Mistake of Fact.

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Mistake of Fact.

Postby Aussie » 09 Jul 2019, 18:39

Section 24 of the Qld Criminal Code has always worked well. The final arbiter was the Jury. "Honest and reasonable" mistake of fact.

Looking for relevance in a dying Qld ALP Government, it's AG, never a Lawyer who practised in Criminal Law seeks to fuq what was never broken.

A Jury can decide on the issue. Was his belief in her consent 'honest and reasonable?'

Link.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: Mistake of Fact.

Postby Aussie » 09 Jul 2019, 18:45

This wanker:

D'Ath graduated from the Queensland University of Technology with a Bachelor of Laws, followed by a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Australian National University. After working in various clerical and hospitality positions, she was appointed an associate to the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission, serving between 1992 and 1994. She then became a senior industrial advocate for the Australian Workers' Union in Queensland.[1]

Never ever stood upright in a Criminal Court.

Far cough.

It ain't broke.

Sure, some victims might well feel abused by the Law, but if a bloke 'honestly and reasonably believes' consent has been given, why ought he fry?
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jul 2019, 23:23

why// ??

He HONESTLY believed... blah blah blah.

Now Aussie... that is the easiest out anyone got for a crime. OH I thought they wanted it.!! BULLSHIT.

More like, he couldn't care less, he wants his end away, and he'll have it.!!

I mean Aussie.. You can say oooh poor fella... but you have NO willingness to consider the alternative view.. which is responsibility. The idea of oh.... she was assaulted and raped... doesn't really enter your consciousness, does it.? You seem to indicate you are incapable of conceiving of a man fucking a drunk woman, 'cos he COULD. Unconscious?? doesn't matter. :mad

Of course, most blokes need a BIG REMEDIAL INTERVENTION, 'cos they think their NEEDS are ALL IMPORTANT.

I have to say AUSSIE... you disappoint me with your ingrained bias. Your posts over the years have consolidated this. You think women are the enemy..

Poor Fool.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Texan » 10 Jul 2019, 01:23

That's a 2 edged sword. An innocent man can be charged with a crime and have his life ruined over a woman's regret or a woman can have her life ruined over a reasonable doubt loophole. BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SLEEP WITH!

Sex can be a powerful weapon. When I was single and in the military, a female military member practically threw herself at me. I wasn't a bad looking guy, but fortunately, my spidey sense took over and I suspected something was not right. Sure enough, a couple of weeks later I found out that she was pregnant. She was looking for a baby daddy to pin her mistake on for child support. I didn't take the bait.

That was one reason I quit drinking. I'm a poor decision maker when I'm drunk and I almost slept with her. Now, I only drink at home with my wife and maybe a couple of neighbors. It's hard to make bad decisions at home and around good friends, at least big bad decisions.

The other reason I quit drinking was because I was madly in love with the future Mrs. Texan and I wanted to be more worthy of her and impress her family. Her parents were very conservative and did not drink whatsoever. My father in law was a Baptist deacon for almost 70 years before he passed earlier this year. He had his faults, but he had no lack for sobriety and wisdom.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 10 Jul 2019, 23:14

Texan wrote:That's a 2 edged sword. An innocent man can be charged with a crime and have his life ruined over a woman's regret or a woman can have her life ruined over a reasonable doubt loophole. BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SLEEP WITH!

Sex can be a powerful weapon. When I was single and in the military, a female military member practically threw herself at me. I wasn't a bad looking guy, but fortunately, my spidey sense took over and I suspected something was not right. Sure enough, a couple of weeks later I found out that she was pregnant. She was looking for a baby daddy to pin her mistake on for child support. I didn't take the bait.

That was one reason I quit drinking. I'm a poor decision maker when I'm drunk and I almost slept with her. Now, I only drink at home with my wife and maybe a couple of neighbors. It's hard to make bad decisions at home and around good friends, at least big bad decisions.

The other reason I quit drinking was because I was madly in love with the future Mrs. Texan and I wanted to be more worthy of her and impress her family. Her parents were very conservative and did not drink whatsoever. My father in law was a Baptist deacon for almost 70 years before he passed earlier this year. He had his faults, but he had no lack for sobriety and wisdom.

This is relevant? HOW?

We are discussing a particular matter, not a free for all .
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jul 2019, 07:18

pinky I think your comments to Texan are wrong and unwarranted...
First he said when alcohol is involved by his own personal accounts judgement can be altered, that goes to reason both sexes.
SO if a drunk man thinks consent has been given for sex . The drunk woman could of given consent and a sober man would realize it was the drink speaking … Depending on the man he could take advantage or help the woman...….
Really for any person if they get drunk and loose their judgement and someone takes them at face value who is to blame ?

If a drunk person offers someone their car and a person accepts the keys and takes the car, should that person goto jail for stealing a car because the person was drunk......

I think either gender if you drink so much you dont know what you are doing or saying in public you are asking for trouble....
Last edited by DonDeeHippy on 11 Jul 2019, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jul 2019, 07:27

I drink at home. No DUI offences. Much better.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 11 Jul 2019, 10:33

pinkeye wrote:why// ??

Now Aussie... that is the easiest out anyone got for a crime. OH I thought they wanted it.!! BULLSHIT.

I mean Aussie.. You can say oooh poor fella... but you have NO willingness to consider the alternative view.. which is responsibility. The idea of oh.... she was assaulted and raped... doesn't really enter your consciousness, does it.? You seem to indicate you are incapable of conceiving of a man fucking a drunk woman, 'cos he COULD. Unconscious?? doesn't matter. :mad

Of course, most blokes need a BIG REMEDIAL INTERVENTION, 'cos they think their NEEDS are ALL IMPORTANT.

I have to say AUSSIE... you disappoint me with your ingrained bias. Your posts over the years have consolidated this. You think women are the enemy..

Poor Fool.

There is nothing to consolidate. Section 24 of the Qld Criminal Code has been there for many many decades, and I never heard of it being abused or a Jury coming to any ridiculous conclusion in its application. It's fair enough. If the bloke honestly and reasonably believes (a Jury decision ~ something the Crown has to exclude beyond reasonable doubt) that consent had been given, why ought he fry?
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jul 2019, 23:42

DonDeeHippy wrote:pinky I think your comments to Texan are wrong and unwarranted...
First he said when alcohol is involved by his own personal accounts judgement can be altered, that goes to reason both sexes.
SO if a drunk man thinks consent has been given for sex . The drunk woman could of given consent and a sober man would realize it was the drink speaking … Depending on the man he could take advantage or help the woman...….
Really for any person if they get drunk and loose their judgement and someone takes them at face value who is to blame ?

If a drunk person offers someone their car and a person accepts the keys and takes the car, should that person goto jail for stealing a car because the person was drunk......

I think either gender if you drink so much you dont know what you are doing or saying in public you are asking for trouble....

I definitely AGREE with your last sentence.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jul 2019, 23:49

Aussie wrote:

Poor Fool.

There is nothing to consolidate. Section 24 of the Qld Criminal Code has been there for many many decades, and I never heard of it being abused or a Jury coming to any ridiculous conclusion in its application. It's fair enough. If the bloke honestly and reasonably believes (a Jury decision ~ something the Crown has to exclude beyond reasonable doubt) that consent had been given, why ought he fry?

And if the Bloke is DRUNK..? which I would suggest is a reasonable possibility in these circumstances.? What then? She isn't to blame, and HE isn't to blame....

Just one of those things eh?

Umm because, in the past, not only drunkeness,.. but also.. enraged beyond control because the victim said he was a bad fuck eg. .. have been used as defences against charges of MURDER, for too long a time, In Queensland.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 12 Jul 2019, 04:59

So, I am happy to hear that QLD will finally look at this in a reasoned fashion. ( NSW has apparently already started)

I expect objectivity, and impartiality, because only Qld and NSW ALLOW this as a defence against rape or sexual assault charges.
It seems consent can be assumed by a bloke, anytime at all. THAT is the crux....
Refer Lazarus... just ONE example of this bias .

No other states allow this.
A farcical aspect of criminal defence law which should be shut down, ASAP, IMHO.!

You seriously support this..? :WTF :huh :jump :OMG :read :S
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 12 Jul 2019, 07:29

pinkeye wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Poor Fool.

And if the Bloke is DRUNK..? which I would suggest is a reasonable possibility in these circumstances.? What then? She isn't to blame, and HE isn't to blame....

Umm because, in the past, not only drunkeness,.. but also.. enraged beyond control because the victim said he was a bad fuck eg. .. have been used as defences against charges of MURDER, for too long a time, In Queensland.

Being drunk isn’t a get out of jail free card or a valid excuse for either person, unless someone held them down and forced alcohol into them. Stupid people should earn stupid prizes.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 12 Jul 2019, 11:29

It is still the job of the Jury to make a determination as to whether in all the circumstances there was an honest and reasonable but mistaken belief in the existence of a "fact."

Being 'drunk' of itself is never a defence.
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 13 Jul 2019, 02:44

I don't think all judiciary are up to date on this.

The Justice who presided over my Supreme Court Trial is now working the I don't know.. Appeals Tribunal..?

The copper that charged me, and appeared at my trial to further his career, was later jailed for Obstruction of Justice, among other things.
NOT MY CASE. BUT it was to do with a Detective assaulting a female prisoner..
HE turned off the Video.
He got done.. thanks to the bravery of a young, FEMALE ROOKIE, who reported it. Well done.

:yahoo :yahoo

You have NO idea what Police and Courts actually do... it's only later.. after the harm.. that Justice MAY prevail. ( a general observation for the uninitiated)

Just like this issue. YOU think it's OK.. I don't. ( a specific remark on the position you hold).

It's simple. It is NOT OK.

Men may actually have to behave like reasonable responsible people.!! SHOCK HORROR.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 13 Jul 2019, 17:30

was there any reason for the change? Some case that was seen as an injustice perhaps?

if not, then it should have most likely been left alone.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 14 Jul 2019, 02:46

Aussie can enlighten you I'm sure.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 14 Jul 2019, 09:37

pinkeye wrote:Aussie can enlighten you I'm sure.

I have never seen anything which suggests Section 24 is broken.
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jul 2019, 12:35

Aussie wrote:
pinkeye wrote:Aussie can enlighten you I'm sure.

I have never seen anything which suggests Section 24 is broken.

then they should leave it be.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Off Topic