So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

Postby Aussie » 14 Apr 2019, 14:55

And then you have this:

Those photos were taken 24 hours ago by a very long term mate of my Son. Said mate of Son is a hugely successful Lawyer who is a North Queenslander. He was back up there from Brisbane for a School reunion with his Family. When those photos were taken, his two daughters one a young teenager and the other a preteenager were present. And, among other things, he is a work place health and safety expert!!!!!

:huh
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Apr 2019, 15:27

Bush turkey? Cassowary?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 14 Apr 2019, 15:54

HBS Guy wrote:Bush turkey? Cassowary?

Bush Turkeys are very little buggers and the worst they can do is make a mess of your yard digging etc.

(I am trying to post an image of one...and I get this shit ~ "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Faaaaaark!)
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 14 Apr 2019, 20:38

yeah , wouldn't want to face a Cassowary on a narrow tropical path.

Perhaps that is part of the beauty of living in Australia.... City dwellers can dream their dreams, but people in the Bush have to face the reality of LIFE every day.

That is..? lots of things can kill you, and your perceptions of safety are bullshit.

Do hope you guys in Texas weren't caught up in the Tornadoes. Good Luck with that.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 20 Apr 2019, 18:24

and you guys worry about Australian snakes :roll

have a look at the size of this thing? If it had somehow grabbed a kid your FBI would still be looking for him two decades from now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-20/large-snake-seen-on-detroit-roof/11033394
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 20 Apr 2019, 22:06

It was on the News here recently.. I'm not putting up a link... where a pet Male Deer killed the husband and critically injured a wife, in Victoria.

A male deer in rut gets very aggressive, the wife, as far as I know is still fighting for life.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 21 Apr 2019, 00:20

Yeah, that python was a pet. There are some huge wild ones in Florida. They are not native. The State of Florida is trying to eradicate them, but there are a lot of them.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 21 Apr 2019, 00:28

yep ..all those dickheads who illegally import such things, thinking they're so cool.. are truly harming the environment all over the world.

Not to mention the illegal smuggling of wildlife. How awful it is... greed , doesn't give a shit.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 21 Apr 2019, 00:31

pinkeye wrote:yep ..all those dickheads who illegally import such things, thinking they're so cool.. are truly harming the environment all over the world.

Not to mention the illegal smuggling of wildlife. How awful it is... greed , doesn't give a shit.

I agree. Pythons should not be pets. I can see having a few in zoos, but not in private hands, especially in an area like Florida. Florida's climate favors pythons.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 21 Apr 2019, 00:41

Everglades = Python Heaven
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 09 Jun 2019, 12:37

Australian millenial
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jun 2019, 13:14

That’d be right! :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Squire » 09 Jun 2019, 14:34

Closet pom is the most deadly animal in Australia.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 02 Jul 2019, 13:47

I did some of my growing up in rural Los Gatos.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jul 2019, 14:47

There were rumors, probably unfounded, of a big black cat sighted in an area, can’t remember which. Speculation of a panther escaped from a circus. Doubt there was anything to the rumors.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jul 2019, 14:49

There were marsupial tigers and lions, died out with the megafauna. In the limestone caves near Naracoorte in my state there is a skeleton of a marsupial tiger wrapped around by the skeleton of a huge python.

https://www.naracoortecaves.sa.gov.au/Home
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Jul 2019, 15:20

HBS Guy wrote:There were rumors, probably unfounded, of a big black cat sighted in an area, can’t remember which. Speculation of a panther escaped from a circus. Doubt there was anything to the rumors.

that was in western sydney
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jul 2019, 15:51

Rural areas. In west Sydney it was likely just DRAH hunting braincells.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Jul 2019, 07:25

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:There were rumors, probably unfounded, of a big black cat sighted in an area, can’t remember which. Speculation of a panther escaped from a circus. Doubt there was anything to the rumors.

that was in western sydney

There is a big black feral cat I've seen a few times around here that just looks at you from the side of the road and is about the size of a kelpie, I could see how someone could think it was a puma :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jul 2019, 08:01

It is fortunate that house cats do not have a gene for gigantism!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Jul 2019, 11:57

Geckos, reptiles, amphibians, and slugs are off the menu.

