Sandwiches

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Sandwiches

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jun 2018, 12:01

Not really a Food topic.

I remember in 1957 our ship bringing us from Holland, former troopship ss Waterman (means same in English as in Dutch) docked in Fremantle and we left the ship for a while. Went into a cafe and Mum asked for sandwiches and milk for me and my sis (aged 10 & 6 respectively.) When the sandwiches were served Mum said “Oh yes, they do closed sandwiches here!” and the bloke behind the counter got this look on his face :bgrin

When I went back to Holland in 1978 my rellies gave me a sandwich: open sandwich plus a knife and fork. They knew about closed sandwiches here too and wanted to see how I did. No probs. Hmmmm I do miss the lovely rolls you can get there, fluffy and light, delicious with salami or ham. Or the crusty roll I ate in the Hotel du Norde in Paris, man that was unreal! In Italy, Austria there was lovely bread but I don’t remember rolls.

My rellies also gave me a salted herring. As a kid I would eat one in a minute. Took me two or three hours to eat that one, talk about rich!

Does anyone here ever do open sandwiches to be eaten by knife and fork?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Sandwiches

Postby Squire » 26 Jun 2018, 13:48

Be careful what you wish for. If open sandwiches were sold in Australia they would charge you at least double the price of a standard sandwich.

It would require a licensed professional sandwich engineer to lift the top piece of bread off a traditional sandwich and carefully and environmentally dispose of it.

Total fee, $200 plus traveling time.
Squire
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Return to Sand Pit