The Handmaid's Tale

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

A big welcome to all the guests sitting here reading to go back and ponder! Why not post?

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Postby Dax » 28 Apr 2018, 14:06

Watched a bit of the show, it does reflect what has happened in the past, but to gory for me to see any sense in it.
Dax
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 14:25

I would like to read the book, I think.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 14:35

Dax wrote:Watched a bit of the show, it does reflect what has happened in the past, but to gory for me to see any sense in it.

You misunderstand. It's futuristic. And by so little it's almost current.

It's set in a world like today, America, in which the religious right take over. The earth is so polluted that women rarely concieve so the poor are shipped off to the "colonies" to die in a year or two cleaning up toxic waste while the women that are fertile are given to ubfertile rich couples to be raped and bred by them.

The academics are among the first to go. After same sex rights and women's rights to access their bank accounts.

It chronicles the death by a thousand cuts that is the end-game of fascism ... in this instance, Margaret Atwood, having written the book some decades ago, was astoundingly prophetic. If you are paying attention to what's happening in the US.
Last edited by mothra on 28 Apr 2018, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 14:37

HBS Guy wrote:I would like to read the book, I think.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Orwellian genius.

I strongly recommend Margaret Atwood as an author, full stop. She is excellent.

Check out Oryx and Crake in particular.
Last edited by mothra on 28 Apr 2018, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 14:37

Double post. Have this:

mothra
Duck

Postby Dax » 28 Apr 2018, 17:31

mothra wrote:
Dax wrote:Watched a bit of the show, it does reflect what has happened in the past, but to gory for me to see any sense in it.

It's set in a world like today, America, in which the religious right take over. The earth is so polluted that women rarely concieve so the poor are shipped off to the "colonies" to die in a year or two cleaning up toxic waste while the women that are fertile are given to ubfertile rich couples to be raped and bred by them.

The academics are among the first to go. After same sex rights and women's rights to access their bank accounts.

It chronicles the death by a thousand cuts that is the end-game of fascism ... in this instance, Margaret Atwood, having written the book some decades ago, was astoundingly prophetic. If you are paying attention to what's happening in the US.

Don't think I misunderstood, have done a bit of cultural anthropology and as i said, it's a refection of past practises, placed in the future. Ideological humans repeat their cultural approaches over and over, all that changes is the circumstances, time lines, technology and coverage. Is this possible in the future, of course in some way, but not as is presented. Naturally cloned ideological urban humans, could easily suffer this form of fate, because they never get out of the way of disaster. They are so deep in denial of reality, they refuse to accept events can or will effect them. If it is not some god they believe will protect them, it's their deranged ego which tells them the calamity will pass them by.

So if something like that was to happen it will be in cities, but the possibilities of that in the coming scenario may be slim. It will be so devastating the elites and urban dwellers will disappear very quickly, as they have no possibility of providing anything for themselves and will end up fighting each other for scraps out of the sewers and who should won teh last bit of plastic. Plus there will be no power, grid generators are way past their use by date, nothing is being done to replace them and those that already have solar, are locked to the grid with no storage capacity.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 18:03

Dax wrote:
mothra wrote:

Don't think I misunderstood, have done a bit of cultural anthropology and as i said, it's a refection of past practises, placed in the future. Ideological humans repeat their cultural approaches over and over, all that changes is the circumstances, time lines, technology and coverage. Is this possible in the future, of course in some way, but not as is presented.

If you didn't understand, you've just contradicted the point you are attempting to apply and defeated the logic with which you came to it.

It is clearly set in modern times. It is an exaggeration of what many people in the US are actually calling for, had you been paying attention, and the face of that society in a biologically hostile world.

I suspect however, you just don't want to be thought of as having misunderstood something. Perhaps i should have phrased it more delicately. You seem sensitive.

Dax wrote:Naturally cloned ideological urban humans, could easily suffer this form of fate, because they never get out of the way of disaster. They are so deep in denial of reality, they refuse to accept events can or will effect them. If it is not some god they believe will protect them, it's their deranged ego which tells them the calamity will pass them by.

More contradiction.

Dax wrote:So if something like that was to happen it will be in cities, but the possibilities of that in the coming scenario may be slim. It will be so devastating the elites and urban dwellers will disappear very quickly, as they have no possibility of providing anything for themselves and will end up fighting each other for scraps out of the sewers and who should won teh last bit of plastic. Plus there will be no power, grid generators are way past their use by date, nothing is being done to replace them and those that already have solar, are locked to the grid with no storage capacity.

Yeet more contradictions. You seem to be arguing with yourself there Dax. Couldn't happen? Might happen? What if it happens?

All interesting journeys through your thought processes.

Be great if you'd actually watched the show enough to stop yourself from needing to argue with yourself ... then i might have someone to talk to about it.

I'd like that.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 18:17

Assume 5% of city dwellers survived—Jews survived the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto after all.

Nuclear can take more of the load, too tho not here, of course.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 18:18

Nobody noticed the highlighting I did of the Handsmaid’s Tale. {sob, work my fingers to the bone and do they appreciate it?}
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 18:28

HBS Guy wrote:Nobody noticed the highlighting I did of the Handsmaid’s Tale. {sob, work my fingers to the bone and do they appreciate it?}

What did i miss? Highlighting?
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 18:33

ahahaha Look on the Sand Pit part of the Index Page.

I walked to Park Holme Library—no Handmaid’s Tale. So then me and dog walked to the “Cultural Centre” in Marion Shopping Centre. No fucking Handmaid’s Tale.

Will have to put a copy on hold.

Didn’t much like the series tho—too much chopping and changing.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 18:37

HBS Guy wrote:ahahaha Look on the Sand Pit part of the Index Page.

I walked to Park Holme Library—no Handmaid’s Tale. So then me and dog walked to the “Cultural Centre” in Marion Shopping Centre. No fucking Handmaid’s Tale.

Will have to put a copy on hold.

Didn’t much like the series tho—too much chopping and changing.

Ha! Awesome! Thanks Monk ... :bgrin

Just buy it on ebay. There's heaps there.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 19:00

Libraries are cheaper.

I have a thread, in Politics or OT, “Churches controlling womens’ bodies through the state” which sort of covers the premise of the Tale. Or part thereof.

Churches no longer have influence over people. So they work through right wing politicians. We have seen the rollback of abortion facilities in southern states.

I know that in the 18th century a wife’s property became the husband’s when she married.

Seems some old Jewish/Muslim nice customs like stoning have been adopted by the religious right? They would do it in a heartbeat if laws against murder could not be enforced—central government breakdown. The cherished “small government” of libertarians, just lets prejudice govern.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 19:07

HBS Guy wrote:Libraries are cheaper.

I have a thread, in Politics or OT, “Churches controlling womens’ bodies through the state” which sort of covers the premise of the Tale. Or part thereof.

Churches no longer have influence over people. So they work through right wing politicians. We have seen the rollback of abortion facilities in southern states.

I know that in the 18th century a wife’s property became the husband’s when she married.

Seems some old Jewish/Muslim nice customs like stoning have been adopted by the religious right? They would do it in a heartbeat if laws against murder could not be enforced—central government breakdown. The cherished “small government” of libertarians, just lets prejudice govern.

Indeed. But men's activism is playing into it too. The angry white men.

There are serious calls to have a woman procure the father's consent before getting an abortion. Like, seriously. Coming from some sensible men too. And all the loonies.

Some have even suggested a woman have no access to contraception without her husband's consent.

It's all there. All happening.

All the end-game of fascism.
mothra
Duck

Postby Dax » 28 Apr 2018, 19:09

mothra wrote:
Dax wrote:
mothra wrote:

Don't think I misunderstood, have done a bit of cultural anthropology and as i said, it's a refection of past practises, placed in the future. Ideological humans repeat their cultural approaches over and over, all that changes is the circumstances, time lines, technology and coverage. Is this possible in the future, of course in some way, but not as is presented.

If you didn't understand, you've just contradicted the point you are attempting to apply and defeated the logic with which you came to it.

It is clearly set in modern times. It is an exaggeration of what many people in the US are actually calling for, had you been paying attention, and the face of that society in a biologically hostile world.

I suspect however, you just don't want to be thought of as having misunderstood something. Perhaps i should have phrased it more delicately. You seem sensitive.