An Australian family is still grieving over the unexpected loss of their father, who fell gravely ill allegedly after eating a gecko on a dare.

David Dowell was reportedly challenged to eat the small lizard at a Christmas party last year, and was rushed to the hospital two days later in “absolute agony.”

“It was a dare but I don’t know if it was a serious one, I was paying attention but not really because it was a Christmas party and the kids were invited,” Allira Bricknell, the 34-year-old’s longtime partner, told 7News.com.au.

Bricknell told the news outlet that she is still searching for answers as to what happened to the father of three, months after his death. She also said that while his friends did dare him to eat it, she didn't actually watch him put the lizard in his mouth.

“We don’t know 100 percent how he passed but on the actual death certificate, it did say ingestion of a gecko, so I’m assuming it was that,” she said.

His sister, Hannah Dowell, told The Syndey Morning Herald that a day after he arrived at the hospital, doctors diagnosed him with salmonella. She said that the family initially suspected it was related to chicken, but then Bricknell remembered the dare and shared it with doctors.

Dowell’s symptoms had rapidly progressed to include vomiting, massive abdominal swelling and fluid in his lungs. His family reportedly told News.com.au that doctors said he “basically rotted from the inside out.”

Dowell died on Dec. 11, less than two weeks after allegedly accepting the challenge.

Reptiles can be a cause of human salmonella despite appearing healthy and clean. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend keeping reptiles around children younger than 5, or those with weakened immune systems and older adults. It also advises keeping reptiles and their equipment out of the kitchen or any place where food is prepared, served or consumed.

“Don’t kiss or snuggle with reptiles and amphibians because this can increase your risk of getting sick,” the CDC said. “Persons who think they might have become ill from contact with reptiles should talk to a health care provider.”

Dowell’s family wants answers from medical staff relating to his care. They claim that his deteriorating condition wasn’t taken seriously until he landed in the intensive care unit in a coma. Bricknell said it’s been distressing for his children.

“I didn’t want him remembered like this, I just want to remember the happy times,” she told 7News.com.au. “I am really concerned about our three children, I want to protect them, I don’t want people harassing us because of this.”

This also isn't the first time an alleged dare ended tragically for an Australian man either. In Nov. 2018, former rugby player Sam Ballard died eight years after eating a slug on a dare. Ballard had contracted rat lungworm disease and fell into a coma for 420 days, and when he woke he had suffered a brain injury that left him partially paralyzed and unable to eat on his own.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 03 Jul 2019, 17:25

plenty of geckos at my place. I like them, they eat the mozzies.

I didn't realise they could be fatal if ingested.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 03 Jul 2019, 23:32

so .. don't eat them.

:bgrin

Are they Asian geckos ( House Geckos) ? Just curious, if they make a noise or not. I have Native Geckos, but many palces are infested with the imported/ escaped Asian Gecko. Nasty little buggers.. I have ONE. elusive one.. that shows up yr after yr, when the weather is warm. Very annoying. i really dislike hearing that nasty little critter invading my space. I've caught three, singular ones.. This last one is proving elusive. They arrive in things like bales of mulch. :mad

Thank goodness, cross my fingers and hope to die... haven't had a mating pair (EEK) yet.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 04 Jul 2019, 17:24

pinkeye wrote:Are they Asian geckos ( House Geckos)

no idea.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 05 Jul 2019, 00:05

So the question is.. do they make a noise.?

A Call.... chkk chkk chkk chkk .. or a repetitive clicking noise. If they do, they are invaders.. they'll take over from the native geckos.. Native Geckos around about have no call. .. FYI
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic