Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.
johnsmith
Lion
spamone: Animal

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by johnsmith »

pinkeye wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 01:32
It's a bit like playing Pool.

You have the cue and the white ball and the coloured Ball you want to sink.

It is an interesting experience. Sometimes you KNOW it'll drop, you KNOW IT. Its like the angles all line up and the target is engaged and, provided you don't fluff the stroke, that Ball drops. Sort of Star Warsy in a way.. for me.. it is like LOCKED ON.!

Of course I haven't played for a while now, and I remember well NOT waiting for that ZAP ON TARGET feel, and I'd shoot too soon.

I still think
I've got a GOOD EYE
for flying projectiles

:bgrin

reminds me off a story on one of my trips to italy.

A guy i had befriended in the village my parents came from, took me out to a bar for drinks one night. The teenagers and younger adults there are always looking for a freebie and tourists are prime targets. When at the bar there were some older kids playing pool. Mt 'friend' asked me if i'd ever seen a pool table before. I couldn't believe the twit thought australia was that backwards that we didn't have pool tables, so i played along and said no, i'd never seen one. So he asked me if i wanted to try to which i said yes. I actually love pool and was pretty good at it. He then told me that the rule in the bar was loser pays for the next game. I said no problem.

Word got out that i was going to play and had never seen a table before, and about 30 seconds after i put down my 1 euro to reserve my place as next player, another 20 people followed suit. I don't know where they all came from as there weren't 20 people in the place. I won 12 games in a row before they figured out i had seen a table before and all the remaining coins on the table reserving their games kinda disappeared. For some reason they didn't want to play me anymore :clap :clap :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 05:46
johnsmith wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 13:35
SethBullock wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 12:44
johnsmith wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 12:36
SethBullock wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 12:14
Took my daughter to the range yesterday (her idea). We had great weather out there, and she really enjoyed learning and shooting.

Daughter at range (2).JPG
It looks like fun. I used to enjoy shooting.
I have spent more time with my daughter in the past weeks of quarantine than I have since she was little.

"The glass being half full."

enjoy it while you can Seth.

My 7 year old reminded me yesterday (for about the tenth time this month) that it was his birthday in 12 days time.
To yank his chain a little, I told him that since my leg was in a brace, I couldn't get to to the shop to buy him a birthday present, and would that be OK with him.
He replied 'that's OK daddy, as long as I get one of your burgers' .

god love em

FYI. His presents are ready and waiting (and now I know what to cook for his dinner on his birthday)
That is a awesome story John :thumb

It's very humbling when you pick on one of your kids like that and they act more grown up than you... I have 2 boys and did a few things like that....My oldest can still be like that... Unfortunately my youngest see's through my bullshit and is no fun at all anymore... :purple
my oldest (10) has started trying to trick me like that as well. He's not very good at it yet because he has a grin a mile wide when he's doing it, but he'll get there.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

johnsmith wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 11:00
pinkeye wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 23:55
johnsmith wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 12:36
SethBullock wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 12:14
Took my daughter to the range yesterday (her idea). We had great weather out there, and she really enjoyed learning and shooting.

Daughter at range (2).JPG
It looks like fun. I used to enjoy shooting.
Me too. Only I only ever shot long guns. Even back then hand-guns were not acceptable. WELL basically, unless you knew someone, you wouldn't ever see one. This is 30 years ago. Now they all seem to be in the cities. :roll

We knew farmers way out west, that had handgun's , but that is the only context in which I have seen them owned here in Oz. It isn't an option, unless you join a Shooters Club. etc etc etc..

Even bows ..? Loved all when younger.

I used to shoot an air rifle as a kid. I was pretty good with it to. I could hit a small chilli from about 50m with no problem which was pretty good considering the gun had no power. then a few years back i joined the GC gun club and started shooting pistols. While there I had a few lessons on a rifle with a former Olympic shooter as well. I stopped shooting when the wife made it clear she didn't want a gun in the house. To improve I needed to shoot the same gun every week. That doesn't happen when using club pistols so I decided that it wasn't worth it.

I also did archery for many years. I started in Wollongong and progression was great. They have older shooter guide you all the way through and i improved quickly. Once i moved to the GC it was completely different. It was every man for himself. My progress stopped cold in its tracks. I persevered for a few more years but eventually i gave up. It was about the same time my oldest was born so giving up most of a Saturday for archery didn't seem right anymore
My friend took me to archery club: he learnt proper technique at school and he wouldnt even let me try the 90 metres! We went to see some friend of his shoot a 54 pound Bow at a competition which he and I found amazing but most of it is circa 38 to 40 pound bows at the Olympics I believe!

Very fun but serious Sport!

