D I Y... F Y I ?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

D I Y... F Y I ?

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2018, 22:18

I have a question to ask of all you folk... umm it's pretty simple really, but I couldn't find an existing 'Help" topic.
I don't use Google..etc.

And I thought.. why not have an open topic where practical questions can be asked. ? No reason, so here is
the first question...

I have a problem that has bugged me for at least 5 yrs now.

Background... a large gum , close to the house fell down years ago and all the debris has been carted away. However, large mass of roots remained. Very hard old red gum. So have burned it out and succeeded to some degree. If you stamp hard on the ground, you can tell there are hollows. It is in an area I use all the time for to-and fro-ing.

The dog LOVES digging there.... years and years of old bones, seemingly collected by rats, and stored in the old hollow tree it was.... means every time I fill it in with soil, it gets dug out again.

NOW my main idea, for a while now, has been to purchase a large boulder and have it dropped into the hole.

BUT... I have had what I consider, a brain-wave alternative....I think its great, and free. :bgrin

AND THIS IS MY QUESTION?

I intend to use red wine bottles, shaped like champagne bottles, with the hollow in the base, filled with water , to fill the space. I can use them to interlock and when nearly filled, backfill with fine sand from around the joint, topped with old bricks then soil, finally topped with more thick grass turf, and repeat till level. The dog will give up after not getting anywhere, hopefully, and if she decides to attack it from the side, I can repeat the process.

I have all the necessary constituents on hand. I'm thinking fill up the bottle as far as it held wine. :bgrin
Is this a good idea.?

Comments?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: D I Y... F Y I ?

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Apr 2018, 22:41

Why fill with water?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 Apr 2018, 23:25

let me get this straight ... you're going to fill a hollow with bottles then cover with turf ....is that correct?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2018, 23:55

that is the general idea. Its a HOLE, about Im deep by two wide, and 1.5 across. These bottles taper,, the hole tapers. get the idea.?

Umm why not water HBS Guy.? I could fill them with sand. ..?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2018, 23:56

essentially water is heavy.. the bottles are slippery and smooth, so claws won't be able to dig them out.

Neat eh?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 18 Apr 2018, 23:58

pinkeye wrote:that is the general idea. Its a HOLE, about Im deep by two wide, and 1.5 across. These bottles taper,, the hole tapers. get the idea.?

Umm why not water HBS Guy.? I could fill them with sand. ..?

you'd want to make sure you have a fair bit of dirt between the bottles and the turf ... you wouldn't want any broken glass poking through, especially if you go outside barefoot
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 00:00

Go on, tell me I'm brilliant..
if not why not.?

Umm ..Nah... think about it JS. where would broken glass come from?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 19 Apr 2018, 00:04

pinkeye wrote:so claws won't be able to dig them out.

you know that if you buy your dog a big beef shin bone every few weeks, he's not going to go looking for others. It's not expensive and it keeps the dog entertained for ages ... i used to have 2 doberman and they absolutely loved em ... they'd spend weeks on them. My old bitch used to toss the bone off the rear balcony with her mouth, then run down the stairs to chase it, bring it back up and repeat ..... would keep herself entertained for days like that (although the clunking of the bone on the deck all night can get tiring).

where would broken glass come from?

the bottles you buried
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 00:29

well thanks for your reply,
um sadly it doesn't address the question.

THESE ARE WHOLE HEAVY GREEN BOTTLES. They are not broken bottles. They are air tight. .
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 00:33

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:so claws won't be able to dig them out.

you know that if you buy your dog a big beef shin bone every few weeks, he's not going to go looking for others. It's not expensive and it keeps the dog entertained for ages ... i used to have 2 doberman and they absolutely loved em ... they'd spend weeks on them. My old bitch used to toss the bone off the rear balcony with her mouth, then run down the stairs to chase it, bring it back up and repeat ..... would keep herself entertained for days like that (although the clunking of the bone on the deck all night can get tiring).

where would broken glass come from?

the bottles you buried

:think :think :think

well shucks, I've owned a few dogs.... I'd NEVER have thought of giving them bones. :roll :roll :grn :grn
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 19 Apr 2018, 00:42

Best thing i ever gave my dog was a squeaky baguette. He fucking loved that thing.

When we moved house, he put it on the trailor.

My uncle had a little scotch terrier that dug up all her bones and stored them in her kennel when he started packing to move.

Wonderful animals.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 00:45

yep I love my dog.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 00:46

just wondering about my landfill with wine bottle idea.

Nothing other than look out for broken glass.?? :grn
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 00:49

no seriously... :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

you are pulling my leg, right.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 01:00

I thought this was a good idea for a topic. You know google.wikipedia.. .all wrapped up together... but genuine,, you know,.?

I shall proceed, :thumb

BUT.... I will consult with a local who has lots of skills.

I guess I forgot... you all seem to live in cities, with concrete,, and broken glass every where..!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 19 Apr 2018, 06:14

You could start filling it with compost, grass clippings, newspapers etc then plant a fruit or nut tree there.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 19 Apr 2018, 08:25

pinkeye wrote:well thanks for your reply,
um sadly it doesn't address the question.

THESE ARE WHOLE HEAVY GREEN BOTTLES. They are not broken bottles. They are air tight. .

you do understand that bottles buried underground with you then walking on them are susceptible to breakage, right? :OMG
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Apr 2018, 09:21

Depends on the thickness of the covering of earth etc. Need 50-60cm.

No need to fill with water.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 22:42

Dax wrote:You could start filling it with compost, grass clippings, newspapers etc then plant a fruit or nut tree there.

That would be an option, except it is close to my outdoor fireplace.. a semi-circle of stones on clay. The radiant heat would kill any tree , almost definitely. Plus it is um fairly close to my front door.

HBS Guy wrote:Depends on the thickness of the covering of earth etc. Need 50-60cm.

No need to fill with water.

Well thanks for that.. all.
No need to fill with water.? Yep that's what my friend said. If I wanted to put something in them, sand would be okay. But the lids would fail eventually releasing the water. The shape of the bottles makes them very strong, and it is heavy glass.

And thanks also Monk. I fully intend to have layers of soils, and concrete pavers and old bricks and soil, on top of the bottles.
Because it was such a large tree, i think the roots probably allow drainage downslope, so subsidence will compact it further and I can add more layers on top. No perceivable risk I can see, from broken glass. .

I'm getting started tomorrow. Should all be done by tomorrow evening. :clap
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 19 Apr 2018, 22:53

I'll let you know
how I go
:yak yak

Yeah um so there are surely other practical questions people have. I find as a person who has resided in my home since 1988, that all sorts of issues raise their heads , needing attention.

Home care and repair.. etc.

Experience is a mighty teacher. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2018, 06:42

City walls, back in classical and medieval times were thick and had big stones on the outside yet in the middle they would have empty amphora, pottery jars. Because of the way forces on the wall act there was no need to have the wall solid all the way through, hence I said leave the bottles empty. If they are in the bottom of a hole they can’t go anywhere.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 20 Apr 2018, 22:04

yeah , thanks.. that's what I ended up deciding.
Um I was all go this arvo, and six bottles just looked so 'not enough'.

I checked my wheelie bin, and there were a dozen or more present, NOt ENOUGH... so then the thunder rumbled and the lightning flashed, and the rain started to come down, so I decided I needed to go and get more wine bottles. :bgrin

Yep so, its still raining, and I'm started on emptying those bottles. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2018, 22:17

It is a hard life, isn’t it?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 20 Apr 2018, 22:56

Bloody Oath!!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 21 Apr 2018, 00:17

pinkeye wrote:yeah , thanks.. that's what I ended up deciding.
Um I was all go this arvo, and six bottles just looked so 'not enough'.

I checked my wheelie bin, and there were a dozen or more present, NOt ENOUGH... so then the thunder rumbled and the lightning flashed, and the rain started to come down, so I decided I needed to go and get more wine bottles. :bgrin

Yep so, its still raining, and I'm started on emptying those bottles. :thumb

Enjoy! You're doing important work.
mothra
Duck

Next

Return to Sand Pit