The song remains the same ....

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale



Just post here—don’t need to join.
.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Feb 2019, 15:12

pinkeye wrote:ummmmmmmmm


Change of ...??

I first heard for real .. Dame Joan Sutherland .. on an ABC coverage years ago now..... on a scungey TV...….

of one of the performances she gave ... umm towards the latter part of her Career..probably , in London. ??

it was a live performance, with all the pomp and grandeur of opera... she was SOLO.... I can only remember an image of her in her gown onstage,...……. AND ... her voice. !!!! :smitten

It was in Italian. :bgrin So.. I don't know the part... could have been Carmen or ..?? well frankly practically all operatic heroines die ugly deaths.. :roll …. the sheer humanity undid me.


………….. I heard her voice....!! .......................

totally unexpected...

it was exquisite... the suffering, the bravery, my god..I found myself quietly crying at the sheer power of the emotion she conveyed...

I finally understood why Opera has such a significant place in western culture.


I have been moved.. since.. but remain ignorant.

Anyone for the Opera.?


Not Carmen: Joan Sutherland was a lyric soprano/soprano coloratura not a mezzo soprano which Carmen calls for.

Joan Sutherland In Lucia di Lammermoor, very high notes, top of the human vocal range (outside of a torture chamber anyway) but totally controlled, the impossible made to seem easy.

I saw three operas in the Vienna Staatsoper in Jan 1978. Saw Fidelio (who wrote it, HM overtures did the composer write for it? No googling!) next day got a cheap seat: line up at about 4.00pm, when the door opened race up to the top, the worst and cheapest seats, signify you nabbed the seat by knotting a scarf etc on the rail in front of it.

I can’t remember the opera. I remember I could hardly see any of the stage. Didn’t matter: I remember it was like the voices floated up to the ceiling just in front of me. Heh, imagine a pop singer, power blackout, he wouldn’t be able to fill a fucking telephone booth with sound :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Leaving, I noticed that Thursday they had Die Zauberflöte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. I could not not go and see it. An impossibility! So I stayed in Vienna a few days longer. Not exactly a hardship you understand? Want to know what culture is go to Vienna! Anyway, greatly enjoyed the opera—blown away—then went on the rest of my trip (Zurich, Munich back to Rotterdam) and the last leg my Eurailpass had expired (as I knew back in Vienna that it would) and tho I tried to travel Munich-Rotterdam first class I got booted into (unheated) second class. I could not give a damn: I had watched a Mozart opera live in Mozart’s city of Vienna.

I quite enjoy a Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera as well. Can’t live off grand opera all the time!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53810
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Aussie » 02 Mar 2019, 13:16

Mr Peccerry, recently someone put up Bohemian Rhapsody...single guitarist....your comment was that you'd toss away your guitars......I can't find it. Help?
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8879
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Aussie » 02 Mar 2019, 14:47

Aussie wrote:Mr Peccerry, recently someone put up Bohemian Rhapsody...single guitarist....your comment was that you'd toss away your guitars......I can't find it. Help?


Mothra?
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8879
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Mar 2019, 15:50

There IS a search facility, Aussie.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53810
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Aussie » 02 Mar 2019, 16:17

HBS Guy wrote:There IS a search facility, Aussie.


So...use it for me. Farqed if I can find it.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8879
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 02 Mar 2019, 18:39

Here you go Aussie. Greg posted in the 'Off Topic':


https://www.polanimal.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5549
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby Aussie » 02 Mar 2019, 19:18

mothra wrote:Here you go Aussie. Greg posted in the 'Off Topic':


https://www.polanimal.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5549


Tendewberry mud. One of my golf mates was after it.

:bgrin
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8879
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 02 Mar 2019, 19:45

You're most welcome. I'm quite partial to this version myself:

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 02 Mar 2019, 23:35

One of Adelaide's finest. So very good live:

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 09 Mar 2019, 23:08

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 09 Mar 2019, 23:14

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 09 Mar 2019, 23:21

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby pinkeye » 09 Mar 2019, 23:26

HBS Guy wrote:
pinkeye wrote:ummmmmmmmm


Change of ...??

I first heard for real .. Dame Joan Sutherland .. on an ABC coverage years ago now..... on a scungey TV...….

of one of the performances she gave ... umm towards the latter part of her Career..probably , in London. ??

it was a live performance, with all the pomp and grandeur of opera... she was SOLO.... I can only remember an image of her in her gown onstage,...……. AND ... her voice. !!!! :smitten

It was in Italian. :bgrin So.. I don't know the part... could have been Carmen or ..?? well frankly practically all operatic heroines die ugly deaths.. :roll …. the sheer humanity undid me.


………….. I heard her voice....!! .......................

totally unexpected...

it was exquisite... the suffering, the bravery, my god..I found myself quietly crying at the sheer power of the emotion she conveyed...

I finally understood why Opera has such a significant place in western culture.


I have been moved.. since.. but remain ignorant.

Anyone for the Opera.?


Not Carmen: Joan Sutherland was a lyric soprano/soprano coloratura not a mezzo soprano which Carmen calls for.

Joan Sutherland In Lucia di Lammermoor, very high notes, top of the human vocal range (outside of a torture chamber anyway) but totally controlled, the impossible made to seem easy.

I saw three operas in the Vienna Staatsoper in Jan 1978. Saw Fidelio (who wrote it, HM overtures did the composer write for it? No googling!) next day got a cheap seat: line up at about 4.00pm, when the door opened race up to the top, the worst and cheapest seats, signify you nabbed the seat by knotting a scarf etc on the rail in front of it.

I can’t remember the opera. I remember I could hardly see any of the stage. Didn’t matter: I remember it was like the voices floated up to the ceiling just in front of me. Heh, imagine a pop singer, power blackout, he wouldn’t be able to fill a fucking telephone booth with sound :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Leaving, I noticed that Thursday they had Die Zauberflöte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. …………………..: I had watched a Mozart opera live in Mozart’s city of Vienna.

I quite enjoy a Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera as well. Can’t live off grand opera all the time!


How wonderful. Yes I think it was Lucia Di Lammermoor.. I'm thinking. Its a memory of a voice that made me cry, from the sheer tragedy .. and I didn't know the story. I'll never forget it. And you are lucky indeed to have experienced some of that excellence.
I've heard a voice that moved me, the same way. Much more recent, just a brief passage... I'll never know or hear it again. A female voice... utterly grabbing.

There is a certain something in opera, and yes we all glimpsed that when we loved the three Tenors.. Carreras was actually my fave but i never really went there.. Pavarotti and Domingo were basically caricatures, albeit with mighty voices.

Certainly stirring stuff, but I'll never forget that Live Joan Sutherland.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 09 Mar 2019, 23:30

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 09 Mar 2019, 23:40

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 09 Mar 2019, 23:49

The only song i ever liked from these guys:


User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby pinkeye » 10 Mar 2019, 00:02

oh so incredible. Thank you Mothra. That voice...……….
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby pinkeye » 10 Mar 2019, 00:05

Watchin Listening to her now

I first heard her much later in her career. Thanks looking at a YouTube on her life.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby pinkeye » 10 Mar 2019, 00:36

A great voice... never heard the like.

Can you find her in Tosca.?
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 10 Mar 2019, 00:43

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby pinkeye » 10 Mar 2019, 00:52

Thank you.

That has to be the best voice I've ever heard.
I thought Callas was good , as an ignorant child. I never really followed up on it. Now in my 60's ...

Now I've heard more Joan Sutherland...

Amazing how different they sound, and yet both are majestic.

I have to pay the Australian.

Absolutely INCREDIBLE.!!
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Mar 2019, 08:39

Joan Sutherland in “La Traviata” just unsurpassable. Very high notes, sung creamily, no strain. Have a record (vinyl) of that. Must get the vinyl copied onto DVDs, I think.

Elizabetta Rosenberg in the Peer Gwynt suite.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 53810
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 11 Mar 2019, 00:43

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 11 Mar 2019, 01:02

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: The song remains the same ....

Postby mothra » 11 Mar 2019, 01:11

User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6482
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests