Things That Make Me Smile

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Things That Make Me Smile

Postby pinkeye » 16 Jul 2019, 00:44

I saw a new bird yesterday.!! First I heard it call. Hmmm? that's different.!! It was close. I was walking the dog around the block, and one property is owned by crazy Aussie Plants people :bgrin :thumb .. so I heard this call.

. so stopped and listened.. stayed still.. then I saw it. I think it was a female Bower Bird, BUT, I'll have to look it up.. didn't get a long look but the call was distinctive. :bgrin

Then today, I noticed something which turned out to be a very hairy and decorated caterpillar. Those hairs would sting, for sure, but it wasn't the Cedar Moth grub. I got a (poor) picture of it. :bgrin

These things make me smile.

AND, yesterday I tossed out a quarter of an Iceberg lettuce.. didn't eat it all..some other vege scraps... also an old core of cabbage.I try not to waste food, but sometimes.............

Anyway, I watched as my dog sussed it all out.. then triumphantly emerged with the old lettuce.

She tore off the outer pieces and then proceeded to have a good old time eating the heart of the lettuce. :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2019, 10:19

Dogs do love crunchy juicy veg, don’t they? I put the tops of capsicums in her bowl and she hoes in. Only undesirable part is finding the green stem bit on the carpet etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 16 Jul 2019, 13:23

HBS Guy wrote:Dogs do love crunchy juicy veg, don’t they? I put the tops of capsicums in her bowl and she hoes in. Only undesirable part is finding the green stem bit on the carpet etc.

Wow, didn't know that: I think my chihuahua(my brothers really, but now it's mum and dads dog) ate half an olive once?

I suppose crunchy vegies can't be bad for dogs?!!? (..because apparently everything I know that the dog likes my parents reckon I'm not allowed to give him... :roll )
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2019, 13:28

Cant see how they can be bad for them.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 16 Jul 2019, 13:31

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:Sounds like a good argument to let those south of the border....in.

:bike

We take in about 1,000,000 legal immigrants every year.

But a dearth of workers drives wages up, and that's a good thing. A glut of workers holds wages down.

No Aussie, allowing South America to just move here illegally by the untold millions is not the answer.

It's not just the pure numbers: it's also the fact they are unskilled,... lowering the skill base of your country as a whole... which also ends up keeping wages pitifully low aka A RACE TO THE BOTTOM. It is in fact why people let it happen because there's always a little bit of dodgy SHORTERM-GAIN THINKING going on in any marketplace.... system corrupts man they say :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 16 Jul 2019, 13:32

HBS Guy wrote:Cant see how they can be bad for them.

Alright: Leo's gonna love me forever now :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
Last edited by Bongalong on 16 Jul 2019, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2019, 15:42

Different dogs will like different things—my mutt won’t touch tomato or mushroom when they are raw but will cooked.

Do NOT give your dog cooked white beans unless it sleeps outside or in the laundry etc. :OMG my dog stank like 3 overfull sewers after stealing the uneaten part of my veal and white bean stew, faaaaaaark!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 16 Jul 2019, 16:07

HBS Guy wrote:Different dogs will like different things—my mutt won’t touch tomato or mushroom when they are raw but will cooked.

Do NOT give your dog cooked white beans unless it sleeps outside or in the laundry etc. :OMG my dog stank like 3 overfull sewers after stealing the uneaten part of my veal and white bean stew, faaaaaaark!

Yeh, alright I'm writing that down as we speak :bgrin :rofl
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 16 Jul 2019, 22:53

Turns out, upon checking, it was the CABBAGE core she ate.! :bgrin The lettuce is still sitting there. :bgrin

She eats cauliflower stalks as well. She also eats chilli. :bgrin ( left overs)

Umm but never give your dog onions, ( a little OK with a big dog like mine ie left over curries etc) :bgrin

And apparently no grapes, sultanas, etc. Just learned that recently.

And of course.. NO CHOCOLATE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2019, 23:22

I know no chocolate. Bitch did steal and eat most of a packet of Arnott’s mint slice. Luckily hardly any chocolate in these “chocolate & mint biscuits” eh? She did look a tad internally preoccupied at obedience training that morning :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 17 Jul 2019, 12:26

pinkeye wrote:Turns out, upon checking, it was the CABBAGE core she ate.! :bgrin The lettuce is still sitting there. :bgrin

She eats cauliflower stalks as well. She also eats chilli. :bgrin ( left overs)

Umm but never give your dog onions, ( a little OK with a big dog like mine ie left over curries etc) :bgrin

And apparently no grapes, sultanas, etc. Just learned that recently.

And of course.. NO CHOCOLATE.

No grapes and sultanas?

I think Dr Harry said spicy food is not for them either.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jul 2019, 16:44

No almonds either—never did my mutt any harm.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 17 Jul 2019, 20:09

HBS Guy wrote:No almonds either—never did my mutt any harm.

I reckons almonds are fine but my dad frowns at me.... so i bite them into thirds before I give them to him: does that make me a bad person? :yellow :yellow :yellow :yellow :b
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 17 Jul 2019, 20:11

..wait, I maybe misuderstood your post: you were saying almonds infact ARE BAD FOR DOGS ?????
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jul 2019, 05:20

Apparently so. I didn’t know that and used to give the mutt the almonds out of my packet of trailmix when doing some of our longer walks. Didn’t seem to do her any harm that I can see.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 18 Jul 2019, 06:11

I smile at vegans deciding their dogs are as well, human arrogance always makes me smile.... Although I do worry about the poor little carnivores having to eat like rabbits, cant be good for them... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jul 2019, 07:21

Yeah, raw meat is what their teeth and guts need. Bit of veg OK, all veg, nah.

I do not cook the dog’s meat. I never feed it lamb—tapeworm has sheep ==> dogs as part of its lifecycle. If all I have is lamb—I cook it.

I buy cheap tins of sardines in vege oil for her, gets that occasionally (yes, I realise that is cooked) and she will get a raw beef bone today.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jul 2019, 17:05

HBS Guy wrote:Apparently so. I didn’t know that and used to give the mutt the almonds out of my packet of trailmix when doing some of our longer walks. Didn’t seem to do her any harm that I can see.

Yeh, I only go round there once in a blue moon so it's probably ok... :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jul 2019, 17:08

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, raw meat is what their teeth and guts need. Bit of veg OK, all veg, nah.

I do not cook the dog’s meat. I never feed it lamb—tapeworm has sheep ==> dogs as part of its lifecycle. If all I have is lamb—I cook it.

I buy cheap tins of sardines in vege oil for her, gets that occasionally (yes, I realise that is cooked) and she will get a raw beef bone today.

I've never seen anything destroy bones in front of your eyes like a labrador: just saying !!!!! :bgrin :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 18 Jul 2019, 18:19

Don't forget, dogs need to chew. Make sure you supplement their diet with either dry kibble daily, or big bones for them to gnaw on.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jul 2019, 18:39

johnsmith wrote:Don't forget, dogs need to chew. Make sure you supplement their diet with either dry kibble daily, or big bones for them to gnaw on.

Maybe that's why they love the almonds... he also loves pistachios.... too much in my opinion because I want some!

:yellow :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 18 Jul 2019, 18:41

But by jebus he loves cheese: i think he's smart enough to know almonds aren't coming out of the fridge but if i go near it the whole house knows what i've done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He does somersaults I'm tell'ng ya!

(Ya know, the sideways ones lol :beer :beer :beer :beer )
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Previous

Return to Off Topic