Public Trustee Queensland

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Public Trustee Queensland

Postby Aussie » 03 Aug 2019, 14:26

Many here will know I am no fan of the Public Trustee and take them on whenever I get a chance. So far, I am coming second. My beef with them is that they are inhumane, rapacious and have their fingers in the cookie jar, significantly. An Article in todays Courier Mail (can give a link but it is pay walled.)

MELINDA Walsh has endured a nightmarish odyssey since her parents passed away after 55 years of marriage.

Her father died in early 2017 and her mother followed about a year later, spawning an ongoing legal battle with her brother over the estate.

Walsh has also sparred with the Public Trust of Queensland, which she accuses of grossly mishandling her parents’ affairs, including spending the bulk of their $130,000 in savings.

Last month, a complaints unit at the Public Trustee confirmed it would review the majority of her claims, which include allegations that her father’s valid will was ignored and requests for financial statements went unheeded for two years.
Melinda Walsh and her daughter Marnie on the Gold Coast. Walsh is in a bitter two-year dispute with the Public Trustee over the handling of her late parents' estate. Picture: Nigel Hallett
Melinda Walsh and her daughter Marnie on the Gold Coast. Walsh is in a bitter two-year dispute with the Public Trustee over the handling of her late parents' estate. Picture: Nigel Hallett

Walsh, a sales and marketing executive based on the Gold Coast, also alleges the Public Trustee deliberately overvalued her parents’ small prefabricated home at Coombabah for $2.15 million in order to charge higher fees.

In fact, property records indicate it is only worth a 10th of that amount.

The Public Trustee valuation is included in documents which also show that nearly $1200 was charged for “special fees’’, testing a smoke alarm cost $349 and monthly “realty management’’ fees were debited from the estate.

The property maintenance cost is especially galling to Walsh, who claims the Public Trustee never attended the property, where she discovered a bottle of urine in the sink, bloody carpets, dead insects and overgrown gardens after 12 months of neglect.

The Public Trustee has confirmed it will also investigate Walsh’s allegations that it improperly colluded with a prominent law firm before a Supreme Court hearing.

But the Public Trustee has declined to probe her allegation that a social worker wrongly pressured her father to sign a new will and give the agency his enduring power of attorney just prior to his death in the palliative care ward of a hospital.

It has also knocked back her request to review why the Public Trustee withdrew $50,000 from the couple’s joint back account only a day before he passed away in April 2017.

“Nothing is going to bring Mum and Dad back now, but (my daughter) Marnie and I are united in our ongoing fight for justice,’’ Walsh said.

Never ever let the Public Trustee near you or your relatives. They are grubs.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: Public Trustee Queensland

Postby pinkeye » 03 Aug 2019, 21:51

This is of concern to me.
Not an uncommon occurrence I should imagine.

However, my circumstances don't involve any warring factions.
I've been there, and I don't want any doubt.

I've been there, and done THAT, in the Victorian Courts..I got gutted.

Never going to be my concern anymore. I'll be dead.

The Public Trustee of Queensland is to administer my Last Will and Testament.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Aug 2019, 09:32

If you are leaving your estate to someone you care for. . .get a will drawn up by a private lawyer.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 04 Aug 2019, 12:25

pinkeye wrote:This is of concern to me.
Not an uncommon occurrence I should imagine.

However, my circumstances don't involve any warring factions.
I've been there, and I don't want any doubt.

I've been there, and done THAT, in the Victorian Courts..I got gutted.

Never going to be my concern anymore. I'll be dead.

The Public Trustee of Queensland is to administer my Last Will and Testament.

Get another Will done......do NOT appoint the PT as Executor and Trustee.
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 04 Aug 2019, 23:47

I have no viable options. My best friend has enough on her plate, and I trust no one else.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 05 Aug 2019, 05:52

pinkeye wrote:I have no viable options. My best friend has enough on her plate, and I trust no one else.

If you have a decent will, you don't need a public trustee, you can use your kids or a solicitor. It's the will which holds the power and how you word it makes a big difference, mine is very detailed and have changed it a few times over the years as circumstances change.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 05 Aug 2019, 22:22

I have no kids, nor do I have any 'family' I'd trust. LAWYERS..??? !!!

I've met a couple of good ones, BUT.. Estate Law..? Fuck that.. !! It is a warrant for lawyers to print money. :mad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 06 Aug 2019, 09:12

pinkeye wrote:I have no kids, nor do I have any 'family' I'd trust. LAWYERS..??? !!!

I've met a couple of good ones, BUT.. Estate Law..? Fuck that.. !! It is a warrant for lawyers to print money. :mad

Nowhere near as bad for your cash than the Public Trustee.
Aussie

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Aug 2019, 10:54

pinkeye wrote:I have no kids, nor do I have any 'family' I'd trust. LAWYERS..??? !!!

Remember you can give your estate to a group or charity, basically instead of giving to a unnamed government department, to someone that could further your interests... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 06 Aug 2019, 17:25

DonDeeHippy wrote:

Remember you can give your estate to a group or charity, basically instead of giving to a unnamed government department, to someone that could further your interests... :purple

yes pink .... I hear that the john smith retirement fund does great work. :rose
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Aug 2019, 17:46

Not forgetting the Jovial Monk cidery, doing great services for the drunk and homeless!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 Aug 2019, 00:35

DonDeeHippy wrote:

I have done just that. A small money bequest to a distant, but close, relative, and the rest between various charities.

As I understand it, The Public Trustee can only charge a % of your Estate, for admin fees. Otherwise, they must abide by your Will.

Now, I have seen what happens when family and lawyers get involved. Not happening. I don't care that no-one in my family can have a say.. suits me fine. And bequests go to orgs(nfp) .. that I care about.

My circumstances will never result in the fiasco you have spoken about above. I made sure of that. No warring parties, no arguments between potential beneficiaries.. nope.. BEEN THERE. !!

I think the Public Trustee has offered me a way to manage what occurs after I shuffle off, and the whole thing cost me precisely NOTHING. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Aug 2019, 09:27

My will, when read after I kick the bucket, will no doubt cause a ruckus.

I am leaving the lot to a greatniece.

I have no kids, so can leave it to who I like.

I will tell my bitch sis, grandmother of my greatniece today, get that over.

I never see my nephews from my younger sister, rarely see her daughter. No need to leave anything for them. My sister’s other two daughters are pretty well off, only one has a medical conditions, degeneration of bones in her neck, makes getting work hard. So my modest estate will help her daughter who needs help the most. Niece has the knowledge and skills to work in a commercial kitchen, just not the bit of paper saying that.

I will pay a lawyer to draw up the will. NOT the Public Trustee here!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 07 Aug 2019, 13:38

pinkeye wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

I have done just that. A small money bequest to a distant, but close, relative, and the rest between various charities.

As I understand it, The Public Trustee can only charge a % of your Estate, for admin fees. Otherwise, they must abide by your Will.

Now, I have seen what happens when family and lawyers get involved. Not happening. I don't care that no-one in my family can have a say.. suits me fine. And bequests go to orgs(nfp) .. that I care about.

My circumstances will never result in the fiasco you have spoken about above. I made sure of that. No warring parties, no arguments between potential beneficiaries.. nope.. BEEN THERE. !!

I think the Public Trustee has offered me a way to manage what occurs after I shuffle off, and the whole thing cost me precisely NOTHING. :thumb

Oh sure, they did your Will for zero (on the condition you appoint them Executor & Trustee) but they will rape your Estate mercilessly. That's why they do the Will at no cost.
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 07 Aug 2019, 22:44

I really appreciate the input. I admit to being war-scarred in this respect.

I don't really see how they can damage my estate, and my Will. Umm.... Am I wrong, that they can only charge a % of the Estate.?

It's not very complicated. I like a simple life. No-one benefits from my Pension that I purchased, there is no Reversionary amount. I die, my super pension ceases. SNAP.

My property is sold, and distributed as specified. SNAP.

Other than a bank account or two, that is it. SNAP.

I'd like to see them try to .".rape your Estate mercilessly."

Of course I won't be here.. OH JOY. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 08 Aug 2019, 09:15

pinkeye wrote:I really appreciate the input. I admit to being war-scarred in this respect.

I don't really see how they can damage my estate, and my Will. Umm.... Am I wrong, that they can only charge a % of the Estate.?

It's not very complicated. I like a simple life. No-one benefits from my Pension that I purchased, there is no Reversionary amount. I die, my super pension ceases. SNAP.

My property is sold, and distributed as specified. SNAP.

Other than a bank account or two, that is it. SNAP.

I'd like to see them try to .".rape your Estate mercilessly."

Of course I won't be here.. OH JOY. :bgrin

How about a simple phone call. Just ring the Public Trustee and ask them exactly what their charges will be to administer your Estate.
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 09 Aug 2019, 21:11

I can do that. I am currently doing all sorts of things, and I'll add it to my list.. I've got a few matters to think on.

When I discussed and drew up this Will I asked questions, obviously, but I will clarify it for myself. Thank You.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Return to Off Topic