Page 1 of 11

The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 00:06
by mothra
Season 2 premiere tonight on SBS.

So fucking good.

Anyone watch it?

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 08:02
by johnsmith
no

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 11:46
by HBS Guy
I tried watching series 1, just to see how the downloading etc would go but it didn’t download. You have to turn off adblock.

Dunno if I will watch much, more interested in posting and reading stuff, telly is just a bit of noise in the background.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 11:54
by greggerypeccary
I didn't know it was a series now.

Great book, and a pretty good movie.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 13:45
by mothra
greggerypeccary wrote:I didn't know it was a series now.

Great book, and a pretty good movie.


The first series is pretty faithful to the book, with some outstanding and relevant nods to our time in it.

It's very much making the point that there are those in the US who are driving towards this kind of society.

The second series (which started last night) picks up after the book. So i'm pretty excited to see where we go.

Critics are giving it two thumbs up.

First series trailer:


Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 14:09
by Aussie
No. Did not see.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 14:15
by mothra
Aussie wrote:No. Did not see.



I would, without hesitation, call it one of the best and most important shows i've ever seen.

Seriously, check it out (turn off adblock). Season 1 here:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/the-handmaids-tale

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 17:11
by HBS Guy
I will watch it tonight.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 19:40
by mothra
HBS Guy wrote:I will watch it tonight.


Brilliant! Love to talk with you about the parallels to alt-right ideology currently in the US.

It's a scathing attack. Women have been dressing as handmaids in protest over there to Trump's various abominations.

This is important television.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 19:53
by HBS Guy
See how it goes.

I do remember people raving about the Tale on another board (a blog, really.)

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 21:38
by Aussie
mothra wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:I will watch it tonight.


Brilliant! Love to talk with you about the parallels to alt-right ideology currently in the US.

It's a scathing attack. Women have been dressing as handmaids in protest over there to Trump's various abominations.

This is important television.


Ya know....it shits me. There they are in the US going ballistic about a conviction of Cosby. I absolutely hate the claim by wankers that it is a victory for 'women' in some overall, overarching, genetic thing. Fuck off.

That conviction is of ONE man, concerning his acts on one/some (not sure)......NOT a victory of any other kind. I could not care less that it is Cosby, but these women are making COSBY the big deal. NO! He is not representative of me, or Men. Fuck off.

If Trump goes down on a similar count....I will not care (other than comment/confirm that the USA elected a grub as a President).....but....you watch.....wankers will again go ballistic about some gender warfare victory.

I am not at War with women. Anyone? Are woman at War with men. Anyone?

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 22:03
by johnsmith
Aussie wrote:Are woman at War with men. Anyone?


every day

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 22:32
by Aussie
johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:Are woman at War with men. Anyone?


every day


In your Household......understandable. You are an Italian Aussie.....she is not Italian and you expect peace?

:bgrin

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 22:44
by mothra
Aussie wrote:
I am not at War with women. Anyone? Are woman at War with men. Anyone?



Interesting. You apply individual accountability to the men involved but all women are at war with you.

All women.

Anyone else see what went on here?

I'll let it slide as generational Aussie.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:06
by Aussie
mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:
I am not at War with women. Anyone? Are woman at War with men. Anyone?



Interesting. You apply individual accountability to the men involved but all women are at war with you.

All women.

Anyone else see what went on here?

I'll let it slide as generational Aussie.


No....20 year old me would say the same. You must have seen the women on TV claiming that the Cosby is a 'win' for women, yes? It is not a win for women at all. It is a conviction of one man. One man. Not 'men.'

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:26
by mothra
Aussie wrote:
mothra wrote:
Aussie wrote:
I am not at War with women. Anyone? Are woman at War with men. Anyone?



Interesting. You apply individual accountability to the men involved but all women are at war with you.

All women.

Anyone else see what went on here?

I'll let it slide as generational Aussie.


No....20 year old me would say the same. You must have seen the women on TV claiming that the Cosby is a 'win' for women, yes? It is not a win for women at all. It is a conviction of one man. One man. Not 'men.'


Aussie wrote:
No....20 year old me would say the same. You must have seen the women on TV claiming that the Cosby is a 'win' for women, yes? It is not a win for women at all. It is a conviction of one man. One man. Not 'men.'


Some women, not all.

Follow?

You seem to be as determined to make it a gender war as those you unfairly accuse.

Your motives are just shiftier.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:27
by johnsmith
Aussie wrote:In your Household......understandable. You are an Italian Aussie.....she is not Italian and you expect peace?


If you think Italians are bad, wait until you meet a romanian :grn

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:33
by mothra
johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:In your Household......understandable. You are an Italian Aussie.....she is not Italian and you expect peace?


If you think Italians are bad, wait until you meet a romanian :grn


We Oirish are a dab hand with potato peelers.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:34
by HBS Guy
What a Dutchman can do with a rollmop. . .

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 00:16
by HBS Guy
:WTF

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 00:25
by johnsmith
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:In your Household......understandable. You are an Italian Aussie.....she is not Italian and you expect peace?


If you think Italians are bad, wait until you meet a romanian :grn


We Oirish are a dab hand with potato peelers.


Good thing I like mashed spuds :c

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 00:30
by HBS Guy
Weird bloody series this!

I see themes, I guess, repression of women by the church acting through the state, just look at the hick states in the US.

Hard to follow, I might see if I can borrow the book from the library.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 11:10
by mothra
HBS Guy wrote:
I see themes, I guess, repression of women by the church acting through the state, just look at the hick states in the US.




There's more than that. They killed all the academics, for a start. Keep watching.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 11:42
by HBS Guy
Hitler’s book burning revisited?

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 11:44
by HBS Guy
Didn’t watch a lot. Somehow I started with Ep2 Series 1, hence I guess confusion. Lot of cutting present to future back to present—confusing as fuck.

Mass hanging (that wasn’t) was a gruesome scene—domestic violence systematised?