Cochlear implants.

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Cochlear implants.

Postby Aussie » 23 Oct 2018, 20:41

For those in Qld.....ABC at 8.30pm. Catalyst. Very relevant to me. My Son, known to some as Donnie Darko is profoundly deaf...and at 9.00 am tomorrow, his implant gets turned on.

Fingers crossed.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: Cochlear implants.

Postby mothra » 23 Oct 2018, 20:51

Best of luck!
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 20:53

Good luck to DD.

I need to arrange a hearing aid test, which won’t help, severe but not profound loss of hearing in my left air since earlier this year. Won’t help, but do the test, gets a box ticked leading to a CI sometime down the track. Probably in Tassie. When Demi leaves for that big kennel in the sky I might get a Hearing Dog from Lions. I sleep on my right side so won’t hear doorbell or fire alarm or phone when I am in bed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 23 Oct 2018, 20:56

Aussie wrote:For those in Qld.....ABC at 8.30pm. Catalyst. Very relevant to me. My Son, known to some as Donnie Darko is profoundly deaf...and at 9.00 am tomorrow, his implant gets turned on.

Fingers crossed.

Wow, I’d be so nervous I’m not sure I could be there. Good luck. A friend has an implant which restored his ability to understand conversations (if there is only one person speaking at a time) and dance to music. He lost 95% his hearing in Vietnam when hand granades went off on top of a bamboo roof he was standing just under. Thrown by Yanks as a ‘joke’. Didn’t do much for his face either.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby Aussie » 23 Oct 2018, 21:04

I'm not nervous. He has been deaf for some many many years so while if it does not work, disappointing, he will cope because deaf is the 'used to' default. But, I am very excited as I am sure he is. The prick told me that when they turn it on, he is gonna pretend to go into a seizure. I have no idea where he gets that shit from. Do you Mothra?

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 23 Oct 2018, 21:14

Good luck tomorrow.

Although once he hears Aussies whiney voice he may rip them out again.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 23 Oct 2018, 21:17

Mine is very deep and melodic. Your Mrs told me last night that yours is girlie.

Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 23 Oct 2018, 21:36

Aussie wrote:Mine is very deep and melodic. Your Mrs told me last night that yours is girlie.

she was lying to get you to give her a discount
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 23 Oct 2018, 21:39

She won. She said she usually does.
Aussie

Postby Texan » 24 Oct 2018, 04:01

Aussie wrote:For those in Qld.....ABC at 8.30pm. Catalyst. Very relevant to me. My Son, known to some as Donnie Darko is profoundly deaf...and at 9.00 am tomorrow, his implant gets turned on.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck on tomorrow. It can change his life. Don't expect perfect hearing. I understand that the sound is digitally gargled, but way better than nothing. With them in both ears, the digital distortion is much less. (Most of this insight is from Rush Limbaugh.)

HBS GUY - My dad is completely deaf in one ear. He has blue tooth hearing aids in both ears. The hearing aid in his deaf ear transmits received sound to the other ear to enable him to hear on his deaf side as well. He links his hearing aids to his phone to talk and to his TV to listen, even when the volume is completely down on the TV. Food for thought.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible. - Sam Houston
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2018, 04:51

Call me Monk.

Yes, a customer at my home brew shop, Jovial Monk, had blue tooth hearing aids and blue tooth on hiss cellphone, could talk to people on the phone and the sound got sent to his hearing aids.

A hearing aid transmitting to the good ear, hmmmmm, I will talk about that to the hearing aid people! Thanks for that!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 24 Oct 2018, 09:52

Texan wrote:

Fingers crossed.

Good luck on tomorrow. It can change his life. Don't expect perfect hearing. I understand that the sound is digitally gargled, but way better than nothing. With them in both ears, the digital distortion is much less. (Most of this insight is from Rush Limbaugh.)

HBS GUY - My dad is completely deaf in one ear. He has blue tooth hearing aids in both ears. The hearing aid in his deaf ear transmits received sound to the other ear to enable him to hear on his deaf side as well. He links his hearing aids to his phone to talk and to his TV to listen, even when the volume is completely down on the TV. Food for thought.

Right ear today, left in 12 months time. Still waiting for word from Brisbane.
Aussie

Postby Aussie » 24 Oct 2018, 11:31

And the news is......"All done - much better than the chick on Catalyst - all squeaks and bubble sounds though."

:bgrin :beer :bgrin
Aussie

Postby Aussie » 24 Oct 2018, 11:58

For our overseas Members.....Catalyst is an Aussie science TV programme.
Aussie

Postby Texan » 24 Oct 2018, 12:02

Aussie wrote:And the news is......"All done - much better than the chick on Catalyst - all squeaks and bubble sounds though."

That’s not bad news. According to Rush Limbaugh, one ear sounds like garbage. Adding the second ear makes it recognizable but never as good as real hearing. Hope it works out. They may be able to tune it in some, but Limbaugh had the advantage of already knowing what hearing should be like.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 24 Oct 2018, 12:05

He's confident. Left ear gets done next year.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2018, 13:02

Aussie wrote:And the news is......"All done - much better than the chick on Catalyst - all squeaks and bubble sounds though."

Sounds good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 24 Oct 2018, 16:09

Great news! Congratulations to Donnie ... tell him from me that's one of my favourite movies of all time.

Maybe he can hear this (from it, famously) now:

mothra
Duck

Postby Aussie » 24 Oct 2018, 18:33

Says he can hear some music, and "Chipmunks on helium and speed, and heaps of gazoo whistles."

:beer
Aussie

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 12:01

My dad's blue tooth hearing aids use an app on his phone. He has an equalizer to fine tune to his tastes. The hearing aids even have GPS locators built in in case they are lost. He uses his phone to locate them to within about 6 feet. He charges them when he sleeps.

I'm not looking forward to this. I already have some hearing loss from working on jets. So far, I just can't hear anything above 9 khz and have trouble understanding people with deep voices and accents.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 15:03

My right ear is fine bar loss of the higher frequencies due to age. dunno

Hearing aids stop wax leaving your ear: take them out before going to sleep, maybe a drop oil oil to soften the wax.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 15:12

2 or 3 times per year, I clean the wax out of my ears with hydrogen peroxide. You need some wax, so don’t do it too often.
Texan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 16:04

Holy fuck! Peroxide?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 30 Oct 2018, 16:28

HBS Guy wrote:Holy fuck! Peroxide?

Reckon he does it with those wool bud things dabbed in peroxide.
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 30 Oct 2018, 18:12

HBS Guy wrote:Holy fuck! Peroxide?

That explains why his politics leans to the right.

He's bleached his left side :clap :clap
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Next

Return to Sand Pit