So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: So...what animal is gonna kill you in Australia?

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jan 2020, 14:05

Wow!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 21 Jan 2020, 22:49

SethBullock wrote:What can kill you in the U.S.?

This was legally hunted by a friend of a friend in Idaho.

cougar6 (2).JPG

Dang!

How disgusting is that.! I'm really sad to see this still happens. Not happy till they're all dead. :sad

EDIT.. just saw that last post.

Still don't think we have the right to kill these animals.
They have the right to live their lives without being slaughtered for their traits. We are the ones who should be responsible.

It's different, if they are feral imported pest animals.. like here in Australia.... You could kill ...pigs sheep goats horses foxes rabbits cattle buffalo camel cats toads. .hmm are there more..?

Oh for sure... carp talopeia imported turtlesand snakes etc etc.. ??
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Jan 2020, 04:40

pinkeye wrote:

cougar6 (2).JPG

Dang!

How disgusting is that.! I'm really sad to see this still happens. Not happy till they're all dead. :sad

EDIT.. just saw that last post.

Still don't think we have the right to kill these animals.
They have the right to live their lives without being slaughtered for their traits. We are the ones who should be responsible.

It's different, if they are feral imported pest animals.. like here in Australia.... You could kill ...pigs sheep goats horses foxes rabbits cattle buffalo camel cats toads. .hmm are there more..?

Oh for sure... carp talopeia imported turtlesand snakes etc etc.. ??

you forgot human.. if there was a true Australian Man if would of had a pouch :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 22 Jan 2020, 05:47

well . I didn't really ignore humans

hmm 'cos I was commenting about ALL the feral animals...

UMMM

well OK u got me.. top of the list of ferals in Australia..?

Europeans .and their descendants... the prisoners, the settlers, the battlers. the stockman, the pastoralists .,. the old families.. have totally fucked this Country.

Inbreeding no doubt produces some really abnormal humans, as well. Bad enough with the poor scrabblers, but the rich.. their utter disregard for anything but their own wealth..... ??

This is Australia.
Burning.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 22 Jan 2020, 13:01

cougar6 (2).JPG

Dang!

Brave man.

It must have been hard tracking him down on foot and then killing the creature with his bare hands.

Was there much of a fight?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 24 Jan 2020, 01:06

well you know what.? it seems to me there are many different TYPES of human, in the world. AND yes I do agree HUMANS as a life-form are more responsible for the deaths of their own kind, than any other,, except perhaps, for bacterium, and Virus.

Although I understand that all extant humans share the same genetics, just spread slightly differently, due to ancient trade routes, and inter-tribal raiding or commerce...etc.... YES even the Chinese, even the Aboriginal peoples of Australia...
.. we all came out of AFRICA.

Now we all instinctively associate different races with different attributes.. it is a common human fault that we don't normally rationalise, ..., to treat every one else but our own clan as suspect. I really think it is part of the human make-up. Hence the chaos of human relationships, both micro and macro, across the world and all known time.

Seems we are ALWAYS our own worst enemies.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jan 2020, 04:31

Xenophobia. Then, too many humans are happy to think other people should be their property,
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 24 Jan 2020, 13:28

greggerypeccary wrote:

cougar6 (2).JPG

Dang!

Brave man.

It must have been hard tracking him down on foot and then killing the creature with his bare hands.

Was there much of a fight?

Greg, your sarcasm is noted. And as much as we disagree on politics, I understand where you're coming from here. These are beautiful animals, top predators. I personally would never kill one except in self defense. At the same time, their populations should be controlled. When they are not controlled, their populations exceed the space that is left for their natural territory. Adult cougars do compete for territory, and when there are too many of them, the areas where they are present expands, and they become a danger to livestock, pets, and humans. A couple of years ago, a woman hiking in my state of Oregon was killed by cougar. It was eventually tracked down and killed by game managers. Not surprisingly, it was a younger, female cougar. This is a pattern we see where most attacks on humans are by younger, smaller cougars who have been pushed closer and closer to centers of human activity by larger, more dominant mature cougars who control the best hunting grounds in the more remote areas. These beautiful animals are not endangered. Their populations are healthy, and so I support managed hunting.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Jan 2020, 17:31

That sounds sensible Seth.

We cull feral pigs camels goats etc here, brumbies too (feral horses.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Jan 2020, 13:14

FIVE mountain lions together in home video surveilance video. Yikes!

https://knx1070.radio.com/articles/ap-news/rare-video-5-ca-mountain-lions-caught-on-camera-together
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2020, 22:24

SethBullock wrote:[q

This is a pattern we see where most attacks on humans are by younger, smaller cougars who have been pushed closer and closer to centers of human activity by larger, more dominant mature cougars who control the best hunting grounds in the more remote areas. These beautiful animals are not endangered. Their populations are healthy, and so I support managed hunting.

Not endangered.? Are you serious... ?

They are running out of HABITAT, .... YOU and your good ol' boys have taken away most all of their former territory.
These females and small males aren't forced into the happy guns of people like you, by ANYTHING BUT LOSS of HABITAT.

Your comfortable acceptance of this as a good reason to kill them will only result in extinction,, long term. Or , just a few surviving in the wild places... I guess you'd have no problem with that. Wolves too, no doubt. Although they are far north of you, I bet you've got like minded people doing the same thing. there, Bet you've killed a lot of coyotes, and such.

No.?

Rattlers, prairie dogs, buzzards.. and the like.... :roll

OKay .... Seth you support it... I mean killing mountain lions puma cougar jaguar....you didn't say you participated.

I'll not presume to know why you have guns, if not to shoot wildlife.

The only other game is HUMAN.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 27 Jan 2020, 02:49

pinkeye wrote:
SethBullock wrote:[q

This is a pattern we see where most attacks on humans are by younger, smaller cougars who have been pushed closer and closer to centers of human activity by larger, more dominant mature cougars who control the best hunting grounds in the more remote areas. These beautiful animals are not endangered. Their populations are healthy, and so I support managed hunting.

Not endangered.? Are you serious... ?

They are running out of HABITAT, .... YOU and your good ol' boys have taken away most all of their former territory.
These females and small males aren't forced into the happy guns of people like you, by ANYTHING BUT LOSS of HABITAT.

Your comfortable acceptance of this as a good reason to kill them will only result in extinction,, long term. Or , just a few surviving in the wild places... I guess you'd have no problem with that. Wolves too, no doubt. Although they are far north of you, I bet you've got like minded people doing the same thing. there, Bet you've killed a lot of coyotes, and such.

No.?

Rattlers, prairie dogs, buzzards.. and the like.... :roll

OKay .... Seth you support it... I mean killing mountain lions puma cougar jaguar....you didn't say you participated.

I'll not presume to know why you have guns, if not to shoot wildlife.

The only other game is HUMAN.

Pinkeye, the United States still has huge expanses of natural, unspoiled wilderness. There are healthy cougar populations living in all of the western states. Hunting of cougars is tightly controlled. Different states have different rules about hunting cougar. The traditional way has been to use dogs. Those dogs are trained to scent them and then follow the scent to the cougar and chase it until it climbs a tree. This method has been banned in my state and several others. Other methods of hunting cougars are difficult to impossible, and so their populations have increased due to the lack of successful hunting. No, it's not human expansion that has brought them so close to us in recent years; it's the expansion of their populations due to greatly reduced hunting pressure that has pushed them into close contact with us.

I think they're beautiful animals, and I have no desire to hunt them. But I understand the need to manage them. The same goes for wolves. They were almost extinct some years ago, and they were allowed a range in Idaho. That population has done well and has expanded into several western states, including Oregon.

I hunt game birds like chukar and pheasants occasionally. If we're successful, the birds are eaten. I have also shot Belding Squirrels, known as "sage rats" in alfalfa fields. These animals are not endangered, and they damage crops. Their remains are eaten by birds of prey, coyotes, and yes, other Belding Squirrels (they are cannibalistic). After shooting them in a field, as soon as we leave, a hoard of birds - hawks, eagles, crows, and turkey vultures descend on the area and clean it up. In the end, nothing is wasted, and it is all returned to the circle of life. I have also hunted feral hogs in Texas. These are an invasive non-native species and a pest. They do tremendous damage to crops, and they do not coexist well with other animals.

And FYI, I've never killed a coyote. I've seen tons of them, however. They're everywhere.

The guns I have are like tools, Pinkeye. To drive in a nail, you use a hammer. To tighten a bolt, you use a wrench. So ... I have a specific shotgun for bird hunting. I have a specific rifle for sage rats. I have a dual-purpose rifle for feral hogs. I have a handgun that is pretty much just for plinking (recreational target practice). I have several handguns for self-defense. I have a couple of guns that were given to me - one from my father before he passed away and one from my father-in-law. I also have a shotgun for defense and an AR-15 for the North Korean Army whenever they get around to landing their troops on the fair shores of my state. Since the North Koreans are making me wait, in the meantime, I use the AR-15 on the feral hogs.

The story behind the AR-15 is that I had never owned one until about 8 years ago. We shop at a grocery/department store. It has a huge grocery section and a department store section. My wife wanted me to go shopping with her, and I didn't want to go. She persisted, and I finally gave in and went with her. She went to the Garden section to look at flowers, and I wandered into the Sporting Goods section. I started chatting with the employee in Sporting Goods, and he commented that they had an AR-15 that hadn't been put out on the display rack yet. I asked the price, and it was a good price. So he got it and showed it to me. I did a little quick research on the brand using my iphone. So I decided to buy it. The background check was done on me, I filled out the necessary forms, and bought it. I went grocery shopping with my wife (reluctantly) and walked out with a new AR-15 rifle. True story.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 28 Jan 2020, 02:20

well thank you Seth. :bgrin

Love your response.. I know you're a good guy... but one must ask these questions...to better understand.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 28 Jan 2020, 06:14

pinkeye wrote:well thank you Seth. :bgrin

Love your response.. I know you're a good guy... but one must ask these questions...to better understand.

You’re welcome, Pinkeye. Any time.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 30 Jan 2020, 13:43

Do you have the same problem with kangaroo crossing signs?

SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 30 Jan 2020, 13:59

Obviously a Trumpeteer!
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 30 Jan 2020, 14:09

Aussie wrote:Obviously a Trumpeteer!

Sounds more like a city liberal to me.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2020, 14:56

ahahahaha what a moron, thinks deer read/understand roadsigns?

No, have not come across anything like that here. A definite Trumpy voter!

Can you imagine this idiot mentioning this to Trumpy:

Trumpy: we are going to build deer crossings that will be beautiful, the greatest deer crossings ever, just fantastic.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 30 Jan 2020, 16:02

HBS Guy wrote:ahahahaha what a moron, thinks deer read/understand roadsigns?

No, have not come across anything like that here. A definite Trumoy voter!

Can you imagine this idiot mentioning this to Trumpy:

Trumpy: we are going to build deer crossings that will be beautiful, the greatest deer crossings ever, just fantastic.

"And best of all, I did a great deal. The deers are gonna pay for them."
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 30 Jan 2020, 22:35

HBS Guy wrote:Trumpy: we are going to build deer crossings that will be beautiful, the greatest deer crossings ever, just fantastic.

Aussie wrote:"And best of all, I did a great deal. The deers are gonna pay for them."

That's the spirit! :clap
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 23:15

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:Obviously a Trumpeteer!

Sounds more like a city liberal to me.

You think? How many City folk have those warning signs? :roll

Good grief. I'd call that caller a typical american ignoramus... and there so many of them. :yak yak
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Previous

Return to Off Topic