Dax wrote:Naturally cloned ideological urban humans, could easily suffer this form of fate, because they never get out of the way of disaster. They are so deep in denial of reality, they refuse to accept events can or will effect them. If it is not some god they believe will protect them, it's their deranged ego which tells them the calamity will pass them by.

More contradiction.

Dax wrote:So if something like that was to happen it will be in cities, but the possibilities of that in the coming scenario may be slim. It will be so devastating the elites and urban dwellers will disappear very quickly, as they have no possibility of providing anything for themselves and will end up fighting each other for scraps out of the sewers and who should won teh last bit of plastic. Plus there will be no power, grid generators are way past their use by date, nothing is being done to replace them and those that already have solar, are locked to the grid with no storage capacity.

Yeet more contradictions. You seem to be arguing with yourself there Dax. Couldn't happen? Might happen? What if it happens?

All interesting journeys through your thought processes.

Be great if you'd actually watched the show enough to stop yourself from needing to argue with yourself ... then i might have someone to talk to about it.

I'd like that.

Sorry, but we are looking at it from different points of reference and ity's not contradictory at all, although I accept it can be seen that way if you don't look at things from a lateral aspect. That's my problem, I'm supposedly a lateral thinking realist according to those who are supposed to know. Even though i see things others do, to me they are in the background and the lateral reality is on the foreground. Which is why those unable to see past their controlling delusions, tend to think I'm claiming I'm right and others are wrong. Bu that's not the case, the first time I'm right, will be the biggest awakening in my life, so far I see myself as always being wrong. To see it any other way is to miss the reality for me.

So my interpretation of the hand maidens tale, is from a lateral aspect, which includes what yo may see as contradictory and it would be if the events had already occurred. They have not and the only reference is held within the past, which is how i saw the relationship. Mot arguing with myself, just seeing what could be from the scenarios the show put forward. The show itself, is not my cup if tea in viewing, in fact I rarely look at modern movies as they seem to be pathetic in every way and I tend to pick the technical side apart and that is probably because of my long association within the entertainment industry.

I don't find it a very discussable subject, simply because the number of parameters need to bring it to fruition, is beyond any of our abilities and of course within the USA, it's already going on in varying degrees. They are such a deluded society so deep in denial of their own reality, they cant see anything but themselves. So many of the events depicted in the hand maiden, are already being applies within the USA and you only have to read the unofficial news to find that out.

Then we have the fact religion is on the way out, it's ability to con the people is over, reality is overwhelming it and as with all ideologies, it will do all in its power to reverse its demise. This is no different to the past and with the hand maidens tale, it's a reality within a deep delusion already in many places. Don't think most realise how much slave trade goes on and how they get away with it, because the ruling class is so concentrated on themselves, they never see what is real.

The show jumps around so much and if I had have seen the first series, it may look different bu have not been able to find the first series to view, which is where it would have been good to start an analysis.

Mink, can't see any highlighting on this thread.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 19:12

mothra wrote:

There are serious calls to have a woman procure the father's consent before getting an abortion. Like, seriously. Coming from some sensible men too. And all the loonies.

Some have even suggested a woman have no access to contraception without her husband's consent.

Yeah, and when a divorced man drives his car into a lake and drowns himself and his kids some “mens rightists” will say it is because of the divorce and child maintenance etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 19:16

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, and when a divorced man drives his car into a lake and drowns himself and his kids some “mens rightists” will say it is because of the divorce and child maintenance etc.

To be fair, women do that too. It's just one side claims mental health for one party and martyrdom for the other ... and the other side switches the hats but says the same thing.

Same as they do with Muslim terrorists versus lone wolf whack-a-doodles.

Crap logic. Crap argument. Crap outcomes.
mothra
Duck

Postby Dax » 28 Apr 2018, 19:32

mothra wrote:

You know what will really wipe us out, internal attrition, everyone turning against each other, brother against brother, sister against sister and the growing claims its all mens fault will in the end destroy urban society from within. Blame someone else, but do nothing to change yourself, is the most common ideologues life application. The "me to" movement, is destroying any trust between the sexes and all those complaining, still expect men to be there when women need them.

In the next couple of years at the current rate of collapse, most women will find themselves with no help from men and from the talk that is going on in pubs, it's getting very close. Young men now are refusing to have anything to do withe women and thats why lots of women can't find a bloke, the blokes are worried if they even look at a women, they will be accused of something, so they are avoiding them like the plague. Older blokes are sick to death of the demands of women and yet they have nothing of worth to contribute to a relationship, except looking in the mirror and spending money on rubbish.

So I live alone, simple because I've yet to find a women who will be mt equal in life and walk with me in a sojourn of the soul. Most are obese, smelly unfit dumb as shit about current affairs and incapable and unwilling to learn to look after the things they own and use daily. Plus except for the drummer in our band, who is a European chef, have yet to find a women who can cook as well and as varied as I do.

Now after all that, you can class me as waffling on, but it all relates to the hand maiden, if you can see it from a lateral aspect. The scenario in the hand maiden, could easily come about from the situation I've described currently running through world societies. But doubt few can see it, or the correlation, which is sad.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 19:37

Dax wrote: The "me to" movement, is destroying any trust between the sexes and all those complaining, still expect men to be there when women need them.

So, it's not men sexually harrassing women that's the [roblem ... it's women talking back about it. Gotcha.

Dax wrote:In the next couple of years at the current rate of collapse, most women will find themselves with no help from men and from the talk that is going on in pubs, it's getting very close. Young men now are refusing to have anything to do withe women and thats why lots of women can't find a bloke, the blokes are worried if they even look at a women, they will be accused of something, so they are avoiding them like the plague. Older blokes are sick to death of the demands of women and yet they have nothing of worth to contribute to a relationship, except looking in the mirror and spending money on rubbish.

So I live alone, simple because I've yet to find a women who will be mt equal in life and walk with me in a sojourn of the soul. Most are obese, smelly unfit dumb as shit about current affairs and incapable and unwilling to learn to look after the things they own and use daily. Plus except for the drummer in our band, who is a European chef, have yet to find a women who can cook as well and as varied as I do.

Now after all that, you can class me as waffling on, but it all relates to the hand maiden, if you can see it from a lateral aspect. The scenario in the hand maiden, could easily come about from the situation I've described currently running through world societies. But doubt few can see it, or the correlation, which is sad.

You're a sad loss to the dating pool, Dax. Women all over with be tearing their hair out.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 28 Apr 2018, 19:40

Dax wrote:Most are obese, smelly unfit dumb as shit about current affairs and incapable and unwilling to learn to look after the things they own and use daily.

ever ask them what they think of a silly old prick like you?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 19:42

Dax wrote:
Sorry, but we are looking at it from different points of reference and ity's not contradictory at all, although I accept it can be seen that way if you don't look at things from a lateral aspect. That's my problem, I'm supposedly a lateral thinking realist according to those who are supposed to know. Even though i see things others do, to me they are in the background and the lateral reality is on the foreground. Which is why those unable to see past their controlling delusions, tend to think I'm claiming I'm right and others are wrong. Bu that's not the case, the first time I'm right, will be the biggest awakening in my life, so far I see myself as always being wrong. To see it any other way is to miss the reality for me.

So my interpretation of the hand maidens tale, is from a lateral aspect, which includes what yo may see as contradictory and it would be if the events had already occurred. They have not and the only reference is held within the past, which is how i saw the relationship. Mot arguing with myself, just seeing what could be from the scenarios the show put forward. The show itself, is not my cup if tea in viewing, in fact I rarely look at modern movies as they seem to be pathetic in every way and I tend to pick the technical side apart and that is probably because of my long association within the entertainment industry.

I don't find it a very discussable subject, simply because the number of parameters need to bring it to fruition, is beyond any of our abilities and of course within the USA, it's already going on in varying degrees. They are such a deluded society so deep in denial of their own reality, they cant see anything but themselves. So many of the events depicted in the hand maiden, are already being applies within the USA and you only have to read the unofficial news to find that out.

Then we have the fact religion is on the way out, it's ability to con the people is over, reality is overwhelming it and as with all ideologies, it will do all in its power to reverse its demise. This is no different to the past and with the hand maidens tale, it's a reality within a deep delusion already in many places. Don't think most realise how much slave trade goes on and how they get away with it, because the ruling class is so concentrated on themselves, they never see what is real.

The show jumps around so much and if I had have seen the first series, it may look different bu have not been able to find the first series to view, which is where it would have been good to start an analysis.

Mink, can't see any highlighting on this thread.

:roll
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 20:02

Are you people trying to jump in on the second season? Don't! You'll be horribly lost.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Apr 2018, 20:36

I followed your link to the first series, somehow landed on Ep 2.

I think I will get hold of the book before watching more, too choppy changy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 28 Apr 2018, 20:54

mothra wrote:
Dax wrote: The "me to" movement, is destroying any trust between the sexes and all those complaining, still expect men to be there when women need them.

So, it's not men sexually harrassing women that's the [roblem ... it's women talking back about it. Gotcha.

Dax wrote:In the next couple of years at the current rate of collapse, most women will find themselves with no help from men and from the talk that is going on in pubs, it's getting very close. Young men now are refusing to have anything to do withe women and thats why lots of women can't find a bloke, the blokes are worried if they even look at a women, they will be accused of something, so they are avoiding them like the plague. Older blokes are sick to death of the demands of women and yet they have nothing of worth to contribute to a relationship, except looking in the mirror and spending money on rubbish.

You're a sad loss to the dating pool, Dax. Women all over with be tearing their hair out.

First of all, I don't discriminate between men and women, or aged and young, we all have different knowledge always worth listening to and different capacities and abilities. So there is no such thing as equality, all we can hope for is equality of opportunity. I love the fact men and women are different, it would be boring if we all looked and acted the same.

It is not women talking back and it is not men sexually harassing women, it's one of the delusionary factors rising from the ideological confusion growing in world societies. Men and women have always sexually harassed each other and men and women have always talked back, without that form of loving confrontations as long sad it's not violent and respectful, there would be no challenge or learning in the courting process. Take that away and we have todays litigious, deranged society.

Now if they get raped or beaten up, they have proper case, but just a touch or even a look today can get a bloke in jail. Just look at how the majority of men see children not of their own, keep well away, don't go near them, look their way and always have someone eels with you, if you do communicate with a kid.

The dreams promised in all ways, haven't been achieved, the illusionary walls of society against the reality of nature and evolution are breaking down rapidly. Humanity is confused, deeply in denial, so they are beginning to lash out at any they can find to push their own responsibilities in life onto others, For a growing number of women, it's men and not their problem, when it is their problem as they are alive with a future ahead. Why cling to the distant past and neglect the future requirements, which is a way to avoid facing the reality of their own lives.

It's the same for men, but gender different they are beginning to blame women for demanding equality, whilst still maintaining their victim, need to be protected and we can do no wrong attitudes. I live alone because there seems no women willing to live life at my pace and lifestyle, will play music with me, travel and when we are home, have her own interests and friends. As well as learn to look after the things she uses in her life. I feel the same way about most men, they are all obese, unhealthy and unfit. We only live once and the future seems to be getting shorter and shorter for life to be lived enjoyably and safely. So we should be getting into it, not working our guts out and or waiting to die. In ways I; n different to everyone else, just seem to be able to see it from a different aspect that;s all. When the first nuke drops on Aus, I will probably be under it.

I'm no lose to the dating scene, to hard to live with and when I finally retire, probably impossible unless they like travelling and playing music. Which means have zero chance of coming across a lady willing to do that round my age.

Believe Monk and I are starting with the second series, can't seem to the find the first series, but thinking of it now, it may well be on youtube so will check that out i and if so have a look and report back. If the sewer rat hasn't banned me.

Ok there are a few different handmaids tale on youtube and one is a recap of series one, so will check that out tomorrow when I get home. This is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfKBmaVJcHE
Dax
Feral cat

Postby mothra » 28 Apr 2018, 21:23

HBS Guy wrote:I followed your link to the first series, somehow landed on Ep 2.

I think I will get hold of the book before watching more, too choppy changy.

Weird. I thought i linked to the first episode of season 1?

Lemme try again:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/978522691950/the-handmaids-tale-offred
mothra
Duck

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit