Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.
Post Reply
User avatar
pinkeye
Rhinocerus
Posts: 5715
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 22:29
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by pinkeye »

Lols wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 16:15
So I’m doing tax paperwork, phone calls. Then I take a break and look at Menes to distract and cheer me up.

The trouble I find with spending a lot of time alone, is that I start thinking of unresolved issues then I get angry. They just pop into the forefront of my mind!

My mum always used to say to keep busy or go nuts.
Alas too busy and rushing around much doesn’t help either!
Thank goodness for distractions like Netflix and YouTube

Apart from all that, health wise all good, no covid-19 here, or in fact, anyone I know.
Gosh....USA is getting a lot of covid-19 infections per day! :read
Yes the USA is in big trouble. We can only sit and watch, really.

The trouble I find with spending a lot of time alone, is that I start thinking of unresolved issues then I get angry. They just pop into the forefront of my mind!


That is a good description. But you have to break that down. You are not facing issues and so you escape from them.. whether it's memories, or current stuff. Busy work does get your mind off stuff, because you can focus on the task. It is very difficult to be honest with yourself.
Do you ever stand in front of a mirror and look into your own eyes..? Not just a glance... a long look.

Then you try and identify what it is .. or what they are, the things that means you can't live with yourself without constant distractions.

Is a resolution possible?..... would be my first place to start.

If there is NO way to solve the problem, let it go. ACCEPT. You might feel you have failed in some way BUT we ALL do, Or perhaps others have betrayed you. Better to spend your energy on other issues. The past cannot be revisited. Or changed.
We just have to live with it.
When I find myself dwelling on bad things I consciously acknowledge it, and make an effort to change my thinking. Because I KNOW there is NOTHING I CAN DO.

IF these are current matters you REALLY need to sit down and look at yourself in the mirror, in the eyes, and run through the issues.

You need to identify each and every thing that concerns you, that causes you to go into a bit of a spin...
You need to allocate importance to these concerns.

Then you decide what you can do about them.


Once you have done this , when you have actually looked yourself in the eye , and grasped these slippery devils that make you feel bad, you can consign them to their correct places.
Accept
Discard
Act

The you will feel strong, and , perhaps ? in control.?

So sorry about the above unasked-for advice. I am just doing it on impulse, in response to your post. I have lived alone for years, and it is often the quiet times , or something you see or read, that triggers it. ONE MUST take control :roll :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
Posts: 56236
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 16:07

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

Worry = energy spent on future events that may not happen and you can’t do anything about. Worrying saps your energy but achieves nothing. Planning is not worrying—it aims to control events, not just going round and round in circles.

Guilt = energy spent on past events that obviously cannot be changed. Planning and action (an apology, paying some compensation etc) may ameliorate the results of the past action.

Keep those equations in mind and the amount of fretting will be greatly reduced.

User avatar
johnsmith
Lion
Posts: 10706
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:09
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by johnsmith »

We're all getting into the Anzac spirit today.
This morning my oldest learnt and then played 'the last post' on his trumpet. Or more correctly, he played the opening bit (about 1/3rd of the song). Which was pretty good considering he only practiced it for about 20 mins total. I've been asking him to learn it all week, he finally decided to do it today. Better late than never I suppose

Now wifey dearest is making ANZAC cookies.

I'll let you know how they taste once I'm done eating them. It shouldn't take long, the last time she made a batch they lasted about 5 mins with the 3 boys in the house :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
Posts: 56236
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 16:07

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

I will make a batch on Monday! Deelish!

User avatar
SethBullock
Warthog
Posts: 3147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 14:07
spamone: Animal
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by SethBullock »

Social distancing in my daughters room. From left to right, Zorro, Shmooshy, and Baron.
Three.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

User avatar
johnsmith
Lion
Posts: 10706
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:09
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by johnsmith »

johnsmith wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 16:21
I'll let you know how they taste once I'm done eating them.
They came out pretty good. They didn't last very long so I think the kids agreed.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

User avatar
johnsmith
Lion
Posts: 10706
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:09
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 11:27
Social distancing in my daughters room. From left to right, Zorro, Shmooshy, and Baron.

Three.jpeg

good thing they don't listen to trumpy :clap :clap :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
Posts: 56236
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 16:07

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

HBS Guy wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 17:15
I will make a batch on Monday! Deelish!
Ummm, tommorow. And a Bakewell tart.

Chuck
Cheetah
Posts: 1067
Joined: 11 May 2019, 19:09
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by Chuck »

johnsmith wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 16:21
We're all getting into the Anzac spirit today.
This morning my oldest learnt and then played 'the last post' on his trumpet. Or more correctly, he played the opening bit (about 1/3rd of the song). Which was pretty good considering he only practiced it for about 20 mins total. I've been asking him to learn it all week, he finally decided to do it today. Better late than never I suppose

Now wifey dearest is making ANZAC cookies.

I'll let you know how they taste once I'm done eating them. It shouldn't take long, the last time she made a batch they lasted about 5 mins with the 3 boys in the house :bgrin
It such a lovely touch!

Thanx, for ur family consider me as an ex-serviceman!

User avatar
pinkeye
Rhinocerus
Posts: 5715
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 22:29
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by pinkeye »

SethBullock wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 11:27
Social distancing in my daughters room. From left to right, Zorro, Shmooshy, and Baron.

Three.jpeg

So never guessed you'd be a cat guy.. 3 daughters 3 cats..?? :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

User avatar
SethBullock
Warthog
Posts: 3147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 14:07
spamone: Animal
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by SethBullock »

pinkeye wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 00:43
SethBullock wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 11:27
Social distancing in my daughters room. From left to right, Zorro, Shmooshy, and Baron.

Three.jpeg

So never guessed you'd be a cat guy.. 3 daughters 3 cats..?? :bgrin
I've had cats all my life, and I really like them.
Baron14.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

User avatar
pinkeye
Rhinocerus
Posts: 5715
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 22:29
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by pinkeye »

Oh yeah as a child, and for my early teens, cats were around. I love (d) cats. But now I own land dedicated to wildlife a cat is the last thing I need.
Owning a dog that loves to kill lizards and snakes doesn't thrill me, but no way I'd have a cat. Huge problem here in Oz with feral cats destroying wildlife, and I wouldn't own one now.

But, I do agree they are beguiling creatures.
sleeping is good for you

User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
Posts: 56236
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 16:07

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

We did have cats early on, 1950s-60s, but for myself I prefer dogs≥

User avatar
SethBullock
Warthog
Posts: 3147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 14:07
spamone: Animal
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by SethBullock »

HBS Guy wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 11:31
We did have cats early on, 1950s-60s, but for myself I prefer dogs≥
I love dogs as well, and we've had many over the years.

Dogs need their masters to be around, and right now my wife and I are still working, so we're waiting until we both retire to get another one so that it will get the attention it needs. The cats will just have to adapt, but they will.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
Posts: 56236
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 16:07

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

Yeah, I want one now just to get me out walking etc, getting cabin fever!

User avatar
SethBullock
Warthog
Posts: 3147
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 14:07
spamone: Animal
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by SethBullock »

HBS Guy wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:42
Yeah, I want one now just to get me out walking etc, getting cabin fever!
Everyone knows that dogs make wonderful companions. They really do. But that big ole male tabby staring down from his perch is a big ole baby who loves his people, loves to cuddle up on a lap or between your legs at night. When I pet him, he looks at me like I am the best thing in the whole world to him, and he reaches out gently with his paw to touch my face.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
Posts: 9651
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:55

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by Aussie »

SethBullock wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 13:29
HBS Guy wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:42
Yeah, I want one now just to get me out walking etc, getting cabin fever!
Everyone knows that dogs make wonderful companions. They really do. But that big ole male tabby staring down from his perch is a big ole baby who loves his people, loves to cuddle up on a lap or between your legs at night. When I pet him, he looks at me like I am the best thing in the whole world to him, and he reaches out gently with his paw to touch my face.
Nah....he's getting the range right.

User avatar
pinkeye
Rhinocerus
Posts: 5715
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 22:29
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by pinkeye »

:bgrin

:bgrin

It's hard to find the words.. :roll :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

User avatar
Lols
mountain lion
Posts: 757
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:28
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by Lols »

HBS Guy wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:42
Yeah, I want one now just to get me out walking etc, getting cabin fever!
We just came back from a nice long drive delivering stuff (I wouldn’t usually go but did to get out) and saw a lot of people walking the dog!
Even in the rain :giggle

There was a funny vid on tv last night of a dog that didn’t want to walk anymore. I will have to see if I can find it and post.
I miss my lil buddy and companion, 6 months gone now and I still catch myself crying.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell

User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
Posts: 9651
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:55

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by Aussie »

Lols wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 15:52
HBS Guy wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:42
Yeah, I want one now just to get me out walking etc, getting cabin fever!
We just came back from a nice long drive delivering stuff (I wouldn’t usually go but did to get out) and saw a lot of people walking the dog!
Even in the rain :giggle

There was a funny vid on tv last night of a dog that didn’t want to walk anymore. I will have to see if I can find it and post.
I miss my lil buddy and companion, 6 months gone now and I still catch myself crying.

User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
Posts: 56236
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 16:07

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

Lols wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 15:52
HBS Guy wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:42
Yeah, I want one now just to get me out walking etc, getting cabin fever!
We just came back from a nice long drive delivering stuff (I wouldn’t usually go but did to get out) and saw a lot of people walking the dog!
Even in the rain :giggle

There was a funny vid on tv last night of a dog that didn’t want to walk anymore. I will have to see if I can find it and post.
I miss my lil buddy and companion, 6 months gone now and I still catch myself crying.
Yeah, I still think of Demi. I don’t cry—did that a few days after her death—but do feel melancholy and sad. I cut the rinds off some rashers of pancetta—and Demi would be under the kitchen table taking a very keen interest! :bgrin So I say, softly, “Demi!” and have a sad little smile and chuck the rinds into the rubbish.

User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
Posts: 56236
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 16:07

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

That dog was hilarious! (Pre corona virus I guess.)

User avatar
Lols
mountain lion
Posts: 757
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:28
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by Lols »

SethBullock wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 01:42
pinkeye wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 00:43
SethBullock wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 11:27
Social distancing in my daughters room. From left to right, Zorro, Shmooshy, and Baron.

Three.jpeg

So never guessed you'd be a cat guy.. 3 daughters 3 cats..?? :bgrin
I've had cats all my life, and I really like them.

Baron14.JPG
We have our daughters cat we look after.
She’s tough and an amazing survivor outdoors!
She misses the dog, I can tell, you just have to know by tuning in to their moods, expressions, different meows.

She is 17 yrs of age and still with a spring in her step.
It’s nice to have the yin-yang of pets. I want another dog, but not when the cat is aging now.
Plus I’m not ready yet, still missing Hutchy.
Hubby says to me when I get sad, one day we will see him again.
That’s what my heaven means to me :smitten
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell

User avatar
Lols
mountain lion
Posts: 757
Joined: 11 Jun 2014, 00:28
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by Lols »

pinkeye wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 23:44
Lols wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 16:15
So I’m doing tax paperwork, phone calls. Then I take a break and look at Menes to distract and cheer me up.

The trouble I find with spending a lot of time alone, is that I start thinking of unresolved issues then I get angry. They just pop into the forefront of my mind!

My mum always used to say to keep busy or go nuts.
Alas too busy and rushing around much doesn’t help either!
Thank goodness for distractions like Netflix and YouTube

Apart from all that, health wise all good, no covid-19 here, or in fact, anyone I know.
Gosh....USA is getting a lot of covid-19 infections per day! :read
Yes the USA is in big trouble. We can only sit and watch, really.

The trouble I find with spending a lot of time alone, is that I start thinking of unresolved issues then I get angry. They just pop into the forefront of my mind!


That is a good description. But you have to break that down. You are not facing issues and so you escape from them.. whether it's memories, or current stuff. Busy work does get your mind off stuff, because you can focus on the task. It is very difficult to be honest with yourself.
Do you ever stand in front of a mirror and look into your own eyes..? Not just a glance... a long look.

Then you try and identify what it is .. or what they are, the things that means you can't live with yourself without constant distractions.

Is a resolution possible?..... would be my first place to start.

If there is NO way to solve the problem, let it go. ACCEPT. You might feel you have failed in some way BUT we ALL do, Or perhaps others have betrayed you. Better to spend your energy on other issues. The past cannot be revisited. Or changed.
We just have to live with it.
When I find myself dwelling on bad things I consciously acknowledge it, and make an effort to change my thinking. Because I KNOW there is NOTHING I CAN DO.

IF these are current matters you REALLY need to sit down and look at yourself in the mirror, in the eyes, and run through the issues.

You need to identify each and every thing that concerns you, that causes you to go into a bit of a spin...
You need to allocate importance to these concerns.

Then you decide what you can do about them.


Once you have done this , when you have actually looked yourself in the eye , and grasped these slippery devils that make you feel bad, you can consign them to their correct places.
Accept
Discard
Act

The you will feel strong, and , perhaps ? in control.?

So sorry about the above unasked-for advice. I am just doing it on impulse, in response to your post. I have lived alone for years, and it is often the quiet times , or something you see or read, that triggers it. ONE MUST take control :roll :bgrin
Actually lovely advice and comforting thank you Pinky.
I do appreciate it :rose
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell

User avatar
pinkeye
Rhinocerus
Posts: 5715
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 22:29
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by pinkeye »

HBS Guy wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 17:15
That dog was hilarious! (Pre corona virus I guess.)
He'd had enough .. all he wanted to do was go home and snooze. Especially heavy dogs don't need as much exercise as we do. Give it a break, bastard. :roll

If the fella had said
OK let's go HOME.!! that dog would have been up like a flash. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

Post Reply