Fat Lava aka Retro aka Mid Century Pottery

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Hot topic: Some of the best political cartoons collected here.

Special feature: Peter “Walter Mitty” Costello.

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: Aussie

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Fat Lava aka Retro aka Mid Century Pottery

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Oct 2017, 09:07

Also a tiny bit of porcelain is included in this category.

1946 and Germany is prostate and divided after 12 years of totalitiarian rule. What sort of pottery you think a nation like this might produce? Something sombre, subdued, hinting at pain, repression?

Nope nope nope! A whole new type of pottery emerged, bright, outré and full of confidence! The artistic spirit of free expression had been denied, oppressed but not broken!

Just cop the above (in a “volcanic” glaze.) I like collecting this stuff, just a small part of my collection:

Tiny bits of fat lava got made in Norway, France, Holland, Austria. A secondary centre was in Italy, which also suffered from oppression. Some was made in East Germany, a lot of it rubbish but some good. At the height even some got made in Australia because the factories could not keep up with demand. West Germany was the heartland of fat lava/retro etc pottery.

On my shelf the three pieces on the left are from the 1940s, studio pieces that predated the fat lava era by a few years. They are an expression of the “Deco Echo” that inspired the early pieces. On the right is a typical fat (a thick glaze with some drip effect) lava piece.

A second shelf:
The piece on the right, a striking shape, is THE iconic piece of fat lava. A pitcher in shape (unusual shape for a pitcher!) not glazed on the inside, just a piece of art. The Ruscha 313. Mine is the early, original shape. It proved a bitch to remove from the mold and got modified twice for easier production. THE flagship piece of midcentury art. And was introduced quite early.

Hitler didn’t like Art Deco, art had to support his idiotic idea of nazism, racial purity and all that bilgewater. So the German potters revived art deco in their way, using curves not geometric lines. The fat lava vases have handles, usually only one, very unusual in a vase where you have two handles if you have any at all.

By the late 1970s the fat lava period had run out of steam, some of the factories closed, others turned to making crockery for the kitchen etc.

I have my eye on this piece of Italian fat lava. It is quite striking, yes?

Hmmm on the first shelf on the right is a book titled “July 1914” (damage to the spine hides part of the 1914 bit.) It is about diplomatic efforts in July 1914. Ineffectual, the next month the guns were speaking and 4 years of mechanical massacre lay ahead, followed, by diplomacy failing the peace, by 12 years of the Thousand Year Reich. I don’t open that book very often.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Fat Lava aka Retro aka Mid Century Pottery

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2017, 23:26

Nice Italian fat lava piece:

Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Oct 2017, 19:16

Nice day out today. So nice not to be bedbound or hobbling from handhold to handhold with my balance really fucked up causing nausea and upchucking. Left ear not quite back to normal but so what, right ear works a treat!

After breakfast at a nice place went through Mt Compass, stopped at the antique shop there. Closed. Darn I did not say tho four letter words were uttered. On to Pt Elliot. The shop there was open, wasn’t sure, not open Monday in winter.

I did well, a Matchbox fire brigade truck with ladder etc. I have no idea why I collect model cars but any I see that are all metal and interesting (lots of detail) I buy it if the price is reasonable. Most expensive model I ever bought is the tractor in my current avatar, $65 and WORTH it! Why is it worth it? Fucked if I know but is a big mother of a model.

I saw a Zeiss blood testing kit. $40. Dates to 1900s. Bought it for my fave niece who has a doctor’s box dating (we think) to the 1900s or so.

Thinking “Bundlemania!” I took this nice German jug (“Trink edlen wein aus kühlen stein” which should not need translation) off its shelf and got a nice price for the three items. Bloke asked me not to tell “the boss” :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin and who was I to wake the sleeping dragon? So on to the next stop. Now, I had noticed a place on the main road on the way in so went back there.

Oh dear. Teak teak teak everywhere. Some real beaut pieces, real beaut prices, everything was like $1500 or $1650. Will get some pieces from there just before moving to Tassie. Teak is neat, you know?

On to Strathalbyn. Picked up this nice bedside table I bought a bit earlier but did not have the room in the car to remove to casa Monk. Bought a nice rustic and rather old wooden planter box with three old terra cotta plant pots. Groovy in my conservatory!

On to Cottage Collectibles, it of the half price air guitars! :jump

Didn’t buy nothing, but a nice Aesthetic Movement teapot (all bamboo and the like) which I KNEW was late 19th C as eventually the owner had to admit after getting on his computer and checking out the Rd number was 1884, right in the Aesthetic Movement. Slight crack to the lid, who cares, $25, I got him to put it aside for me to buy a bit later (had no cash and CC does not do EFTPOS, hmmmm.) Very neat, I missed out on a couple of these on eBay earlier. He had a couple other nice bits, oh well, will have to wait a bit but I will be back.

The drive as a drive was very pleasant, country side fecund and green, still plenty wattle in full flower. Traffic no hassle until well down the freeway on the way home.

Lovely day.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 09 Oct 2017, 19:28

Teak is neat, you know?

Yes, also very bloody heavy!
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Oct 2017, 19:30

Yeah. I wuz tinking getting a ’movalist to do it might be good?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 09 Oct 2017, 19:41

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah. I wuz tinking getting a ’movalist to do it might be good?

Unless it's a teak chop stick....you ain't moving it!
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Oct 2017, 19:47

Actually, the place had a nice table, the top a solid slab of teak. Can see myself sitting at it chopping veg etc for dinner and eating my dinner there.

But will need to wait till closer to DA MOVE.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Oct 2017, 20:23

Oh silly me, how could I forget?

Bought a nice Diana stoneware teapot, real beaut, stoneware, never used, a nice fine strainer in the base of the spout.

Matches a biscuit barrel I bought earlier.

Diana Nefertiti stoneware.

Now to look for Diana Nefertiti sucrier and cremer and maybe cups and saucers? Ahh collecting!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Sand Pit