Weird old beer bottle

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Hot topic: Some of the best political cartoons collected here.

Special feature: Peter “Walter Mitty” Costello.

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: Aussie

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Weird old beer bottle

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2017, 14:31

Having a bit of a cleanout of my car, found this bottle I had bought some weeks ago.

It is quite squat which leads me to think early–mid nineteenth century. A champagne cork style closure—this is way before crown seal caps. Also very black and very thick, quite a heavy bottle for its size..

It has a punt in the bottom but the punt is flat, no peak.

No makers name I can see, indicating an earlier date of manufacture.

Photos in a minute
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Weird old beer bottle

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2017, 14:46

The bottle:

The punt:
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Weird old beer bottle

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2017, 17:27

Have a substantial bid in on:

Worcester porcelain dating to 1755. This is 4 years after the factory started! Also it is totally different to all other Worcester I have seen.

Funny story about Worcester: they were going to make fake–chinese porcelain and make a fortune. Ah well, the best laid plans of mice and men “Gang aft agley” and the Worcester soft paste porcelain was thicker than the Chinese hard paste porcelain.

What to do. One thing: they found shapes in silverware (sauce boats, sucrieres and creamers etc) and made them in porcelain. They also learned to print patterns then apply the glaze and fire it.

They were one up on their English competitors of Chelsea and Derby: by adding soapstone to the mix of burnt bones and clay etc they made a porcelain that you could make tea in, the other makers made porcelain that would shatter if you poured boiling water into it :bgrin

The original formula Worcester used turned light passing through the porcelain green. They changed the formula in the early 60s and light stayed white passing through the porcelain. One way of testing how early a piece of Worcester is, better than relying on the “Dr Wall” period crescent mark (that was used after his retirement and later his death in 1774.

The Industrial Revolution was starting up and the Napoleonic wars 40 years in the future. Patent law didn’t exist yet: Caughly, Grainger and Chamberlain all worked at Worcester and stole moulds, the formula for the porcelain, the printing process etc etc and set up on their own. Caughley set up quite close and remained independent, the factory eventually passed to Coalport. Grainger and Chamberlain eventually merged with Worcester again. I have some Caughley and some Grainger Worcester.

The beer back then would have been Porter, a brown strong ale, very strong! In the early 1800s India Pale Ale started its short life and gave birth to Pilsner lagers. A time of change.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Sand Pit