Aus deadly snake v deadly spider

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Aus deadly snake v deadly spider

Postby Aussie » 27 Oct 2018, 15:54

Spider wins. Snake is caught in the web.......bit of a fight.....spider kills snake. Redbacks are nasty buggers and not the very worst here.

:bgrin

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: Aus deadly snake v deadly spider

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 16:42

Redback is related to the black widow spider. Another relation lives in NZ (may be wrong, from a Zoo lecture in the late ’60s.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 28 Oct 2018, 12:50

Holy shit! (Crikey!)

I don't like spiders, but my wife HATES spiders. She says that when she dies she's going to have a question for God.

"What were you THINKING???"
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Oct 2018, 16:29

Your wife wants more insects, flies, mozzies, moths in the woolen clothing, earwigs everywhere?

In the Carboniferous spiders were the size of a man’s head!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 28 Oct 2018, 16:35

HBS Guy wrote:Your wife wants more insects, flies, mozzies, moths in the woolen clothing, earwigs everywhere?

In the Carboniferous spiders were the size of a man’s head!

Lol ... I've told her they are a part of the ecological balance, but she'll have none of it.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 28 Oct 2018, 17:51

SethBullock wrote:Holy shit! (Crikey!)

I don't like spiders, but my wife HATES spiders. She says that when she dies she's going to have a question for God.

"What were you THINKING???"

my wife claims it's only cockroaches that get to her, she's lying though ... anything that crawls and she runs like her butt is on fire.
Tis the season the Christmas beetles make an appearance over here, and she's run inside every evening this week trying to get away from them.

The kids and I sit back and laugh .............. it's more entertaining than watching TV. :c :c
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 29 Oct 2018, 00:56

Those Beetles make nasty hissing noises and their feet get caught in your hair.

But they are harmless.

I saw a Redback trap a skink in its web, and hoist it in. The skink outweighed the spider, but it didn't matter. It was however one of the largest Redbacks I've seen. Actually, probably the largest.

And Jeez I was sitting on a toilet seat when I saw this fight to the death. :purple ... gargantua in miniature.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 29 Oct 2018, 04:04

pinkeye wrote:Those Beetles make nasty hissing noises and their feet get caught in your hair.

But they are harmless.

I saw a Redback trap a skink in its web, and hoist it in. The skink outweighed the spider, but it didn't matter. It was however one of the largest Redbacks I've seen. Actually, probably the largest.

And Jeez I was sitting on a toilet seat when I saw this fight to the death. :purple ... gargantua in miniature.

Where was this toilet? Not in your house I hope. :scare
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby pinkeye » 30 Oct 2018, 00:59

Nope.

It was in a backyard dunny. Not a standalone tho, it was tacked on to a shed, and had a part concrete, where the loo was, and part dirt floor... where the critters lived below storage shelves. Wish I'd had a camera. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Agness » 12 Nov 2018, 16:23

pinkeye wrote:Nope.

It was in a backyard dunny. Not a standalone tho, it was tacked on to a shed, and had a part concrete, where the loo was, and part dirt floor... where the critters lived below storage shelves. Wish I'd had a camera. :bgrin

I think its ony the female redbacks that are poisonous- I hate spiders -yep-
Agness
puppy

Postby Bonkers » 12 Nov 2018, 18:34

I fear no creature but day-yam I'm cautious around brown snakes, they're more Bonkers than me.
Bonkers

Postby Agness » 12 Nov 2018, 20:21

Bonkers wrote:I fear no creature but day-yam I'm cautious around brown snakes, they're more Bonkers than me.

Hi Bonkers and welcome we have very many brown snakes out my way - its very hot out here- I mean a lot of them- we have never yet crossed paths in a meaningful way ( i didnt get bit yet) but I dont tempt them- not like my cat does when she escapes sometimes- cats and snakes love each other lol
Agness
puppy

Postby pinkeye » 13 Nov 2018, 02:17

Where I live in SEQ, we have the greatest number of snake species in the world. No joke. Approximately 34 different species of snake, many venomous.

If you head south Tasmania has 3 I think. Victoria about 10 . North of here the numbers decrease, surprisingly. You'd think the further north (the tropics) the more snakes. Not so. For snakes.. SEQ is heaven.

In rural areas here, wildlife experts say there will be a snake within 20 metres of you, wherever you are. That increases to about 100 metres in the higher density urban areas. Like the cities or inner suburbs.

Just a fact of life.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Agness » 13 Nov 2018, 09:49

very sobering Pink- do you lay claim to the taipan up your way- the most deadly snake in the world it has been said- because that would be enough to have me moving interstate :OMG
Agness
puppy

Postby johnsmith » 13 Nov 2018, 10:08

pinkeye wrote: That increases to about 100 metres in the higher density urban areas. Like the cities or inner suburbs.

I was managing a residential complex on the gold coast ... located in suburbia about 25 minute walk to the beach at surfers, and in almost 8 yrs, had 2 snake encounters

Luckily both times the snakes were relatively harmless, one was a whip snake and the other a diamond python.

I'm sure there were more around the grounds but luckily for me, they're pretty shy and typically hide before you can see them.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 13 Nov 2018, 23:25

Well yes we get a species of Taipan in this area.
Like browns they can be aggressive, apparently. I've not spotted one, but that's not to say they aren't there.
I 've seen Whip Snakes, Red-Belly Blacks, tree snakes, :roll and large carpet python that does the rounds and umm a couple of what I think were Eastern Browns, or possibly a Tiger Snake. Browns are hard to identify.. unless of course you've upset them, and then they can be aggressive.

Snakes are definitely more dangerous in this part of the world, than spiders. Those bad boy spiders live around Sydney. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 13 Nov 2018, 23:31

Yeah the Coast is definitely full of snakes. :bgrin :bgrin

But seriously.. :bgrin

Not that long ago a brown, I think it was, got spotted around Main Beach beach. Remember that.? They are out there, and that is fine with me.

They have a place in our world, and a bit like sharks, crocodiles and spiders, they have a place in this world.

It is not for us to anything but respect them.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Nov 2018, 08:15

pinkeye wrote:It is not for us to anything but respect them.

I'd rather shoot them from a distance :gup
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Agness » 14 Nov 2018, 10:57

when my kids were little I saw a beautuful little diamond head snake- never seen one before- it was just casually winding its way up my driveway - it was the prettiest little creature you ever laid eyes on and yet my instinct was to drive it off- as it would have been in my yard a few days and I had kids to consider- but I instantly fell in love with that little snake with its bright sparkly eyes- and I have seen the odd spider I consider a bit cute as well-
Agness
puppy

Return to Sand Pit