New stuff is much better than old stuff

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

New stuff is much better than old stuff

Postby Sprintcyclist » 03 Jun 2019, 09:56

I often hear the phrase ' they don't make them like that anymore', ..............

Nah, new stuff is WAY better.

Sure, ' they don't make them like that anymore' because they would never sell them.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: New stuff is much better than old stuff

Postby johnsmith » 03 Jun 2019, 15:41

I don't agree.

I just changed my solar hot water tank which was 33 years old .... you think you'll get 33 yrs out of todays tanks?

Everything made today is made to be disposable. They don't want your tv to last 30 years, they want you to update as often as possible.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Jun 2019, 19:15

johnsmith wrote:I don't agree.

I just changed my solar hot water tank which was 33 years old .... you think you'll get 33 yrs out of todays tanks?

Everything made today is made to be disposable. They don't want your tv to last 30 years, they want you to update as often as possible.

Planned obsolescence is real, and manufacturers don't even try to hide it.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 03 Jun 2019, 19:21

greggerypeccary wrote:

have a customer who has an electronics business ... when i went there he had a dyson pulled apart and the motherboard plugged into his laptop. I asked what was wrong with it, he said he was trying to get around the coding ... apparently after a certain number of 'charges', the coding tricks the battery into thinking it's full so that it doesn't charge any more.... in the hope that you'll go out and buy a new one.

I must remember to ask him if he was successful the next time i go there.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Jun 2019, 19:50

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

have a customer who has an electronics business ... when i went there he had a dyson pulled apart and the motherboard plugged into his laptop. I asked what was wrong with it, he said he was trying to get around the coding ... apparently after a certain number of 'charges', the coding tricks the battery into thinking it's full so that it doesn't charge any more.... in the hope that you'll go out and buy a new one.

I must remember to ask him if he was successful the next time i go there.

Yep.

Lots of products have that sort of thing built in.

Five years is usually the limit for an electronic device.

They're designed to start failing after two years.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jun 2019, 20:13

In the 1980s I had a had a 50% interest in an 1880 bluestone villa. The roof on one side was corroded through so we had to replace the roofing iron. The old stuff we took off was three times the thickness of the new stuff. If they had made the roof out of one length instead of two overlapping (the corrosion and leaks was where the two sheets overlapped) lengths that roof would still be good today!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 04 Jun 2019, 07:38

yep, those are the typical comments.

Those 'old fridges/freezers' that are still going after X years that we have all seen ............
What about ALL the fridges that were bought 30 years ago but did not last ?
The ones you did not see, the ones that are gone.

Have you taken those into account ?
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Jun 2019, 08:21

I remember in 1986 everyone saying the new stuff was never as good as the old stuff then.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 04 Jun 2019, 08:36

DonDeeHippy wrote:

I remember in 1986 everyone saying the new stuff was never as good as the old stuff then.... :purple

yes
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Jun 2019, 09:20

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 04 Jun 2019, 14:58

DonDeeHippy wrote:

it was .... Planned obsolescence is getting worse, not better

Sprintcyclist wrote:What about ALL the fridges that were bought 30 years ago but did not last ?

no one is saying that all of the old stuff was great .. overall, i think it was better built.

Do you really think you'll see fridges etc you buy today still working in 30 yrs time? I doubt it .
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 04 Jun 2019, 16:00

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

Sprintcyclist wrote:What about ALL the fridges that were bought 30 years ago but did not last ?

no one is saying that all of the old stuff was great .. overall, i think it was better built.

Do you really think you'll see fridges etc you buy today still working in 30 yrs time? I doubt it .

new fridges use half the power and cost hundreds of dollars less to run each year, u might have a old fridge that's 30 years old but it's costing you the price of a new fridge in extra electricity every few years.....
Again you get what you pay for.... no reason a well made fridge today wont last 30 years, just like one from the 80's did.

The 80's wasn't a time that was known for well built stuff.... do you see many 80's cars on the road, the throwaway trend had already started.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 04 Jun 2019, 16:07

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

I mostly agree, but to statistically prove such a thing you would have to separate from the very real and confounding idea that people were much more careful with their assets.

Lies, damned lies and statistics... it's all very hard to actually prove! :tweed
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 04 Jun 2019, 16:49

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

Some of them, yes.

Our fridge is about 8 years old. Never a noise from it.

The last one was running fine, it was well over 10 years old when we dumped it.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 04 Jun 2019, 17:55

Sprintcyclist wrote:Some of them, yes.

i doubt it. Even if we ignore the quality for a moment, these days all the computer chips in everything means todays technology will be incompatible with the technology they'll have in 30 years time, and the damn things won't work.

My fridge, a Westinghouse, is 9 years old, works great (replaced fan about 6 months ago) .... the one before that, a Samsung, had a 12 month warranty ... on the 13th month the motor in it blew. I was told it would cost more to fix than replace. I refuse to buy Samsung white goods ever again. I bought Westinghouse because about 3 different repairmen all told me that Westinghouse was the brand they get called out for the least (Fisher and Paykel were the most call outs). I still don't think my fridge will be here in another 22 years.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 04 Jun 2019, 19:52

johnsmith wrote:

i doubt it. Even if we ignore the quality for a moment, these days all the computer chips in everything means todays technology will be incompatible with the technology they'll have in 30 years time, and the damn things won't work.

My fridge, a Westinghouse, is 9 years old, works great (replaced fan about 6 months ago) .... the one before that, a Samsung, had a 12 month warranty ... on the 13th month the motor in it blew. I was told it would cost more to fix than replace. I refuse to buy Samsung white goods ever again. I bought Westinghouse because about 3 different repairmen all told me that Westinghouse .
was the brand they get called out for the least (Fisher and Paykel were the most call outs). I still don't think my fridge will be here in another 22 years.

Yes, I think better to buy goods the company is renowned for.

Samsung for phones, tablets.
Westinghouse, kelvinator, for fridges.

Toyota, mazda or honda for a car.

'computers' have been in cars for decades, they have made cars much more reliable.
I see little problems with a computer in various electrical goods.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 04 Jun 2019, 21:45

johnsmith wrote:

My fridge, a Westinghouse, is 9 years old, works great (replaced fan about 6 months ago) .... the one before that, a Samsung, had a 12 month warranty ... on the 13th month the motor in it blew. I was told it would cost more to fix than replace. I refuse to buy Samsung white goods ever again. I bought Westinghouse because about 3 different repairmen all told me that Westinghouse was the brand they get called out for the least (Fisher and Paykel were the most call outs). I still don't think my fridge will be here in another 22 years.

well as I commented earlier my fridge was first put in place in 1989,, say 1990.. it's still going .. and yes it is likely expensive to run. .Cost $1000 back then.

I'll only toss it when it stops working.

It's a Westinghouse.

And my house is on rain water tanks and septic sewerage, both requiring pumps.

Again, I don't want to jinx myself, but my house pump is the original.. 1989/90.

It's an Onga. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 05 Jun 2019, 07:03

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

well as I commented earlier my fridge was first put in place in 1989,, say 1990.. it's still going .. and yes it is likely expensive to run. .Cost $1000 back then.

I'll only toss it when it stops working.

It's a Westinghouse.

And my house is on rain water tanks and septic sewerage, both requiring pumps.

Again, I don't want to jinx myself, but my house pump is the original.. 1989/90.

It's an Onga. :thumb

Yes, westinghouse and Onga have very good names, very good reputations.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Jun 2019, 08:32

what's the use of having a old fridge that can go for 30-40 years when it uses more electricity in 4-5 years than a new one running and doing the same work ?
If i buy a fridge now and it lasts 10 years or keep a old one say 10 years old, at the end of that time i would be paying $1000 more in electricity and not have a new fridge....

If a fridge lasts 10 years, what will change so it doesn't last 20 years or even 30 years.... Normally if a item is going to break down it will do it pretty fast (for me about a month after the warrantee expires). :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jun 2019, 10:20

Heh, in my Stats class we did demographics of populations that didn’t increase, tyres or fridges etc made in a year, not human or animal etc populations. Lots of problems we tackled was about lifetimes of the items and when a warranty should expire—they aren’t offered for certain amounts of time for nothing!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 05 Jun 2019, 12:32

Colorbond roofing - someone was saying how the old roofing was thicker, but it rusted due to the overlap.

well, nowadays, it is cut to length so there is no overlap.

Also .........

..........5 Layers of Protection
The steel base is manufactured to meet relevant Australian Standards, ensuring strict adherence to the required grade and strength.
The base is then coated in BlueScope’s industry-leading metallic coating incorporating Activate® technology1, to provide enhanced corrosion resistance.
A thin pre-treatment layer is applied to optimise the adhesion of further coatings.
A corrosion inhibitive primer is baked onto the surface.
A topcoat of specially developed, exterior grade paint with Thermatech® solar reflectance technology2 is baked on to provide resistance to chipping, flaking and blistering and to ensure the finish retains its look for longer.

Activate® Technology
Activate® technology, is BlueScope's industry leading, patented, metallic coating technology1.

The unique composition and microstructure of the aluminium / zinc / magnesium alloy coating (AM) was developed for improved corrosion resistance compared to aluminium / zinc alloy coating (AZ), and acts in three ways:

activate technology
Magnesium, aluminium and zinc compounds are strategically positioned in the coating to provide sacrificial protection.
Magnesium compounds encourage the formation of a more robust barrier, slowing the rate of subsequent corrosion.
Magnesium compounds also 'activate' the metal coating resulting in more effective, longer-lasting sacrificial protection.
Thermatech® Solar Reflectance technology
Thermatech® solar reflectanceCOLORBOND® steel with Thermatech® solar reflectance technology2, provides Australia’s property owners, architects, builders and developers with colour choices that reflect more of the sun’s heat on hot, sunny days.

Thermatech® technology is designed to increase the solar reflectance properties of COLORBOND® steel and is available in 21 of the roofing and walling colours2 as well as all of the standard colours for COLORBOND® Ultra steel and COLORBOND® steel Matt.

It's widely known that lighter colours are better at reflecting heat. With Thermatech® solar reflectance technology, even the darker colours in the COLORBOND® steel range have solar reflective properties which may help to keep your building stay cooler2.......

https://stramit.steelselect.com.au/articles/colorbond-steel-5-layers-protection

bet all that was not used '30 years ago'
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jun 2019, 16:50

Course we had colorbond back then. Problem with colorbond: it gets damaged, e.g. by a cricket ball landing on it, hard to paint it to look good.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Jun 2019, 16:53

HBS Guy wrote:Course we had colorbond back then. Problem with colorbond: it gets damaged, e.g. by a cricket ball landing on it, hard to paint it to look good.

SO was colourbond 30 years ago.... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 05 Jun 2019, 21:46

I got an iron roof put on my wee cottage. :thumb

Don't let leaf build-up get to the ends, and gutters.. will last for decades.
I mean honestly..? Around where I live there are some real antique corro sheds etc. Very Australian. Picture material.

My compressed wooden cladding on externals is badly deteriorated... I want to recover in the necessary spots with corrugated iron.. BUT.. as ever money is a problem.. so ///

Not to worry. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 05 Jun 2019, 22:17

pinkeye wrote:I got an iron roof put on my wee cottage. :thumb

Don't let leaf build-up get to the ends, and gutters.. will last for decades.
I mean honestly..? Around where I live there are some real antique corro sheds etc. Very Australian. Picture material.

My compressed wooden cladding on externals is badly deteriorated... I want to recover in the necessary spots with corrugated iron.. BUT.. as ever money is a problem.. so ///

Not to worry. :bgrin

good work

A coat of paint might help your compressed wood cladding.
At least it is cheap to do, easy, looks nice .
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Next

Return to Off Topic