Preferential treatment?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: Preferential treatment?

Postby Dax » 06 Apr 2018, 13:17

johnsmith wrote:
Dax wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Dax wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Dax wrote:You could always get a decent operating system, that doesn't rip off all you data and spam you constantly.

such as??

Any one of the many linux distros and their accompanying flavours, depending what you want to use it for and the state of your computer. Safe, extremely stable, state of the art and free to develop, or change to whatever you want to. If you're into it, you can build your own and or customise a distro to suit what you need in a computer. The software available is light years ahead of microsoft or apple and also free.

I run a number of different distros, all dedicated to certain tasks. One does all my multimedia, two different ones and a number of flavours are used for every day computing and one is used for intrusion investigation and response. Have a couple of very old (20 years) laptops/PC which are running various tasks and using up to date systems, they are limited in some ways, but do their job excellently and have never shut down.

you lost me with all that. When it comes to computers, anything beyond the basics is beyond me. I need something that is 'plug and play'.

You won't get a computer system that is more plug and play then linux, it is light years ahead of windows in ease of use and reliability. The first time my grand kids used linux, they took it up with ease, as did my elderly neighbour and it took 5 minutes to get them up and running with ease.

Actually, the mars rovers and all off planet computing and communications runs linux, as does the biggest media companies and scientific institutions. Linux runs well over 95% of all computing systems on the planet, it runs all the major servers and has close to 90% of all world servers. Just about all the graphics you see on TV, in movies etc are linux created, "Lord of the rings" is one major release which was all done on linux. The programs to do that, are freely available.

Where it lacks, is in gaming they say. However even that is a bit wrong, when you can use steam and other gaming stuff, personally not into gaming in any way and games bore me.

ok ... that sounds better. Not big on gaming apart from the odd game of tetris or solitaire when I'm bored so that side of it doesn't bother me.

Is linex compatible with other operating systems? what i mean is if I were to swap am I going to have trouble opening files, websites, viewing pics or watching vids?

There is no difference in usability, there are some sites run by microsoft which tries to ban non windows access, but that's easily overcome using linux and who wants to go to a data steeling intrusive site run by a profit growth industry.

Check out this site for more info on linux distros, it will give you an idea of what is available and how well they function. https://distrowatch.com/

This distro, "Mint", is probably the best to start off with as it is easy to switch over from windows. https://linuxmint.com/

I'd start with the "Mate" release, which will run on just about any computer. You can download it, put it on a usb or cd/dvd and then check it out. You don't have to install it, they are what is called live distros and have the full features you can go through before installing it. All you need to do is burn the Mate ISO to a usb and then run it, you may have to turn of secure boot in the bios, as microsoft put this in to stop people checking out other disto's.

It won't effect your system at all and you can install and dual boot with it, although windows hates that nut it is easy to do and you will quickly see the difference, especially when you check out the available software already installed and the massive amount of software available, including business software.

If you decide to give it a try, happy to help you with any problems and or guide you through it, if needed. Most people I've introduced to linux, don't need any help once they get to running a live disc. As it installs, it gives you a guided tour and then you are free and safe in your computer world.
Dax
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 06 Apr 2018, 13:40

thanks Dax. It looks interesting.

I probably won't do anything just yet. I'm selling my business and as it's all on my PC, I don't want to jeopardise losing it.
Once I've sold and moved on, I'll try it out on another computer.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Aussie » 06 Apr 2018, 14:50

Sounds too complicated for me Dax. I've got Windows 7 Home Premium and seem to manage what I want with that, and Firefox.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby Dax » 06 Apr 2018, 15:24

Aussie wrote:Sounds too complicated for me Dax. I've got Windows 7 Home Premium and seem to manage what I want with that, and Firefox.

Not complicated at all, very simple and easy to use. Your windows 7 is an open book for any hacker or intrusion. Firefox is ok as a browser, but Vivaldi is light years ahead, yet still in development mode.

Linux is much simpler than windows in every way, it's what people are familiar with that they think it is easy and of course, personal preference.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Apr 2018, 15:39

Got a MacBook Air here, like it heaps.

Not too interested in changing ATM, other things more important.

Something I might do in the future, set up a couple generic PCs, install Linux. Once in Tassie, with FTTH would love to try moving this board to one of the Linux boxes.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 06 Apr 2018, 17:03

HBS Guy wrote:Got a MacBook Air here, like it heaps.

Not too interested in changing ATM, other things more important.

Something I might do in the future, set up a couple generic PCs, install Linux. Once in Tassie, with FTTH would love to try moving this board to one of the Linux boxes.

Most of Tas is fixed wireless, they lied about us having FTTH and there are very few who have it, in urban areas it's FTTN and pretty slow. My NBN fixed wireless provides excellent speeds, until it's a holiday weekend and all the shackies come down. Then it slows down a lot until they have gone.

Have been involved in a test between a linux box, win 10 and mac a year or so ago. From switch on, linux was online within 20 seconds, with the other two way behind. Win 10 took ages as it keep trying to download huge updates and the bloke got very frustrated, all he wanted to do was get it running online and not wait for ages.

Linux downloads updates in the background, they are small, quick and yo can choose which ones you want and don't want. You don't even have to download them they can sit there until you decide you want to update, or you can ditch them.

Got into Linux before the turn of the century, but it was so complicated and new, it was useless for me. Had a linux redhat computer sitting beside my xp box and was trying to get it to the stage where could transfer everything over. But the software wasn't there and neither were the graphics, it was a terminal run system and ended up useless.

When Ubuntu came out, tried again and when there was enough software (2006) to run my company, dropped windows and saved a couple of thousand a year in support and breakdowns. In all those years, never had a linux box crash, or lose data and my company system ran 24/7 year in year out for almost a decade. Most of the staff didn't even know what they were using, those that did, switched their computing to linux after a while.

It's funny really, everyone says no to linux, but they don't realise how much linux is in their lives. It runs all your smart appliances, has over 80% of the mobile phone systems. It runs major corporations, cars/trucks/buses.trams.trains, planes. ships, space rockets, military equipment, transport systems, energy systems, TV's, fridges, washing machines and everything else that is smart. Watch a cartoon, a CGG video and you are most likely watching linux in action

The only thing windows and mac run, are pc's and small business. Who are getting ripped off using last century technology and costing them every year, in time and money. This is the 21st century, not the last so we should be using 21st century computing systems which are safe reliable stable and controllable, not junk stuff using last century code and techniques.
Dax
Feral cat

Previous

Return to Sand Pit