funny

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: funny

Postby Aussie » 01 Dec 2018, 14:50

Trunk Monkey is the winner to date!

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Lols » 01 Dec 2018, 20:17

Edited:replaced the [url] tags with [YouTube] tags and removed the ‘s’ from “https://…”
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby SethBullock » 02 Dec 2018, 05:05

Lols wrote:

Edited:replaced the [url] tags with [YouTube] tags and removed the ‘s’ from “https://…”

Ha! Couldn't understand much of the talk through the accent, :roll but I got the idea.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2018, 09:32

“It’s the float people!” :rofl :rofl :rofl

Historically correct: the Dutch were the first Europeans to land on Australia—Tasmania is named after Abel Tasman who circumnavigated it. Encounter Bay—French and British ships met there.

Mid you, the Grand Fleet of the Chinese probably landed before the Europeans but that was just junks.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 11:02

SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:

Ha! Couldn't understand much of the talk through the accent, :roll but I got the idea.

For you Seth :bgrin

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 02 Dec 2018, 11:12

:rofl :rofl

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Oi Oi Oi
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 11:15

This is interesting! Another American explaining Australia.
(To be perfectly honest, there were some things I didn't know that I learnt myself from this clip!)

Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 11:24

Hey Oz folk, which Aussie accent do you relate to, mine is a bit like Eric Bana.
Funny story....whilst we were travelling around Canada, we would stop at various shopping outlets for lunch, or general shopping and toilet break.
One young guy was serving me, and how we got on the topic of accents or where we are from, he said, Australian accents sound either British or Irish to them. Thought I was from England! :giggle
Another elder couple I met at a stop over whilst looking at the stuffed animals at some museum like café, thought I was from Ireland!

I think we talk a lot faster than the Canadians and Americans. My son's mate, when he raced superbikes over in Alabama USA, said their way of talking was very slowed down, and he would have to slow down for them to understand!

Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2018, 11:40

Hah! Abel Janszoon Tasman.

“Janszoon” translates more or less to “John’s son” (like Johnson etc.)[*]
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 11:41

Here's another two interesting thing I found out about other countries learning "English".

1. When I went to Italy, to find long lost rellies, I would be talking to a young friend of my 2nd cousin, and one asked me in Italian, how do I pronounce "Water" in Australian. As he was learning English at school.

I said "watah"

He looked at me puzzled.

I asked how he pronounced it.

He answered "War-terr"

It occurred to me, they are learning Amercian English with an American accent!!

2. I used to help out with placement of Japanese students in homes, as two of us (as English teachers) would teach the Japanese students English in a real Australian class room. We also took them on excursions such as Sovereign Hill in Ballarat etc.

We had Aya stay with us, and it was wonderful for my teen children then, as they learnt from each other the different cultures.

The Japanese students I learnt, have an American accent with their english they learn back in Japan, they also have seating, like the American schools do, such as one behind the other, in a line.

Here, in Oz, we allowed them to sit around in groups, and casually where they liked, and with whomever they liked.
It was so different for them, they loved it of course, as they would chat away, and be very layback, to the point they would be a bit naughty, so I had a crystal bell I would tinkle so they would pay attention when it was time.
They did fall in love with our culture and saw a different more relaxed lifestyle, some cried when it was time to leave, and most said they vowed to come back. I heard, when some do come back, and stay a year, they can never revert back to going home to Japan's lifes' ways again.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 11:49

Now there are two points that really got to me when we were in the US of A....

1. Money all the same colour.
2. GST not included in the prices...added after the advertised price...so damned confusing when I had the 'exact' money ready :grn

Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 11:53

I am half way between general and bogan..... with a slight lean toward bogan.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 02 Dec 2018, 12:08

Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

For you Seth :bgrin

That was awesome! Thank you, Lols! :hlo
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 02 Dec 2018, 12:27

Lols wrote:This is interesting! Another American explaining Australia.
(To be perfectly honest, there were some things I didn't know that I learnt myself from this clip!)

Enjoyed that very much, Lols! :hlo
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 02 Dec 2018, 12:40

Lols wrote:Here's another two interesting thing I found out about other countries learning "English".

1. When I went to Italy, to find long lost rellies, I would be talking to a young friend of my 2nd cousin, and one asked me in Italian, how do I pronounce "Water" in Australian. As he was learning English at school.

I said "watah"

He looked at me puzzled.

He answered "War-terr"

In America, it's "wah - terr".

:hlo
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 02 Dec 2018, 13:01

Lols wrote:It occurred to me, they are learning Amercian English with an American accent!!

It took my wife a couple of years after moving here from Romania before she could confidently differentiate between the UK, Aussie and Kiwi accents. She used to think we all sounded the same. :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 13:10

Does anyone have any trouble distinguishing between a Yank and Canadian accent?
Aussie

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 13:12

Aussie wrote:Does anyone have any trouble distinguishing between a Yank and Canadian accent?

It was slightly different, yet similar, but the way they both spoke, was slowly, we Aussies talk fast!

We have a Canadian GMC/Chev parts dealer we do business with, and I thought he was American, from his accent, he said he's Canadian.
Last edited by Lols on 02 Dec 2018, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 13:19

SethBullock wrote:
Lols wrote:Here's another two interesting thing I found out about other countries learning "English".

I said "watah"

He looked at me puzzled.

He answered "War-terr"

In America, it's "wah - terr".

:hlo

Well does that depend from which state of the USA you are from?
"war - terr" and "wah-terr"

I think I meant the way we aussies say it is "War tah" (as in Ta, thank you") by with a very short 'tah' whereas Americans elongate the last "terr".

Tell you a story, when in California, and my mum's 1st elderly cousins, took us out to a diner, and we were ordering steaks and whatever.

I said I would like a steak with gravy.

Bryce asks me, with a chuckle, say that again.

I said "steak with gravy"

He laughed, and said we say 'gravy' funny.

I asked, "how do you say it?"

He answered "gray vi!" as in vi really shortened.

Whereas I pronounce it "grav-veee".

I asked the waitor how he says gravy, and said it with the shortened end to it.

I laughed and said to Bryce, how funny, you all elongate all your words except for the one word we aussies elongate.

One only learns these things when "walking the walk and talking the talk with locals" :bgrin :bgrin

PS...I logged back in, just realizing, saying the word 'water' in a sentence, we don't mention the "t"...it's silent. We tend to slurr the word.
Last edited by Lols on 02 Dec 2018, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 13:21

Lols wrote:
Aussie wrote:Does anyone have any trouble distinguishing between a Yank and Canadian accent?

It was slightly different, yet similar, but the way they both spoke, was slowly, we Aussies talk fast!

Canadians have a dead give away to an Aussie ear. When they say 'boat' or 'about' (and similar) it sounds like 'boot' and 'aboot.'
Aussie

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 13:28

Aussie wrote:
Lols wrote:

Canadians have a dead give away to an Aussie ear. When they say 'boat' or 'about' (and similar) it sounds like 'boot' and 'aboot.'

As I have a hearing problem, a lot of sounds don't come through, so basically, both Canadians and Americans sound very similar to me, and they speak more slowly, clearly and precise, and I catch on to what they are saying easier, whereas in Oz, because everyone mumbles or speaks fast, I always have to ask them to repeat what they said. So that was my experience with Canada and USA, same with Alaska, now an American "final frontier" land.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 02 Dec 2018, 14:56

Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 15:00

Texan wrote:Image

Hehehehe. Even I got it!

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 02 Dec 2018, 17:19

Texan wrote:Image

Ha! Good one. Here's one for you.

meanwhile_in_oregon_by_shaefox-d507zm7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2018, 17:21

Ahahahaha!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit