The "How did you meet your SO" thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

The "How did you meet your SO" thread

Postby Texan » 10 Jul 2019, 02:07

I learn a lot about people and their culture through their stories. Marriage(or even shacking up) is one of the biggest decisions you will ever make. Let's hear how that happened with you. I'll go first.

I had been away from home in the US Air Force for 2 years, when I received a letter in my mailbox. I was good friends with a girl at church when growing up and I guess her mother liked me. I never dated her daughter, but she is still a friend 35 years later as she married a good friend of mine. Anyway, her mother(Gloria) was working with my future wife at an insurance company in the file room and Gloria gave her my address because she wanted a "pen pal". In July 1990, I opened her first letter. We wrote each other for 4 months. I lived about 700 km away and there was no internet yet and phone calls were expensive, so we mostly wrote back and forth and called each other a few times. After 4 months, I went home on leave to see my parents on Thanksgiving weekend and went to meet her at her parent's house. We went to church that night. We wrote to each other 2-3 times/week and by about Easter time, I decided she was the one and I proposed to her. During the engagement, she visited with my parents often and even spent the night there a few times while I was still away in the military. It helped her to get to know my family and it helped earn my parent's approval of her.

About 6 months later, we were married. She was 20 years old and had never left her ultra conservative home. She was a nervous wreck. She was so nervous that we had to cancel our honeymoon cruise. I never let her live that one down. She cried all the way to our first home in New Mexico (that I prepared for us and she had never seen) because it was hard to leave home to live with a guy who has never lived closer than 700 km away as long as she had known him. She persevered and is now very thankful that she didn't have Mom and Dad to run to after our first fight. We have been married for over 27 years and have 3 sons and a granddaughter.
Texan
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Re: The "How did you meet your SO" thread

Postby SethBullock » 10 Jul 2019, 05:14

Great story, Tex. I’ll tell mine tonight after work.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Re: The "How did you meet your SO" thread

Postby SethBullock » 10 Jul 2019, 11:58

When my wife was a teenager, her father thought he could make his fortune in CA, and so he moved to CA from Oregon. She did her high school years in Mountain View, CA. But as soon as my wife and her sister (one year older) had graduated, he moved back to Oregon. Being of age to choose, my wife and her sister chose to remain in CA.

Meanwhile, I served in the Army from 74-77. Before I got out, a friend of mine told me he would tell his boss about me and line up an interview. So in the first week after I was out, I had that interview, and, by the second week, I was working. Those two weeks are the only weeks of unemployment I've ever had since I was 17 years old.

Anyways, the job was in security at a department store in Mountain View. I think I was introduced to my wife on the day I went in for the interview. She was working in their credit office. She would later tell me that she thought I was "stuck up" because I stood straight up, and I was quiet.

My goal was to get hired on as a police officer, but this job would due for the time being.

So as time went on I had frequent interactions with my one-day wife. I thought she was awfully cute and funny, and I enjoyed the interaction enough to finally ask her out for a date. It was just to go to coffee after work. We talked for a long time, and the dating went on from there. About a year later I had gone through a long hiring process with the county Sheriff's Office, and they hired me.

Now having the career of my choice in sight, I asked her to marry me, and she accepted. In 1979, shortly after I completed the police academy, we were married.

I worked for that Sheriff's Office for about a year and a half. During that time, we drove up to Oregon to visit her parents, and I absolutely fell in love with the place. One thing led to another, and I ended up getting hired in a medium sized city in the beautiful Willamette Valley of Oregon. I started work there in 1980. I retired after 28 years in 2008. I still work part time.

We have two children, a boy and girl, and the boy is married with three children.

This August, my wife and I are going to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary by returning to our honeymoon location, Monterey, CA.

Seth
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Return to Off Topic