funny

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: funny

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 17:43

HBS Guy wrote:Ahahahaha!

Wadda you laughing at? Farqed if I get that Oregon one. "Why did the fish cross the road?"

:WTF
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2018, 18:12

You have obviously not read “Trout Fishing in America!”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 18:42

HBS Guy wrote:You have obviously not read “Trout Fishing in America!”

Who has?

:h
Aussie

Postby mothra » 02 Dec 2018, 18:45

Aussie wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:You have obviously not read “Trout Fishing in America!”

Who has?

:h

Great book. Richard Brautigan. A friend and i were in a poky little op shop in a small town once and found it and In Watermenon Sugar going for 50c each.

Best. Find. Ever.
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2018, 20:19

Yeah, an op shop find, waaayyyyy back.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Dec 2018, 20:21

why would anyone buy a book titled 'trout fishing in America', unless they were planning on going trout fishing in America? Even if it was only .50c. I doubt it would have made it into my trolley.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 20:37

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, an op shop find, waaayyyyy back.

Soooo.....the joke is????????

:WTF :huh :WTF
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2018, 20:46

Read the book and find out!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Dec 2018, 20:51

HBS Guy wrote:Read the book and find out!

:grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 02 Dec 2018, 20:54

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Read the book and find out!

:grn

What he ^ said.

:smack
Aussie

Postby mothra » 02 Dec 2018, 21:49

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, an op shop find, waaayyyyy back.

I've found some amazing books in oppies. I love it when i've got the time to browse through them.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 02 Dec 2018, 21:52

johnsmith wrote:why would anyone buy a book titled 'trout fishing in America', unless they were planning on going trout fishing in America? Even if it was only .50c. I doubt it would have made it into my trolley.

It's actually a very famous book, a counterculture classic ... and i was familiar with the author, Richard Brautigan, having read a fair bit of his poetry.

Seriously, grab it off eBay. It's a great read and you'll knock it off over a weekend.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2018, 21:55

A LOT of crud but sometimes a real diamond amongst the dross and usuall $1.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 02 Dec 2018, 22:00

HBS Guy wrote:A LOT of crud but sometimes a real diamond amongst the dross and usuall $1.

It's amazing what you can find. Years back, i found a copy of the Malleus Maleficarum, tbe medieval handbook, for witch hunting in a Salvos.

That was a very good day.
mothra
Duck

Postby Lols » 02 Dec 2018, 22:53

mothra wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:A LOT of crud but sometimes a real diamond amongst the dross and usuall $1.

It's amazing what you can find. Years back, i found a copy of the Malleus Maleficarum, tbe medieval handbook, for witch hunting in a Salvos.

Wow that book was almost as famous as the bible!
So disheartening about all that witch hunting and extermination of anyone that posses the ability to be physic.
This took away a lot of ability for people to survive by having that "hunch" about life's situations. It's how our instincts for survival from our ancestors have made us come this far.

I think that those that did escape any extermination within their family, have been able to keep that talent from generation to the next.
But sadly, that physic ability is being lost to lack of trust in oneself, or listening to that inner feeling.....too much tv, distractions, homework, and face in the smart phone!
Like music, or dancing, one has to practice and keep on keeping on for it to survive.

I once went to the medium, Kerri Kulkens, and she said, in the mid 1400's, I was buried alive or walled off for witchcraft, because I grew medicinal herbs that healed....now I wonder if that is the reason I can't even grow parsley in this life!

I have never been a big believer of 'past lives'. I believe, this is the life, and savour it, there will never be another you.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 03 Dec 2018, 01:51

oppie ???
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby mothra » 03 Dec 2018, 04:56

Lols wrote:
mothra wrote:

Wow that book was almost as famous as the bible!
So disheartening about all that witch hunting and extermination of anyone that posses the ability to be physic.
This took away a lot of ability for people to survive by having that "hunch" about life's situations. It's how our instincts for survival from our ancestors have made us come this far.

I think that those that did escape any extermination within their family, have been able to keep that talent from generation to the next.
But sadly, that physic ability is being lost to lack of trust in oneself, or listening to that inner feeling.....too much tv, distractions, homework, and face in the smart phone!
Like music, or dancing, one has to practice and keep on keeping on for it to survive.

I once went to the medium, Kerri Kulkens, and she said, in the mid 1400's, I was buried alive or walled off for witchcraft, because I grew medicinal herbs that healed....now I wonder if that is the reason I can't even grow parsley in this life!

I have never been a big believer of 'past lives'. I believe, this is the life, and savour it, there will never be another you.

Herbalists, midwives, wise women, counsellors, hell even women who gave the wrong man lustful thoughts. Dangerous times.

I often wonder at the wealth of knowledge that was wiped out through the burning times, Certainly Culpepper's Herbal borrows heavily from folk knowledge so much of it did survive. Think that was written in the 1600s?

I bought my daughter a t-shirt that says "We are the granddaughters of the witches you couldn't burn". She loves it.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 03 Dec 2018, 05:00

SethBullock wrote:oppie ???

An op-shop. A second hand shop run usually by charities. I think you call them thrift shops?

The thing about Australians, Seth, is that we take the first syllable of a thing and whack an 'ie' or an 'o' on the end and call it a word or a name. It makes us indecipherable to the rest of the planet but nonetheless, we tend to be pretty pleased with ourselves about it.
mothra
Duck

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Dec 2018, 05:45

while have a tinnie at the barbie with Johno on a Sunday arvo...…..
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 03 Dec 2018, 05:46

mothra wrote:

An op-shop. A second hand shop run usually by charities. I think you call them thrift shops?

The thing about Australians, Seth, is that we take the first syllable of a thing and whack an 'ie' or an 'o' on the end and call it a word or a name. It makes us indecipherable to the rest of the planet but nonetheless, we tend to be pretty pleased with ourselves about it.

Lol ...

Yes, thrift shops - charities

For profit - pawn shops or second hand stores

There's a clothing store called New To You where you can give your used clothes, but you get a credit when they sell that you can use in the store.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2018, 08:47

Nice concept but second hand clothes. . .nah
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 03 Dec 2018, 09:23

mothra wrote:

Ken-oath!

Here's something for our OS forum friends, a nice short vid that explains some of our linguistics ... ooroo for now :thumb

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 03 Dec 2018, 09:46

HBS Guy wrote:Nice concept but second hand clothes. . .nah

Maybe you need to see the clothing to see what we mean, some things are like new, just stored only, for instance, in a oppie in Toorak, a $600 jacket for $60, probably only worn 2 hours if that.

Then you can wash it (I usually hand wash for extra care), or dry clean if it needs to be dry cleaned (but I never bother with dry cleaning articles....too much chemical).

I buy some amazing things like the Genie Bottles which they wouldn't have a clue about it's value on Ebay.
But I have found, a lot of the oppies are now getting in valuers and I have noticed a mark up with certain items.

Also, shops closing down and liquidating or whatever, (I know, it's sad to see that when someone is having a go at a shop business)....well, these things go to the op shop for resale at 1/10th the price.
All new with tags.

Oppies are surprising, like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to find.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2018, 09:57

I would love to find 6+ Diana Nefertiti round dinner plates.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 03 Dec 2018, 10:29

MOTHRA - AVERT YOUR EYES......G'WARN.....DON'T PEEK!

Aussie

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit