New laws re social media

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

New laws re social media

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Apr 2019, 09:25

Broad-brush laws rammed through Australian Senate.
Australia is a step away from rushing in new laws that criminalise internet, hosting and content providers that don’t identify and remove “abhorrent” video, audio and still images fast enough for law enforcement’s liking.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/govt-expands-socmed-crackdown-laws-including-jail-time-to-internet-content-and-hosting-providers-523352

So don’t post that shit here. I doubt the laws apply to owners of forums like this but I will be delete first ask questions later.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: New laws re social media

Postby Bongalong » 04 Apr 2019, 16:53

If you delete, then get proven wrong... does the comment then reappear?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Sprintcyclist » 04 Apr 2019, 17:25

HBS Guy wrote:
Broad-brush laws rammed through Australian Senate.
Australia is a step away from rushing in new laws that criminalise internet, hosting and content providers that don’t identify and remove “abhorrent” video, audio and still images fast enough for law enforcement’s liking.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/govt-expands-socmed-crackdown-laws-including-jail-time-to-internet-content-and-hosting-providers-523352

So don’t post that shit here. I doubt the laws apply to owners of forums like this but I will be delete first ask questions later.

Good idea
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 05 Apr 2019, 00:33

It seems this vote buying move by the LNP is being lambasted for it's unworkability. NO WAY can these so-called Laws ever work. Just a cynical example of electioneering. NOTHING ELSE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Apr 2019, 05:03

ohh no not “abhorrent” yeah delete that shit :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby UnSubRocky » 02 Jun 2019, 03:57

I watched horrific videos of beheadings and various other sick gore topics. I was a bit horrified when I first saw the beheading of an American hostage. But, I think I am mature enough to expect this as a reality of some societies.

Why not just allow these videos to be shown on certain websites, with the requirement that the websites show warnings before people access the content? The wowsers can step out and get a life, whilst we rationalise how to counter the sick individuals who cause these barbaric crimes.
UnSubRocky
Kitten

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jun 2019, 13:22

Yeah, post a URL, not using YouTube tags, to something but include a clear WARNING: of what the link contains. I am then not hosting the content.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DreamRyderX » 27 Jun 2019, 12:54

pinkeye wrote:It seems this vote buying move by the LNP is being lambasted for it's unworkability. NO WAY can these so-called Laws ever work. Just a cynical example of electioneering. NOTHING ELSE.

I agree.....how can it work?
Never water yerself down just because someone might not be able ta handle ya at "190 Proof"
DreamRyderX
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Jun 2019, 13:17

DreamRyderX wrote:
pinkeye wrote:It seems this vote buying move by the LNP is being lambasted for it's unworkability. NO WAY can these so-called Laws ever work. Just a cynical example of electioneering. NOTHING ELSE.

I agree.....how can it work?

The public report abhorrent content.

The authorities ask the host to remove it.

If they don't, they're punished.

Simples.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Return to Off Topic