll be laying more tile next Summer.

The hard part is keeping everybody off of the tile while the grout dries.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 25 Nov 2018, 12:43

Texan wrote:
johnsmith wrote:Shortly after my previous post I remembered I had to grout a shower base which I re-tiled yesterday. Damn.

My 17 year old spent the past Summer break from school working for a friends construction company. He primarily lay tile and did the grout work. It's good for a boy to learn to work and get useful skills, even if he chooses to pursue a career teaching music. That's where he is leaning now, but he has about 18 months of high school left. He'll be laying more tile next Summer.

The hard part is keeping everybody off of the tile while the grout dries.

I'm actually finished already. Got the 9 year old to help, he pushed the grout into the joints, then I sponged it down. He loves this stuff. I'm hoping he learns a bit of everything. Once he's older, he'll be better positioned to decide which way he wants to go. He's very clever with a brilliant memory so I am doubtful he'll be a tradesman, but you never know. On the other hand, that might just be wishful thinking ion dads part. :roll

When I was a teenager, I used to spend all my summers helping my dad who was a builder. I learnt a lot of stuff that later on became useful when I managed the residential complex. Even though I wasn't required to, I was able to do a lot of repairs myself, and charge extra for it, rather than outsource it.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 25 Nov 2018, 13:18

And....Australia easily wins that T20 World Final against the Poms.

Belguim still in the lead in Golf....Aussies second and 4 shots behind. Team US is tied for 16th.

Top is off the first can.

Aussie

Postby Aussie » 25 Nov 2018, 14:01

Forgot to mention....T20 (cricket) Aus v India (men) at 5.50 pm. That starts not long after the Golf finishes.

*Bliss*
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2018, 15:08

Trying to put off doing something useful.

Drinking a Knee Deep Brewing (CA) “Breaking Bud” IPA. A Bud drinker would curl up his toes and die, I imagine. Needs more hops.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 25 Nov 2018, 15:38

Had an early start to the morning, whilst hubby and I drove daughter to Tullamarine Airport (like to leave with heaps of extra time as who knows what the traffic could be like).
Got there with ample time (ps...we are still spewing about Labour tearing up the contract to make a tunnel under the cemetary to ease congestion of Eastlink when it comes to a damned bottleneck standstill at the end....oh well, maybe next lifetime) So the traffic and pick ups and drop offs were chaotic at Tulla :WTF never seen it soooo busy.

Went to Knox Shopping Centre on the way back (hubby hates shopping in those places!)....and wow, so many cars and people, then I realized, it was this Black Friday shopping weekend, and I sort of spent a lot of time in Harris Scarfe :thumb and bought some cute xmas tree ornaments that look like santa, with a reindeer nose that lights up.
I am dazzled by the xmas stuff everywhere, and how gorgeous it all is. Well I did buy some socks for the boys, 40% off, they are anti-bacterial bamboo, since they both wear work boots.

Anyway, saw that Ted's Camera store had moved, but such a big place that shopping centre, I will look next time for them, after all, hubby gave me short time to spend there, he just doesn't understand, I could spend all day looking in shops. :roll

So now I am chilling out, thinking of watching a movie on DVD. Make a cuppa first. Sort my little bits of shopping out, also bought free range eggs, and a bag of cute little red capsicums.
Then I have to cook dinner in a while.

I'm sure ya'll found my shopping very interesting :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 25 Nov 2018, 15:42

So...'Belguim' wins.....they each pocket $M1.12. I say "Belgium"......but they have Yank accents!!!

WTF???????? :grn

Aus ties with Mexico for second. So they will each bank around $M 0.5.

Team USA well down the list.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2018, 15:49

I went to Stirling Market.

Some some brilliant copper+aluminium artwork, could see that either on the front wall of my Tassie house or the mud room of same. It just looks Art Nouveau-ish and clearly represents a river or sea.

$1100, no argument the artwork is worth it, but I need to get to Tassie next April, pay for some earthmoving to be done then plant 16 fruit trees (plus prune and spray) and I have nowhere to store it.

I had hoped to find the guy I bought a nice granite slab (with 4 plastic feet) to make pastry on, see if I could buy a straight granite slab to use as pizza stone + for bread baking. Wasn’t there, dammit!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 25 Nov 2018, 23:47

I'm eating potato chips, drinking a French Red, and reading, and this.

Very UNexciting
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 26 Nov 2018, 05:49

Waiting for the rain to stop which had been 5 days this morning and still drizzling, with only brief breaks. Have to install a couple of long range tanks in my cruiser, a new spare wheel carrier, finish painting the bus and putting more solar panels on it. Been working on my guitar playing as my hand gets more flexible and it still sounds like crap.
Dax
Irish wolfhound

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Nov 2018, 12:01

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:I went to my first baby shower this morning. They are traditionally women only affairs, but times are changing and it was for my granddaughter. My mom stole the show. She made a patchwork quilt for my granddaughter. My mom can do anything.

That generation generally could do anything. But men at baby showers.........nah. That's UnAustralian!

Are they even called showers in Australia?

:?

I've never heard of them here.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 26 Nov 2018, 12:45

greggerypeccary wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Yes Greggery, they are called that in Oz :bgrin I know you live waaaay over the other side of Mainland Australia, so it may all catch up with your side soon :buddy
Here is a link for your purusal.
https://www.babycenter.com.au/a554814/throwing-a-baby-shower
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 26 Nov 2018, 13:29

As I said, I'm 51 and it was my first, and only because it is for my granddaughter. We brought a photo album of my wife's Uncle Allen's photos to show my wife's cousin. He is prior Army and a history buff. Uncle Allen died in the Bataan Death March and he never had a family. My MIL is his only remaining sibling and Uncle Allen is still highly respected and celebrated in our family. The guys avoided the silly games that women play and had our own (manly) conversations about fishing, land, guns, sports, home building, etc..... We were there for the food. I was very thankful the women didn't have my son learn diaper changing on a doll or some such silliness. The men would have revolted.

My son and DIL made out pretty well and they will have another baby shower from DIL's family back in Kansas next week. First babies are a life changing thing and they need all the help and advice they can get.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Nov 2018, 13:31

Lols wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Yes Greggery, they are called that in Oz :bgrin I know you live waaaay over the other side of Mainland Australia, so it may all catch up with your side soon :buddy
Here is a link for your purusal.
https://www.babycenter.com.au/a554814/throwing-a-baby-shower

Oh well, there you go - I didn't know that.

Then again, I usually avoid people who are having babies, so that probably explains a lot.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Nov 2018, 14:49

Just finished a couple hours of writing up the plan for planting and maintaining my fruit trees: some of this will have to be done by local people in Tasmania. Just turned on ABC News and the new Member for Wentworth making her maiden speech. Grabbing a beer. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 26 Nov 2018, 15:26

HBS Guy wrote:Just finished a couple hours of writing up the plan for planting and maintaining my fruit trees: some of this will have to be done by local people in Tasmania. Just turned on ABC News and the new Member for Wentworth making her maiden speech. Grabbing a beer. . .

Stick to the beer and change the channel. That has to be the most boring pile of batshit level self praise I have ever seen. This one is up there with Donald on narcissism. I swear that if I had been in the House as a Member, I would have moved that the 'speaker no longer be heard.'

Far cough Phelps. I don't care. How you vote on the Floor will inform me, not your crap rhetoric.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Nov 2018, 16:19

I was not aware she converted to Judaism, it is not a proselytising religion.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Nov 2018, 16:03

Well, couple of hours ago I was having a basal cell carcinoma cut out of my forehead, cauterised (a few stings from that cutting through the local anesthetic) stitched (could feel the pulling) and bandaged.

Before that, about 2.00am, insomnia struck. Tried in vain to return to peaceful slumber but slumber did not want a bar of me. So grabbed the laptop, switched on the light—and kicked some climate deniers from pillar to post on Twitter.

Usual assortment of dickheads thinking that cold in Chicago means globull kewling. Local is not global and the bow in the Jet Stream that is funneling Arctic air south is also pulling warm air into the Arctic which is unusually warm and the freeze is happening with record slowness: volume is fourth lowest for November and was for September and October too.

Then later some idiots came in with 100mm of rain in Sydney today is a sign of the Ice Age. I explained junior high school science: before water can fall as rain it must be evaporated and it evaporates more from warm oceans than cold ones. These idiots so desperate to avoid AGW they cling to any fantasy of cooling/ice age and so fall victim to scammers “explaining” what is happening (using no science I know of!) So I improved the day for some of these idiots. Fun!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 28 Nov 2018, 16:36

On the way home.
Busy and not entirely successful day.
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Next

Return to Sand Pit