Got a SatNav/GPS?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Got a SatNav/GPS?

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Apr 2019, 17:13

The GPS rollover that will take place this weekend is unlikely to affect many people as most modern GPS receivers are compliant with the latest system specifications, the founder and chief executive of LiveViewGPS, a company that sells tracking systems, says.

I checked my TomTom620 a couple weeks back, no probs. If you haven’t, esp if you have an older SatNav maybe check ASAP.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Got a SatNav/GPS?

Postby Texan » 06 Apr 2019, 06:57

I use my Maps app on my iphone. It's constantly updated and flies with me for use in rental cars. I have a windshield mounted magnetic mount to display my phone when I'm driving. I wonder if my old Garmin still works?
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Apr 2019, 09:55

I like my TomTom. Sis uses her phone on some sort of mount but I like the TomTom because it has a bigger screen than my iPhone. Also not having the phone prominently displayed means I am not tempted to use it while driving.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Apr 2019, 17:20

Texan wrote: I wonder if my old Garmin still works?

I had an old one that I had thrown in a drawer about ten years prior. Several months ago I stumbled across it when unpacking (I moved house last year) so I hooked it up to the laptop and tried to update the maps. It ran out of memory before it was even a quarter of the way through .. I had to bin it.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 20:03

I use maps.... you know Maps.?

Printed on paper. Have never had a GPS/Nav system. I like to know where I'm going, before i get there.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Apr 2019, 20:15

Yes, good idea to check your route beforehand. A decent SatNav, tho, is great.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2019, 20:46

I seem to not like that stuff..

tech nav/ ? I'd rather use my own brain tbah
( to be absolutely honest) :bgrin

It is lazy and also promotes the reliance on external props...guess I'm a Luddite. :bgrin

All though
seeing as
I am HERE
I guess I am a
Neo-Luddite.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 07 Apr 2019, 06:03

Had a gps sat nav, threw it out and use my mind. Go to google earth find where I'm going, to then memorise the route and that's it carry a map but rarely use them. The number of people crashing and getting lost using sat navs is large and they are incapable or reading maps or even dete4rmining direction outside their urban squalor.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Apr 2019, 06:11

I have ZERO sense of direction (inherited that from my mother) and the SatNav also warns me if I am speeding, warns of red light cameras ahead and also warns ahead of time of roadworks, how long a delay and of routes around the hold up. Because of my TomTom I did not get any speeding tickets on my trip last year—Vic is tricky with freeways ending before restarting again, heaven for speeding cameras.

A car is not exactly natural either. . .

I use Google maps too, know where the public toilets are along the route, parks and reserves I can walk the dog and so on, have “driven” the parts of the route through towns and the bit in Melbourne where the Western Freeway merges into the Western Ring Route which merges onto the M1/Westgate Freeway.

Using the Mazda’s built–in SatNav in 2016, first visit to Tasmania, I learned you still have to work out the route using maps first. The TomTom is better but you can’t just blindly rely on it. I now use both: the built in satnav to show me what is coming up in the near distance and the TomTom for the immediate area. Works well—tho I hope the built-in satnav survives the rollover!

I know that after the merge onto the M80 I need to move to the second left lane to avoid being forced to take the Boundary Rd exit and that if that happened that I could get back onto the M80 again.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 07 Apr 2019, 09:11

Dax wrote:Had a gps sat nav, threw it out and use my mind. Go to google earth find where I'm going, to then memorise the route and that's it carry a map but rarely use them. The number of people crashing and getting lost using sat navs is large and they are incapable or reading maps or even dete4rmining direction outside their urban squalor.

Back in the day, I used maps. It forced me to learn my orientation and memorize my route and basic city layouts. Most cities have major highways going North and South and at least one Loop that circles the city. I would memorize those. The first thing I would do when leaving the airport of a strange city is go to a gas station and buy a map, memorize my route, and drive to my job using street signs and the Sun. I'm as guilty as the next guy of following the blue line on my phone navigation, but I have already learned most major cities, so the navigation is for the small streets. Half of my job is finding the jobsites.

My oldest son is very intelligent, but he is directionally challenged. Sometimes, I can get through Wichita KS faster than he can and he has lived there for 5 years.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 07 Apr 2019, 21:24

I did a lot of long distance in the early 2000s -2006. I drove the entire depth of the state of NSW, going north to mid-south and back again, and I travelled it as many different ways as I could, It required an overnight stay , and I travelled with at least one dog at all times. Saw some amazing country. Stayed at some interesting places, travelled only with my maps.. paper.. No smart phone either.

My old Fairlane was stock-standard, and boy we did some miles. Sometimes the going got a touch hairy, but , I trusted myself and my car, and don't regret a single mile. Always got where I was going.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Apr 2019, 09:06

pinkeye wrote:I use maps.... you know Maps.?

Printed on paper. Have never had a GPS/Nav system. I like to know where I'm going, before i get there.

Same here.

I still use the old UBD Street Directory.

I got into an Uber once, and the driver admitted to us that the only way she could find an address was by following the Sat/Nav.

Just before we arrived at our destination, she took a wrong turn.

We told her she was going the wrong way, and she said "I have to follow the Sat/Nav - it's the only way I know how to drive".

The place we were going to was 50mtrs on the right, yet she turned left (as that's what the GPS told her to do).

she was so focused on the GPS screen that we almost had two accidents.

If the GPS told her to "Go straight ahead for 200 mtrs", she'd do exactly that without stopping at stop signs or give way signs.

"The GPS told me to keep going for 200mtrs". She never took her eyes off the screen.

We ended up telling her to stop the car, and we got out and walked back.

Give me a paper map any day.

I open the page, take a look at the route, commit it to memory, and I'm on my way.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Dax » 08 Apr 2019, 11:32

pinkeye wrote:I did a lot of long distance in the early 2000s -2006. I drove the entire depth of the state of NSW, going north to mid-south and back again, and I travelled it as many different ways as I could, It required an overnight stay , and I travelled with at least one dog at all times. Saw some amazing country. Stayed at some interesting places, travelled only with my maps.. paper.. No smart phone either.

My old Fairlane was stock-standard, and boy we did some miles. Sometimes the going got a touch hairy, but , I trusted myself and my car, and don't regret a single mile. Always got where I was going.

Travel Aus all the time, there's also a thing called road signs. Do use google earth a lot as it not only gives me maps, but the satellite images allowing me to see what the route and address is like. So it's easy to memorise landmarks and buildings, which makes it easy to get to where you're going. I'm lucky to have a reasonable photographic memory so there are very few places I haven't been and can recall them all in detail when travelling.

Currently putting more plants inside my home, mostly food plants and been driving round Tas getting the ones I want when they come up on gumtree. Look up the address on google earth, memorise the route and what it looks like and off I go on another adventure, Got dwarf blueberries, dwarf mulberries, potted fejoa, tamorila, coffee tree, monstera, cherry tomatoes silver beet, chillies and avocado's I'm dwarfing from my travels to go with all the other plants inside.

Haven't been able to fins an up to date street directory in Tas, last one was before 2010.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Apr 2019, 11:43

Dax wrote:
pinkeye wrote:I did a lot of long distance in the early 2000s -2006. I drove the entire depth of the state of NSW, going north to mid-south and back again, and I travelled it as many different ways as I could, It required an overnight stay , and I travelled with at least one dog at all times. Saw some amazing country. Stayed at some interesting places, travelled only with my maps.. paper.. No smart phone either.

Travel Aus all the time, there's also a thing called road signs. Do use google earth a lot as it not only gives me maps, but the satellite images allowing me to see what the route and address is like. So it's easy to memorise landmarks and buildings, which makes it easy to get to where you're going. I'm lucky to have a reasonable photographic memory so there are very few places I haven't been and can recall them all in detail when travelling.

Currently putting more plants inside my home, mostly food plants and been driving round Tas getting the ones I want when they come up on gumtree. Look up the address on google earth, memorise the route and what it looks like and off I go on another adventure, Got dwarf blueberries, dwarf mulberries, potted fejoa, tamorila, coffee tree, monstera, cherry tomatoes silver beet, chillies and avocado's I'm dwarfing from my travels to go with all the other plants inside.

Haven't been able to fins an up to date street directory in Tas, last one was before 2010.

This one was updated in March 2018.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/tasmania-street-directory-ubd-gregory-s/prod9780731931293.html
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Dax » 08 Apr 2019, 12:08

greggerypeccary wrote:
Dax wrote:

This one was updated in March 2018.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/tasmania-street-directory-ubd-gregory-s/prod9780731931293.html

That's good, still have some old directories in the car and bus, but got used to using googles earth and even used it in my overseas travels, you can see what the area is like that you are going into with the sat image. Have thought twice about going to some places when checking them on sat google earth, which resulted in a bit more research and a couple of times changing my mind, which turned out was the best decision.

Travel on commercial shipping when going overseas, so get to places most never do and some of those places are pretty rough and dangerous. Doing a good check before venturing off the ship is always worth the effort and google earth helps construct the research parameters for me. The ships crew is always good for advise and also as companions in checking the places out that are a bit sus for safety, they always know what to do and where to go to get the best experience. Had some pretty good times with ships crew ashore and some hairy ones.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2019, 15:37

In 1986 I proceeded through an intersection on the green light, got hit by a car driven at high speed through a red light. A “sort of a witness” meant I got lumbered as going through a redlight, speeding etc. Cost me $3000 damages and $380 in fines. And a nearly a year out of my tree.

Had a dashcam fitted to my car today. Not gonna get blamed again for an accident I did not cause! Fuck that!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Apr 2019, 22:43

greggerypeccary wrote:

Same here.

I got into an Uber once, and the driver admitted to us that the only way she could find an address was by following the Sat/Nav.

We told her she was going the wrong way, and she said "I have to follow the Sat/Nav - it's the only way I know how to drive".

The place we were going to was 50mtrs on the right, yet she turned left (as that's what the GPS told her to do).

If the GPS told her to "Go straight ahead for 200 mtrs", she'd do exactly that without stopping at stop signs or give way signs.

"The GPS told me to keep going for 200mtrs". She never took her eyes off the screen.

I open the page, take a look at the route, commit it to memory, and I'm on my way.

Too right. Don't listen to the voices. :roll I have been in an Uber once, courtesy of a friend, and the driver managed to get it wrong.. even tho my friend had lived in the area for at least 10 yrs. I once accepted a downloaded and printed-on-paper e map of some guide, and that was enought to put me off it permanently. . Who needs that?

Nah.. I like to KNOW where I'm going... :roll :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Apr 2019, 12:39

pinkeye wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Same here.

Too right. Don't listen to the voices. :roll I have been in an Uber once, courtesy of a friend, and the driver managed to get it wrong.. even tho my friend had lived in the area for at least 10 yrs. I once accepted a downloaded and printed-on-paper e map of some guide, and that was enought to put me off it permanently. . Who needs that?

Nah.. I like to KNOW where I'm going... :roll :roll

It's amazing how many people there are today who can't drive without a Sat/Nav.

Especially Uber drivers.

I've been in a lot of Ubers, and not one of them has ever known how to get to my destination without turning on the GPS.

Bizarre :?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 10 Apr 2019, 14:28

greggerypeccary wrote:It's amazing how many people there are today who can't drive without a Sat/Nav.

Especially Uber drivers.

I've been in a lot of Ubers, and not one of them has ever known how to get to my destination without turning on the GPS.

that;s because people become reliant on them. Where once you HAD to learn the route, not you just punch it into your GPS and bingo, away you go.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 10 Apr 2019, 14:32

i have the GPS in the van on, although I rarely use it. For me it's more about finding a property number that doesn't follow a logical sequence, or on rural lots when they don't have house numbers on the mail boxes, the GPS will take me to the correct number.
The freaky thing about my GPS is that every morning, when I drive to work, it directs me, and every afternoon , when I drive home, it does the same again. It never does it when I take the van out on weekends .... the thing is, I have never asked it to direct me, it does it automatically ....

i think Mr Tomtom is spying on me. :OMG :OMG
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 10 Apr 2019, 14:55

Especially Uber drivers.

Fucker!!!!

:up
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Apr 2019, 14:58

Aussie wrote:
Especially Uber drivers.

Fucker!!!!

:up

My friends all have Uber accounts, and I travel with them to pubs and restaurants etc.

They've installed the app on my phone but I've never actually used it.

So, I'm not officially an Uber customer.

:bgrin
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Apr 2019, 16:16

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:It's amazing how many people there are today who can't drive without a Sat/Nav.

Especially Uber drivers.

that;s because people become reliant on them. Where once you HAD to learn the route, not you just punch it into your GPS and bingo, away you go.

Pedestrians, too.

I see them in the city all the time, walking along with their heads down following the route on their Google Maps to the nearest Myer, or McDonald's.

Jesus, people! :roll
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Apr 2019, 17:11

While waiting for my dashcam to be installed yesterday I asked if they had car vacuum cleaners, my big vacuum cleaner too big.

Bought a 12V vacuum, $40. Tried it out just now, works fine.

Of course, now I will hear stories about how a real car owner licks car clean wi’ tongue after getting up half an hour before getting into bed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 10 Apr 2019, 17:33

HBS Guy wrote:While waiting for my dashcam to be installed yesterday I asked if they had car vacuum cleaners, my big vacuum cleaner too big.

Bought a 12V vacuum, $40. Tried it out just now, works fine.

Of course, now I will hear stories about how a real car owner licks car clean wi’ tongue after getting up half an hour before getting into bed.

Car?

I sometimes hang awake at night dreaming of having a a car.

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Next

Return to Off Topic