You friend was right. I started at 20m and in Wollongong they wouldn't let me advance to 30m until I could hit the bullseye 90% of the time. Then i moved up to 30m. Once I moved to the GC, my first week they had me shoot 90m even though I had only ever shot up to 30m before that. Every week was a different distance. It screwed me up and I was never able to figure out what i was doing wrong. I had only been doing it at wollongong for about 4 months before I moved. I persevered on the GC for another 2 years before I gave up
"Oi!"

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

Went to the store today. Toilet paper was on the shelves. People seemed very calm and very polite.

There were no protests, riots, or gunfights. Sorry. Maybe I just got lucky or unlucky today.

How would that be for a headline? "People Lived Peacefully in City Near Portland!" Or a lead story on the 11 o'clock news. "And it was all caught on video! Tune in at 11."

Face coverings are starting to show some style. One old fella with long hair, like an old biker or hippy, had a big ole red, white and blue, stars and stripes bandana pulled up over his face. I felt much less self-conscious about wearing my mask today. It is hand-made by my wife's friend, and it's washable. Lots of people wearing them now. As I walked into the store, a store employee wearing a mask wiped down a cart with a disinfectant wipe and pushed it to me.

Even though the Deschutes Brewery closed, there's still plenty of it. Maybe it was just the Portland brewery. They have one in Bend, OR, too. Also scored some Sierra Nevada which I'm enjoying right now. It isn't quite 5 pm PST yet, but it's 5:30 pm Mountain Time, so it is past 5 somewhere. Also scored a quart from the Breakside Brewery (Portland) and a quart from the Golden Valley Brewery (McMinnville, OR).

Tomorrow is my last day off before going back to work. I've been off for a month and a week. I had never in my adult life taken that much time off in one stretch until my son got wounded in Iraq in 2007, and I haven't since. So I am looking forward to it. Good to go!

By the way, can you access the Smithsonian Channel? If so, yesterday I watched their show on Oregon, and it was great.

Here is information on the show. I hope you guys can see it. https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/show ... 701/139158
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Post by Aussie »

You blokes should be speaking Spanish. They were the first Europeans there. Wonder why they left it alone? Even 'our' Captain Cook was off the coast in the late 1770s. Weird history...once split in two....the Brits owned one half and the USA the other.

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

johnsmith wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 13:52
my boy turns 8 on the 28th. It's a great age. He usually comes and gives my leg the gentlest little massage once a day to try and help it get better. He's always trying to make everyone feel better.

Maybe a future doctor except he doesn't like school :grn
That type of behaviour could be a sign to his chosen career path.

One of my kids at the age of 6 started picking rocks and used to bring them home, hiding them under the bed.

It also used to brew up concoctions by mixing leaves or seeds of different colours and mentioning to the younger sibling that it was medicine.

Jokingly, I mentioned to the wife, its will become a Witch Doctor or a drug pusher!

Well, I was right in some respects, turned out to become a Pharmacist!

Not a career that I would recommend to any youngsters unless they intend to run their own business.

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

"It?"

:huh

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

Aussie wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:49
You blokes should be speaking Spanish. They were the first Europeans there. Wonder why they left it alone? Even 'our' Captain Cook was off the coast in the late 1770s. Weird history...once split in two....the Brits owned one half and the USA the other.
It's a good point! I suppose Mexico was simply less vast in size!??!
"Oi!"

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

Aussie wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 15:42
"It?"

For privacy reason and the modern world discouraging the gender greetings, words identifying the gender is discouraged.

"It" is a pronoun used to take the place of a genderless noun"

Simple following the modern trend, unless referring to the missus or old chook.

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

Chuck wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 17:15
Aussie wrote:
"It?"

For privacy reason and the modern world discouraging the gender greetings, words identifying the gender is discouraged.

It's not the modern trend: that's all crap to sell newspapers and fake degrees for never ending and newly invented health services. Yay, get a degree to become a box ticker!!! I know, let's import more people while we're at it .... That way we need more box tickers .... It's all mass immigration with the diversion of victimhood to pull the wool!

Thus brexit!
"Oi!"

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Bongalong wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 16:57
Aussie wrote:
Don't forget the French.
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Chuck wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 17:15
Aussie wrote:
"It?"

You could say 'they' or 'them'.. it is singular when used in context, and at least indicates a human.
sleeping is good for you

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

pinkeye wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 23:05
Bongalong wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Don't forget the French.
I think some of their revolutionaries were famous for killing some french people but I don't know what the hell they were doing there?
"Oi!"

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

pinkeye wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Don't forget the French.
Froggies were over on the east US coast.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

Aussie wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 08:29
pinkeye wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Don't forget the French.
Froggies were over on the east US coast.
New Orleans would just be another boring city without the French influence.. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

Today I went to work for 10 hours.

The facility I ordinarily work for has been turned into Oregon's Emergency Management headquarters. The agency is coordinating all aspects of the State's efforts to combat the virus. It is a clearinghouse for information and the acquisition and distribution of crucial supplies to front line medical workers throughout the state wherever they're needed. State workers from many different departments, and members of the military, have all been pulled together and organized to work together on this.

Today I worked in the Logistics and Safety section for a while, did a couple of odd jobs for them, and then I was tasked with the check-in and checkout of these workers. It's nothing like what I usually do, but it was good to be back to work. All work spaces are set up for social distancing, and hand washing stations are everywhere.

Traffic was fairly light on my way to and from work, as expected, but not like a ghost town. Truckers were at work and other commuters going to their jobs. It wasn't normal, but pleasing to see.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Good to hear Seth.

Must admit, I'm starting to get a little bored sitting at home all the time. Made worse by the fact that I can't even go for a walk or bike ride. Can't tinker around in the garden. Can't do anything.

I've two more weeks to go until I can remove the brace and I'm counting the seconds
FD.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

johnsmith wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 13:36
Good to hear Seth.

Must admit, I'm starting to get a little bored sitting at home all the time. Made worse by the fact that I can't even go for a walk or bike ride. Can't tinker around in the garden. Can't do anything.

I've two more weeks to go until I can remove the brace and I'm counting the seconds
I don't blame ya. I have never needed shoulder surgery (knock on wood), but everyone I've ever known who have had it had a slow recovery. Are you doing any physical therapy for it yet?

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 14:15
johnsmith wrote:
Good to hear Seth.

I don't blame ya. I have never needed shoulder surgery (knock on wood), but everyone I've ever known who have had it had a slow recovery. Are you doing any physical therapy for it yet?
Knee surgery

And no physical therapy yet. I can't bend or straighten it with this brace on. That's the purpose of the brace. I can put weight on it,but with the leg stuck with a 90 degree bend, walking is no fun without the crutches.
I don't think I'll need a lot of physical therapy for motion once it's off, but I will need to build up strength in the affected leg before I can go out to work again. Once at work I'm running all day and the leg giving out is not an option.
FD.

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

SethBullock wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 13:09

The facility I ordinarily work for has been turned into Oregon's Emergency Management headquarters. The agency is coordinating all aspects of the State's efforts to combat the virus. It is a clearinghouse for information and the acquisition and distribution of crucial supplies to front line medical workers throughout the state wherever they're needed. State workers from many different departments, and members of the military, have all been pulled together and organized to work together on this.

Today I worked in the Logistics and Safety section for a while, did a couple of odd jobs for them, and then I was tasked with the check-in and checkout of these workers. It's nothing like what I usually do, but it was good to be back to work. All work spaces are set up for social distancing, and hand washing stations are everywhere.

Traffic was fairly light on my way to and from work, as expected, but not like a ghost town. Truckers were at work and other commuters going to their jobs. It wasn't normal, but pleasing to see.
:beer

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

johnsmith wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 16:04
SethBullock wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 14:15
johnsmith wrote:
Good to hear Seth.

Knee surgery

And no physical therapy yet. I can't bend or straighten it with this brace on. That's the purpose of the brace. I can put weight on it,but with the leg stuck with a 90 degree bend, walking is no fun without the crutches.
I don't think I'll need a lot of physical therapy for motion once it's off, but I will need to build up strength in the affected leg before I can go out to work again. Once at work I'm running all day and the leg giving out is not an option.
Whoops. I don't know why I thought it was the shoulder. :oops

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

SethBullock wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 13:09

Good to hear Seth. Work is definitely satisfying.. to contribute.. :thumb
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

johnsmith wrote:
Good to hear Seth.

I'd call that Good Timing JS. You squeaked in and now you are covered.. way to go.. :thumb Good luck does happen.
sleeping is good for you

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 00:43

Whoops. I don't know why I thought it was the shoulder. :oops
There are a lot of online people to keep track off :thumb :thumb
FD.

Lols
mountain lion

Post by Lols »

So I’m doing tax paperwork, phone calls. Then I take a break and look at Menes to distract and cheer me up.

The trouble I find with spending a lot of time alone, is that I start thinking of unresolved issues then I get angry. They just pop into the forefront of my mind!

My mum always used to say to keep busy or go nuts.
Alas too busy and rushing around much doesn’t help either!
Thank goodness for distractions like Netflix and YouTube

Apart from all that, health wise all good, no covid-19 here, or in fact, anyone I know.
Gosh....USA is getting a lot of covid-19 infections per day! :read
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell