Half speed ahead! Reverse!

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Half speed ahead! Reverse!

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2020, 16:18

In a little antique/collectibles shop I love there is an electric ships telegraph, used to tell the engine room what speed etc was needed. (tgselegraph is electric, not the ship, of course.)

It is upside down to how you see them in movies, the handle is under, not over, the telegraph.

Would be great repurposed as a table, nicer to sit around than a bar. Get an electrician to make moving the handle do things, switch bar lights on or off, etc. Maybe. Tassie is an island and shipping is important to it. I have a few items that have at least a maritime flavor, nice decoration for my bar area.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Half speed ahead! Reverse!

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jan 2020, 17:45

HBS Guy wrote:In a little antique/collectibles shop I love there is an electric ships telegraph, used to tell the engine room what speed etc was needed. (tgselegraph is electric, not the ship, of course.)

It is upside down to how you see them in movies, the handle is under, not over, the telegraph.

Would be great repurposed as a table, nicer to sit around than a bar. Get an electrician to make moving the handle do things, switch bar lights on or off, etc. Maybe. Tassie is an island and shipping is important to it. I have a few items that have at least a maritime flavor, nice decoration for my bar area.

As it's a box u could hinge it and use as storage as well. I love repurposing old well built things :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Half speed ahead! Reverse!

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2020, 18:22

It is round. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic