The Handmaid's Tale

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Jun 2018, 09:55

HBS Guy wrote:Has Greg caught up? Season 1 won’t be available much longer.

I finished season 1 last week.

Haven't started on season 2 yet.

I finished watching Deadwood last night, so I might get back to THT on the weekend.

No spoilers!!
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jun 2018, 10:25

We are discussing the season 2 eps via PM so as not to spoil your viewing.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Jun 2018, 11:07

HBS Guy wrote:We are discussing the season 2 eps via PM so as not to spoil your viewing.

Thank you :hlo
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jun 2018, 11:59

Fucking catch up, alright! :bgrin
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 29 Jun 2018, 13:37

greggerypeccary wrote:I finished watching Deadwood last night, so I might get back to THT on the weekend.

No spoilers!!

I tried and failed with Deadwood. I found once you took away the shock value of the swearing, there was bugger-all left.

Now Godless, that was a western.
mothra
Duck

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Jun 2018, 14:05

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I finished watching Deadwood last night, so I might get back to THT on the weekend.

No spoilers!!

I tried and failed with Deadwood. I found once you took away the shock value of the swearing, there was bugger-all left.

Now Godless, that was a western.

I was going to give up on Deadwood, but I saw it through to the very end.

Glad I did - the characters developed nicely (and the swearing was cut back a bit).

I love how one of the main character's name (who says nothing but 'cocksucker' and 'cunt') is Swearengen (swear engine) :bgrin

Only problem is, they never made season 4.

So, everything was left hanging at the end :sad

And yeah, Godless was very good!
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 29 Jun 2018, 14:23

greggerypeccary wrote:

Maybe i'll give it another shot. Made it to episode 8 or something and chucked it in. It's because i'm such a fan of Brad Dourif i hung in that long.

You've not led me astray thus far though ... although i'm unconvinced.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jun 2018, 14:29

Wonder if Season 2 will be released as a book. It is of a very high standard and I would buy the book.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Jun 2018, 14:40

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Maybe i'll give it another shot. Made it to episode 8 or something and chucked it in. It's because i'm such a fan of Brad Dourif i hung in that long.

You've not led me astray thus far though ... although i'm unconvinced.

It definitely got better as it progressed, in my opinion.

More humour, and a little less swearing.

Calamity Jane got a lot more interesting, as did a few other characters.

I certainly enjoyed the 3rd series.

There's been talk of a movie for years.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/aug/14/deadwood-is-the-best-drama-hbo-has-ever-made-it-must-be-revived
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 29 Jun 2018, 14:44

greggerypeccary wrote:

Oh well, that interests me. I tried really hard to get into her because it compensated slightly from watching every other woman in the show being horribly abused and dehumanised constantly but they just didn't give me enough to get my teeth into.

Glad to hear it improves.
mothra
Duck

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Jun 2018, 14:50

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Oh well, that interests me. I tried really hard to get into her because it compensated slightly from watching every other woman in the show being horribly abused and dehumanised constantly but they just didn't give me enough to get my teeth into.

Glad to hear it improves.

Yeah, the women aren't treated too well, that's for sure.

I loved the Jane character, though - she was pretty funny.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 01 Jul 2018, 04:06

greggerypeccary wrote:Yeah, the women aren't treated too well, that's for sure.

Watched episodes 7 and 8 tonight to give it another go. End of episode 8, it came crashing back to me why i gave up in disgust. Trixie took the nugget to that wank stain?

It's like Thomas Covenant all over again. How many times i threw that first book in the series against the wall in rage until i got past it and discovered my second most loved book series.

Give me hope Greg. I'm scared because you said everything ended unresolved but i seriously want Trixie to be okay and to do things to Swearengine that make him cry.
mothra
Duck

Postby greggerypeccary » 01 Jul 2018, 14:03

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:Yeah, the women aren't treated too well, that's for sure.

Watched episodes 7 and 8 tonight to give it another go. End of episode 8, it came crashing back to me why i gave up in disgust. Trixie took the nugget to that wank stain?

It's like Thomas Covenant all over again. How many times i threw that first book in the series against the wall in rage until i got past it and discovered my second most loved book series.

Give me hope Greg. I'm scared because you said everything ended unresolved but i seriously want Trixie to be okay and to do things to Swearengine that make him cry.

You want spoilers? :gsp

Not sure I should do that.

Hey, she went on to marry Ray Donovan! :bgrin

Saw Mudbound last night - excellent movie, on Netflix.

WWII PTSD and racism (and lots of mud).
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jul 2018, 08:21

From the RobertScribbler blog, comments:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-01/gun-toting-unification-church-goers-celebrate-weapons/9496876
Hundreds of couples toting AR-15 rifles packed a Unification church in Pennsylvania on Wednesday (local time) to have their marriages blessed and their weapons celebrated as “rods of iron” that could have saved lives in a recent Florida school shooting.

There are other articles about Extremist Xtian soldiers in the military forming their own Paramilitary religious cult offshoot of the Bretherens

And now also members of the LBGT community who have been experiencing an increased murder and assault rate, afraid to step out in public. Now buying weapons and taking military style self defence courses organised and conducted by ex military members of the community.

The Relentless divisiveness, assault and attack is unfortunately out of fear and percieved need for self defence resulting in a equyal and opposite reaction to the assaults from the rabid right and Trumpista’s and Trumps hate filled inflamatory speeches

Liked by 2 people

robertscribbler / June 29, 2018
I’m very conflicted and I say this with a heavy heart.

I honestly have sympathy for liberals who arm themselves for self defense. We should not be subject to fear of violence against us without means to protect those we love and all that we hold dear. If just rule of law is removed, then all that is left is the rule of the jungle. And if we are continuously demonized, if violence is continuously promoted against us, then violence in such a state will come.

We should always promote our values of peace and non violence. And we should always fight with the tools of law and democracy. Never escalating or inciting or using violence unless violence comes to us. But we should not be like the Jews of Germany and led like lambs to slaughter. In such a state organizing for self defense is our only survival option.

To be clear, we are not living in such a state now. But that possibility is no longer so remote. An administration that will kidnap children for political gain will not be constrained by the morality of non-violence and civility that we hold so dear. And the time to prepare is not when the wolf is already at the door.

https://robertscribbler.com/2018/06/29/amidst-supreme-court-nightmare-we-should-recognize-that-the-road-toward-climate-justice-will-be-long-and-arduous/#comments

Parallels.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jul 2018, 00:03

Reading the copy of “The Handmaid’s Tale” I bought last week. I see a lot of things in Season 2 actually came from the book, even if changed a bit here and there. So I like Season 2 better now, in a way.

Up to Jezebels. Fucking idiotic or what? Those Commanders, mostly sterile, supposedly sooo religious, wanting a brothel—typical religious hypocrisy. If you are religious you can’t do anything wrong, supposedly.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 03 Jul 2018, 15:13

Atwood is still consultant so she's got her hand in.

And yes, the more you suppress inclinations, the more sinisterly you see them creep out.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jul 2018, 19:51

Penultimate ep tomorrow!

tomorrow is also bin night!

Coincidence? NO!

Rubbish needs to be gotten rid off or rats and disease rule!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2018, 18:50

Is ep 12 up yet?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 05 Jul 2018, 20:50

Okay Monk. I made it to the 43 minute mark and now i need a little break, a moderate freak out and and a shot of Jameson's.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2018, 20:59

I will watch it soon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2018, 21:07

Lovely “family” photo. Pfffff.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2018, 21:13

Geez, how fucking cruel!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 05 Jul 2018, 21:17

Spoilers Monk!
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2018, 23:02

Wow, harrowing!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 06 Jul 2018, 09:49

I still haven't started the second series of THT yet.

Started watching Marcella on Netflix, and can't stop now!
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit