New laws re social media

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

New laws re social media

Post by HBS Guy »

Broad-brush laws rammed through Australian Senate.
Australia is a step away from rushing in new laws that criminalise internet, hosting and content providers that don’t identify and remove “abhorrent” video, audio and still images fast enough for law enforcement’s liking.
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/govt-exp ... ers-523352

So don’t post that shit here. I doubt the laws apply to owners of forums like this but I will be delete first ask questions later.

Bongalong
Warthog
spamone: Animal

Re: New laws re social media

Post by Bongalong »

If you delete, then get proven wrong... does the comment then reappear?
"Oi!"

Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Post by Sprintcyclist »

HBS Guy wrote:
Broad-brush laws rammed through Australian Senate.
Australia is a step away from rushing in new laws that criminalise internet, hosting and content providers that don’t identify and remove “abhorrent” video, audio and still images fast enough for law enforcement’s liking.
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/govt-exp ... ers-523352

So don’t post that shit here. I doubt the laws apply to owners of forums like this but I will be delete first ask questions later.
Good idea

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

It seems this vote buying move by the LNP is being lambasted for it's unworkability. NO WAY can these so-called Laws ever work. Just a cynical example of electioneering. NOTHING ELSE.
sleeping is good for you

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

ohh no not “abhorrent” yeah delete that shit :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

UnSubRocky
Kitten

Post by UnSubRocky »

I watched horrific videos of beheadings and various other sick gore topics. I was a bit horrified when I first saw the beheading of an American hostage. But, I think I am mature enough to expect this as a reality of some societies.

Why not just allow these videos to be shown on certain websites, with the requirement that the websites show warnings before people access the content? The wowsers can step out and get a life, whilst we rationalise how to counter the sick individuals who cause these barbaric crimes.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Yeah, post a URL, not using YouTube tags, to something but include a clear WARNING: of what the link contains. I am then not hosting the content.

DreamRyderX
Irish wolfhound

Post by DreamRyderX »

pinkeye wrote:It seems this vote buying move by the LNP is being lambasted for it's unworkability. NO WAY can these so-called Laws ever work. Just a cynical example of electioneering. NOTHING ELSE.
I agree.....how can it work?
..................................................In a Time of Universal Deceit - Telling the Truth is a Revolutionary Act

greggerypeccary
Rhinocerus

Post by greggerypeccary »

DreamRyderX wrote:
pinkeye wrote:It seems this vote buying move by the LNP is being lambasted for it's unworkability. NO WAY can these so-called Laws ever work. Just a cynical example of electioneering. NOTHING ELSE.
I agree.....how can it work?
The public report abhorrent content.

The authorities ask the host to remove it.

If they don't, they're punished.

Simples.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

There was a significant Court decision in QLD yesterday .
I am not saying I have all the facts BUT...

A School Principal at a School not far from here, sued several parents (of her School students)…. for comments they made on the internet. These comments were stark and clear, really lambasting the Principal .

I think there were about 6 people involved on the Respondents side, maybe more. . Some settled, one was held unaccountable, and 2 parents were held to be liable for damages against this person. They dug in their heels and went to Court. The decision was clear.

This couple would not accept this decision. I wonder if they will try to appeal. :roll

They were ordered to pay 3000x2 . The husband had smashed in her door, and the wife was still virulent , even after she was held to be guilty. They lost all their possessions to legal costs in defending their comments.. another respondent declared bankruptcy.
( Seems it took 4 years to get to this decision.)

I AGREE totally with the decision of the Court.

People are responsible for their actions. Defamation of people by twitter, for example, is NOT acceptable.

Oh dear what a complicated world we have woven.
sleeping is good for you

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

pinkeye wrote:There was a significant Court decision in QLD yesterday .
I am not saying I have all the facts BUT...

A School Principal at a School not far from here, sued several parents (of her School students)…. for comments they made on the internet. These comments were stark and clear, really lambasting the Principal .

I think there were about 6 people involved on the Respondents side, maybe more. . Some settled, one was held unaccountable, and 2 parents were held to be liable for damages against this person. They dug in their heels and went to Court. The decision was clear.

This couple would not accept this decision. I wonder if they will try to appeal. :roll

They were ordered to pay 3000x2 . The husband had smashed in her door, and the wife was still virulent , even after she was held to be guilty. They lost all their possessions to legal costs in defending their comments.. another respondent declared bankruptcy.
( Seems it took 4 years to get to this decision.)

I AGREE totally with the decision of the Court.

People are responsible for their actions. Defamation of people by twitter, for example, is NOT acceptable.

Oh dear what a complicated world we have woven.
I don't think we have really accepted the idea that if we put something in writing we can be held accountable.....
My Step Son's partner the other day got in trouble at work because about 5 workers where sharing Texts badmouthing the supervisor and someone went and showed him... Just not thinking :purple

:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

i think it went beyond social media ... the parent went to the principals home and forced her way in. I understood she was charged with home invasion but I don't know if that was relevant to the defamation case.
Either way, she should be thrown in jail.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

I think it was the male who went to her home and smashed in her front door.

THEY will never accept they were in the wrong.

I am sure we have all met people like this.. I commend the Principal for her courage and staunchness in the face of virulent verbal assaults via social media. AND NEWS MEDIA.

I'm sure some of you, at least in Qld, saw this on the News.

BUT TO ME.. they looked too old to have children in school. The facts are unclear re this...
sleeping is good for you