Eating Meat

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Eating Meat

Postby greggerypeccary » 24 Mar 2018, 14:00

Why is it that conservative men (mainly) go off their nuts when someone mentions the word 'vegetarianism'?

I'm not talking about people saying to them "You must not eat meat - stop it now!".

I'm talking about just the mere mention of the word.

For example, at a BBQ: "Would you like a piece of steak?".

"No thanks, I don't eat meat".

"WHAT! - you don't eat meat? What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing, I just prefer to not eat meat."

"So what are you saying - you're better than me or something?".

"No. I just don't eat meat".

"I bet you wear leather shoes, though, don't you?".

And so it goes.

Why do they get so aggressive?

It's something that's interested me for many years.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Eating Meat

Postby greggerypeccary » 24 Mar 2018, 14:35

Any ideas, mothra.

It's something that really baffles me.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 24 Mar 2018, 15:03

I hear that bobby loves to eat meat .... he loves nothing better than a sausage
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby greggerypeccary » 24 Mar 2018, 15:10

johnsmith wrote:I hear that bobby loves to eat meat .... he loves nothing better than a sausage

Indeed.

greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 24 Mar 2018, 15:30

greggerypeccary wrote:Any ideas, mothra.

They do get thingy, don't they.

It's psych. 101. People respond defensively to something they do yet know they compromise some of their values when doing it.

They then flail about trying to justify themselves and the best way to do that is to lessen the value.

They have to undermine so as to justify their own self-reflection so it reconciles with what they want.

Everyone knows that to eat meat, something has to die. It's not what Disney taught us. So people do things to manage that conflict. They distance themselves from the actuality; or they talk about canine teeth and protein (ffs); or they just start proclaiming loudly that they love their meat and talk to you obsessively about it.

They're compensating.

So intead of just saying, “Okay” when someone tells you they don't do something by choice that you know you do but is not ideal, you kick sand in their face, give them a wedgie and get their mum to call your mum.

This is essentially how religion works.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 24 Mar 2018, 15:37

I must add that it's a given that every single vegan and vegetarian has heard all of your arguments (not you, general you) a great many times and, almost as in defiance, has chosen to disagree with them all.

And they have the audacity to actively embody it.

It can make a person very cross indeed.
mothra
Duck

Postby greggerypeccary » 24 Mar 2018, 17:53

mothra wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:Any ideas, mothra.

They do get thingy, don't they.

It's psych. 101. People respond defensively to something they do yet know they compromise some of their values when doing it.

They then flail about trying to justify themselves and the best way to do that is to lessen the value.

They have to undermine so as to justify their own self-reflection so it reconciles with what they want.

Everyone knows that to eat meat, something has to die. It's not what Disney taught us. So people do things to manage that conflict. They distance themselves from the actuality; or they talk about canine teeth and protein (ffs); or they just start proclaiming loudly that they love their meat and talk to you obsessively about it.

They're compensating.

So intead of just saying, “Okay” when someone tells you they don't do something by choice that you know you do but is not ideal, you kick sand in their face, give them a wedgie and get their mum to call your mum.

This is essentially how religion works.

Hmmm, I should have finished my psych major.

It's really a strange thing to watch.

They change in an instant - red face, aggressive stance, and raised voice.

I actually went back to eating meat because of such behaviour.

Life is too short.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 24 Mar 2018, 18:20

greggerypeccary wrote:It's really a strange thing to watch.

Life is too short.

We all do it, to greater or lesser extents.

Much prejudice finds it's origins here.

The way i try to view the world is by firstly accepting that we are all hypocrites ... what matters is what we tell ourselves to justify our hypocrisy. And how we treat others and their rights to reconciling themselves with their own hypocrisy.

So i have no judgement over whether people eat meat, or take drugs, or drink too much, or smoke, or don't exercise, or have sex with people i wouldn't, or have a god thing going on ... or whatever they do or don't do. I just know what i have to do to be okay, so i do it.

And it makes some people ever so cross.

Take Gordy for example. He invests tremendous energy in trying to get me to admit that i think i'm "superior" in various ways. Setanta's thrown it at me too. I don't. It's just that our choices make other people think about their own and when they come up short, they tend to restrict themselves to only a couple of reactions.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 24 Mar 2018, 18:25

mothra wrote:We all do it, to greater or lesser extents.

never :h
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby greggerypeccary » 24 Mar 2018, 18:40

mothra wrote:

Life is too short.

The way i try to view the world is by firstly accepting that we are all hypocrites ...

Agreed.

Gordon is still a dickhead, though.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2018, 20:35

From Twitter:

Bat Aimless @ladyaimless1 9h9 hours ago More

Don't know where this butcher shop is, but apparently they've mounted a vegan on the wall

:bgrin
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 24 Mar 2018, 22:43

greggerypeccary wrote:
Gordon is still a dickhead, though.

Well, that was never in question.
mothra
Duck

Postby Miranda » 25 Mar 2018, 08:41

I don't eat beef for environmental reasons. I mainly eat chicken and fish.
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby pinkeye » 26 Mar 2018, 02:52

mothra wrote:

Life is too short.

We all do it, to greater or lesser extents.

Much prejudice finds it's origins here.

The way i try to view the world is by firstly accepting that we are all hypocrites ... what matters is what we tell ourselves to justify our hypocrisy. And how we treat others and their rights to reconciling themselves with their own hypocrisy.

So i have no judgement over whether people eat meat, or take drugs, or drink too much, or smoke, or don't exercise, or have sex with people i wouldn't, or have a god thing going on ... or whatever they do or don't do. I just know what i have to do to be okay, so i do it.

And it makes some people ever so cross.

Take Gordy for example. He invests tremendous energy in trying to get me to admit that i think i'm "superior" in various ways. Setanta's thrown it at me too. I don't. It's just that our choices make other people think about their own and when they come up short, they tend to restrict themselves to only a couple of reactions.

Yes a fair comment. Never having been a vegetarian I have no personal experience such as GPs.
But it is behaviour which is fairly common across society, and issues which exist in society have , for some, a programmed response. It really is basic.
Many folk who feel in some way threatened react offensively.
Offense is the best defense.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 26 Mar 2018, 02:57

Miranda wrote:I don't eat beef for environmental reasons. I mainly eat chicken and fish.

So only free range chickens and wild caught fish eh?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 26 Mar 2018, 10:54

pinkeye wrote: So only free range chickens and wild caught fish eh?

Organic chicken and fresh caught Black back salmon, for me. Haven't eaten red meats or dairies for decades, same with processed foods, never touch them. Learnt years ago to not mention my diet, to many wankers jump on their bandwagons and become abusive. They are mainly beer gutted obese cretins, or fat women, yet they think they hold the ethical high ground. But their actual health situation gives them away, suppose it has to do with the depth of denial they live within, which is probably the most common psychological human trait, denial of world reality and their own biological/psychological reality.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby Miranda » 26 Mar 2018, 11:25

Yes to the chicken, but only because it is easily got. I buy fish from the market. I know that supports the rape of our oceans', but I'm still learning.
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Mar 2018, 15:10

I love sashimi kingfish, salmon and tuna.

I do like a steak now and then. To honor the animal who lost their life to feed me I am happy to eat offal and unusual cuts, beef cheek, skirt steak. I don’t like tripe, taste doesn’t agree with me but can eat some the way the chinese cook it.

Any beef I buy is grassfed, no feedlot rubbish. Ordering loam, compost etc just now I was offered “feedlot manure” but I said “No!” to that straightaway. The poor cows in a feedlot have to be fed shiploads of antibiotics because they eat grain and walk deep in their manure and stuff like that. I don’t buy horsepoo from racing stables either!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Miranda » 26 Mar 2018, 17:22

The problem is methane. If everyone stopped eating beef and ate lamb instead, that would reduce methane levels greatly.
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby johnsmith » 26 Mar 2018, 19:30

Miranda wrote:and ate lamb instead

FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Mar 2018, 20:00

Miranda wrote:The problem is methane. If everyone stopped eating beef and ate lamb instead, that would reduce methane levels greatly.

Lamb chops and salad for dinner tonight :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 27 Mar 2018, 00:33

Dax wrote:
pinkeye wrote: So only free range chickens and wild caught fish eh?

Organic chicken and fresh caught Black back salmon, for me. Haven't eaten red meats or dairies for decades, same with processed foods, never touch them. Learnt years ago to not mention my diet, to many wankers jump on their bandwagons and become abusive. They are mainly beer gutted obese cretins, or fat women, yet they think they hold the ethical high ground. But their actual health situation gives them away, suppose it has to do with the depth of denial they live within, which is probably the most common psychological human trait, denial of world reality and their own biological/psychological reality.

Well I avoid processed foods. I like red meat but don't have access the good stuff, so I try to buy organic from supermarkets. I don't do dairy either. Not for a long time, just from listening to my body. Umm altho I HAVE had some Jarlsburg cheese slices lately, and a bit of UHT 1% calcium enriched milk :roll I've had dentures put in, and its been a bit rough, so I've been sticking to soft stuff. I've actually lost a little over a kilo since last Monday. :bgrin

Mind you, I don't need to be any lighter than this. 59kg. A bit light on. I'm getting a touch-up to my new teeth tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to get into my more usual food soon. I'm looking forward to it.
Have had some different food though lately, as a result. Not sure any of them will stay . :nah
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2018, 07:41

Reminds me of a true event. . .

Me and then business partner owned a big villa, subdivided into flats, on the south coast. For some reason it was decided I should have a months break down there (partner, over my vociferous objections, had taken over one of the flats for his use on weekends.)

So I went there :rofl and it was OK. Was in winter so I got the recipe from Mum for Dutch pea soup. So I wandered up to the local butcher shop and ordered a pigs head. Two days later went back and picked it up. Couldn’t start cooking until dinner had been made. So had an idea: I put the pig head on a plate, put it on the top shelf and turned the plate so the pig head was looking at where you would stand with the fridge door partially opened and retired.

Oh boy, worked a treat! I heard this hippy rave on “I opened the fridge, and there it was looking at me and it was all bloody. . . [rant continued for ten more minutes”] and I stood there in the next room and enjoyed it all! :rofl

So put the pig head, soup veges etc on to barely simmer overnight. Every drop of the soup got eaten by the hippies that were our tenants! One boy, lactose intolerant, must have lacked some protein or something because his hippy Mum obviously couldn’t afford meat on the dole and none of the hippies wanted to work for their living. I made him a couple meat dishes including my winter time fave, red cabbage with stewed skirt steak (rooie kool met haché.)

Good times. Eventually dickhead partner lost us the villa, not doing much architecture work (two fuck ups one of which cost me $5000 after the partnership split up) and staying in the flat instead of renting it out and using that to pay the mortgage) and we sold it for $150K instead of the $1m if we could have kept it another 10 years. He also left $120K in debts plus $20K debt to the ATO. Not good times. But I got through them—and never cracked a self help book :bgrin horseboy was disappointed. :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 28 Mar 2018, 23:47

:bgrin devastated.

Nah never read one in my life. Umm altho... I do remember a really great little read ..I think it was called 'The Knight in Rusty Armour' . A modern fairy tale with a message.

So I'm looking forward to eating a steak, soon. Like soon as in next month? :roll

My birthday soon, and my dear friend is shouting lunch. :grn
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Return to Sand Pit