Cochlear implants.

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: Cochlear implants.

Postby Aussie » 19 Nov 2018, 19:30

My Son is a weird bloke.....did not fall far from the tree. We went down over the last weekend and caught up to get get the latest.

It is a fascinating thing to 'hear' from him.

I don't know how to explain this, so I'll just repeat what he said.

He now reckons he lives in a very noisy street. Birds are very noisy things. The noise the car indicators make drive him batty....never heard that before. He has never heard anything when he rubs his hands together...now he does. Same thing when you click fingers. Etc etc. Long list of....never heard that before.

But....here's the kicker. He hears none of that as we hear it. Presently, that stuff is coming to him digitally, and he has to (stuffed if I know how) convert that, if he can, to what normal hearing people hear.

So.....to make some sense of that. Cochlear is on his right ear. Left ear is still turbo charged with an aid so he can hear, barely, a bird sound etc. So......right side competes with left side and eventually, he is very confident, his brain will interpret that digital sound to something very close to what 'we' hear. He says it will never be exactly what 'we' hear, but much much better than before.

So, back to the opening remarks. My Elder Bro rings me yesterday afternoon and I tell him that we are visiting my Son. 'Ask him for me how it is all progressing.'

Me to Son.....'Brigadier wants to know how it is progressing.'

Son to me to relay to him......"I have never heard my balls rubbing together before."

The rest....you can imagine.

:WTF
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 19 Nov 2018, 20:37

Aussie wrote:"I have never heard my balls rubbing together before."

his wife has a headache too?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 19 Nov 2018, 21:01

johnsmith wrote:

No....I think he had one, last night. One thing I can best him on......is beer. He went happily asleep about 9.00 pm, and nothing would have woken him up.....yet this morning, there he was.....bright eyed and bushy tailed and off to work at 7.30 am.

:pope
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 19 Nov 2018, 21:03

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

No....I think he had one, last night. One thing I can best him on......is beer. He went happily asleep about 9.00 pm, and nothing would have woken him up.....yet this morning, there he was.....bright eyed and bushy tailed and off to work at 7.30 am.

:pope

she must have overheard his comment about his balls rubbing together and decided to do something about it :c :c
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 19 Nov 2018, 21:10

Nah.....he was stuffed. He fought well, but, given we started at lunch and DIL was driving.....home we get.....and on......and on.....and he flakes while I am just getting warm. Yet.....still I lose. TIB gone to bed. Just me and the Labradoodle to lock up and turn the lights out. They don't make 'em like they did with us Baby Boomers.

:thumb
Aussie

Postby Lols » 22 Nov 2018, 18:12

Aussie wrote:My Son is a weird bloke.....did not fall far from the tree. We went down over the last weekend and caught up to get get the latest.

It is a fascinating thing to 'hear' from him.

I don't know how to explain this, so I'll just repeat what he said.

He now reckons he lives in a very noisy street. Birds are very noisy things. The noise the car indicators make drive him batty....never heard that before. He has never heard anything when he rubs his hands together...now he does. Same thing when you click fingers. Etc etc. Long list of....never heard that before.

But....here's the kicker. He hears none of that as we hear it. Presently, that stuff is coming to him digitally, and he has to (stuffed if I know how) convert that, if he can, to what normal hearing people hear.

So.....to make some sense of that. Cochlear is on his right ear. Left ear is still turbo charged with an aid so he can hear, barely, a bird sound etc. So......right side competes with left side and eventually, he is very confident, his brain will interpret that digital sound to something very close to what 'we' hear. He says it will never be exactly what 'we' hear, but much much better than before.

So, back to the opening remarks. My Elder Bro rings me yesterday afternoon and I tell him that we are visiting my Son. 'Ask him for me how it is all progressing.'

Me to Son.....'Brigadier wants to know how it is progressing.'

Son to me to relay to him......"I have never heard my balls rubbing together before."

:WTF

This is fascinating to see how your son is going with 'hearing' sounds.
I have a deafness problem, but not severe, I can still hear, but not good, all words seem mashed together and not clear, it's amazing how some people can talk so clearly and I hear them well, and the rest are just terrible at speaking clearly. More like quick mumbling.
I have to ask people to face me so I can hear them better and lip read.
Also, my hearing aids are apain, I hear everything 'digitially' or electronically, and it's annoying.
I never wear them, when anyone asks, Hey Lols, where's ya damned hearing aids...I answer, they are in my handbag, so you can yell in the handbag. :giggle

This is why I like forums, and texting, and old fashioned letter communication, I can read well.
And TV now has teletext, and I don't have to have the TV on loud anymore.
True story: In days gone by, before teletext on TV, I used to keep asking "what did he/she say?" and was always annoying.
So now, I never ask anymore, and in fact, with all the mumbling of actors, and stupid background music, hubby now asks me what he/she said!
Because I read it!
:bgrin

Getting back to the hearing aids, I was told the more I wore them, the better I would get used to them and the different sounds would eventually be understood.

Maybe one day I will wear them more than 2 hours at a time...trouble is.....the batteries run down so quick!!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 22 Nov 2018, 18:25

I was terrified at the prospect of how much that Cochlear thing cost him. As it turned out......5/8ths of stuff all as his private Bupa Ins covered it all, and it would have been a massive expense.

Check that Cochlear thing out Lols...if you have private insurance.
Aussie

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Nov 2018, 18:33

hey Aussie u ever read "think and get rich" napoleon hill, he mentions his son… is it the same thing ?
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 22 Nov 2018, 19:16

DonDeeHippy wrote:hey Aussie u ever read "think and get rich" napoleon hill, he mentions his son… is it the same thing ?

Nah....have not read it.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Nov 2018, 20:40

Bupa must charge a fortune for premiums because I have been told even with private insurance it is an expensive business.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 22 Nov 2018, 20:52

HBS Guy wrote:Bupa must charge a fortune for premiums because I have been told even with private insurance it is an expensive business.

it all depends on your perspective.

For a poor bastard like me, $100 is expensive
For a rich bastard like Aussie, $1000 is cheap

:B :B
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 22 Nov 2018, 21:43

HBS Guy wrote:Bupa must charge a fortune for premiums because I have been told even with private insurance it is an expensive business.

It is not cheap.....but.....obviously proven to be a great investment for Donnie Darko. His Family is also covered which is good.
Aussie

Previous

Return to Sand Pit