New stuff is much better than old stuff

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: New stuff is much better than old stuff

Postby pinkeye » 05 Jun 2019, 22:40

Sadly the lower planks are so deteriorated, I can poke holes in them with my finger. After a while, I'm choosing not to do that. :roll THE ONLY THING holding it together is the 3 layers of paint. :roll :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Jun 2019, 07:30

pinkeye wrote:I got an iron roof put on my wee cottage. :thumb

Don't let leaf build-up get to the ends, and gutters.. will last for decades.
I mean honestly..? Around where I live there are some real antique corro sheds etc. Very Australian. Picture material.

My compressed wooden cladding on externals is badly deteriorated... I want to recover in the necessary spots with corrugated iron.. BUT.. as ever money is a problem.. so ///

Not to worry. :bgrin

keep a eye out on the free stuff websites and gumtree, lots of people just giveaway their old roof, other wise they would have to pay someone to cart it to a tip...
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 07 Jun 2019, 18:26

DonDeeHippy wrote:keep a eye out on the free stuff websites and gumtree, lots of people just giveaway their old roof, other wise they would have to pay someone to cart it to a tip...

facebook marketplace is great for stuff like that. often builders or renovators with excess stuff just want someone to take it away.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 07 Jun 2019, 18:44

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:keep a eye out on the free stuff websites and gumtree, lots of people just giveaway their old roof, other wise they would have to pay someone to cart it to a tip...

facebook marketplace is great for stuff like that. often builders or renovators with excess stuff just want someone to take it away.

Scrapyards are full of crap like that! it looks very unappealing so,... you'll never find enough of the right stuff unless it's only a small amount you are specifically looking for!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 07 Jun 2019, 21:49

well I would only replace the lower compressed-wood planks (weathertex) ..with NEW Corro..all the upper planks are fine.

Seems the building regs at the time allowed flat fascia's which didn't protect the lower cladding...

No I suspect, the next owner will look at these issues, but it interests me to see the changes in laws etc over the years.

I'll never get to reclad my home. it's likel;y the next owner will knock it down... but HA HA.. MY SLAB is massive, for all it's diminuitive size. Good luck with that.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Previous

Return to Off Topic