What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Dec 2019, 15:53

You blind (drunk?) It IS up!

(hehehehe had to go back and do the removal of the s thingy)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Dec 2019, 15:55

HBS Guy wrote:You blind (drunk?) It IS up!

(hehehehe had to go back and do the removal of the s thingy)

it must be my firefox settings ... i can't see the video
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Dec 2019, 15:56

Ummm you have to lower the security settings or something—do a search or ask mothra or Greg.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 16 Dec 2019, 09:35

Dunno if I've talked about this beer, and too lazy to go through 35 pages of thread to find out.

I've taken a liking to this beer from Deschutes called Lil Squeezy Juicy Ale.

This beer is similar to Deschutes' "Fresh Squeezed IPA". They call it Fresh Squeezed IPA's little sister. Hoppy, and citrusy. But, it is a bit gentler in flavor, while still having enough hoppiness and unmistakable citrus flavor. It is also lighter in color and only 5% alcohol, making it very drinkable.

It's only available in cans, but I can't taste the can. I think it tastes great. I would love to pull this out of an ice chest on a hot summer day while fishing along the Snake River in my boat.

Deschutes Lil Squeezy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2019, 09:43

Idyllic!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 12 Jan 2020, 12:17

Tried this out today.

Rogue Brewery, Newport, OR

Cherry Choctabulous Stout. 8.4%

Cherry aroma, chocolate note.

Syrupy. Would have been better poured over vanilla ice cream.

Rogue Cherry Choc Stout.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jan 2020, 13:52

I think fruit gets lost in a heavy stout or porter. Would love to try tho if I see it here.

Fullers make a “Double Chocolate Stout” which is nice. (Fullers is in England but export a lot, esp the choc. stout.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 12 Jan 2020, 14:09

HBS Guy wrote:I think fruit gets lost in a heavy stout or porter. Would love to try tho if I see it here.

Fullers make a “Double Chocolate Stout” which is nice. (Fullers is in England but export a lot, esp the choc. stout.

I like a chocolate note in a stout, but I didn't care too much for the cherry flavor and syrupy feel to this one. Like I said, better over ice cream ...
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jan 2020, 15:29

Yup.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jan 2020, 16:47

Ok today I felt like a beer and of all Beers a Coors was cheep, so I've been enjoying them today , with storms and humidity approaching finally (very dry here ATM) I've been enjoying the drop. I usually try to get Budweiser (my dear grandmother loved these and even talked the hospital Chaplin to put bud on a swizzle stick and put it in her mouth as a last rite).
my Grandpa loved Pabst Blue Label in a can and I don't mind that either as the teste brings back memories of playing pool etc (even though its quite foul)
I drank the first Coors and thought of my aunty and rang her in Arizona and had a chat.
It amazes me how good food can bring memories and renew long relationships...
I read the label to see if it was actually American beer or brewed here..
It is American but I noticed Coke owns it... Never knew... Still a inoffensive lager sort of like a Toohey's Extra Dry (TED) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2020, 17:00

Coors—a rice beer. Uncomplicated and dry I suppose? Try a Miller some time, that is a corn beer and will be maltier. Hank the Mad Yank (different forum) was skeptical but had to admit I was right.

Corn is still an adulterant (to a purist like me) but adds to the beer flavor where rice is just starch.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jan 2020, 17:09

HBS Guy wrote:Coors—a rice beer. Uncomplicated and dry I suppose? Try a Miller some time, that is a corn beer and will be maltier. Hank the Mad Yank (different forum) was skeptical but had to admit I was right.

Corn is still an adulterant (to a purist like me) but adds to the beer flavor where rice is just starch.

Miller makes the Lime beer in Aussie land and one is nice but after that it gets tedious....
Just like Corona if a beer is that bad you need to put in a lime to drink it, why bother....

What is a TED made out of ?
Because that is what I thought of with the Coors...
My Favourite Beer (most times) is Toohey's New and the Coors doesn't have the bite of that beer...

hey is a Coors Gluten free ? That could be a great selling point.....
I remember years back drinking a Chinese gluten free rice beer because the lady was Gluten intolerant... I don't remember the taste much except I know I didn't hate it but it was a great night..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2020, 17:14

All beers have barley in them.

Gluten free beers exist (I pray I never have to seek them out!) made with rice malt, corn malt, sorghum (tastes sour and goes rancid quickly, yum!) An all corn beer is chicha, made by the women of central America chewing corn, masticating that into a preferred shape then spitting that into the brewpot: the enzymes in saliva convert the starch in the corn into fermentable sugars. Yum.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jan 2020, 17:34

HBS Guy wrote:All beers have barley in them.

Gluten free beers exist (I pray I never have to seek them out!) made with rice malt, corn malt, sorghum (tastes sour and goes rancid quickly, yum!) An all corn beer is chicha, made by the women of central America chewing corn, masticating that into a preferred shape then spitting that into the brewpot: the enzymes in saliva convert the starch in the corn into fermentable sugars. Yum.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/liquor-li ... -free-beer
https://www.beercartel.com.au/blog/glut ... st-friend/
Since both barley and wheat contain gluten, beers made from either are not gluten-free. There are beers currently on the market that are made without gluten. ... Produced by Anheuser-Busch, Redbridge was the first nationally available sorghum beer and is safe for those with celiac disease and wheat allergies.

When there is a will there is a way Monk Especialy when it comes to Beer :beer
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2020, 18:13

Yeah. At the shop I had a couple customers who got Silly Yak, couldn’t do much, some GF kits but not in Oz I think. Told them to learn to malt sorghum. . .or switch to wine. Buckwheat can be used too IIRC and would be superior to rice and sorghum. Corn can be malted too. Lotta work but can be done, couple 10L buckets, one with the bottom perforated, fish tank aerator.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 18 Jan 2020, 09:46

I got a new gun today!

luckshot3.JPG
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Lols » 18 Jan 2020, 09:56

SethBullock wrote:I got a new gun today!

luckshot3.JPG

:c Lift, point and aim in the right direction for best effect :beer

My son has found a beer suitable for him, it’s gluten and carb free so I will be buying a slab of it for when he comes over.
It’s HAHN Ultra Crisp.
Anything for better health eh :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 18 Jan 2020, 10:07

Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I got a new gun today!

luckshot3.JPG

:c Lift, point and aim in the right direction for best effect :beer

My son has found a beer suitable for him, it’s gluten and carb free so I will be buying a slab of it for when he comes over.
It’s HAHN Ultra Crisp.
Anything for better health eh :bgrin

I hope he likes it.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2020, 10:11

Sure it is GF? Sounds more like a very dry (less barley more sugar) beer? Maybe low dose gluten not offending mild Silly Yak cases?

I like my beers malty, with body and mouthfeel.

Lately I have been drinking wine, Tasmanian wine of course. Holm Oak (winemaker there politely told me growing Shiraz was a mug’s game) and Vélo wineries, both in West Tamar Valley. Delish, Pinot Noir and a Sauvignon Blanc. (SB subject to bunch rot as is Riesling, sigh, growing vines not for the faint hearted!)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 18 Jan 2020, 10:22

Yes It is Lower Carbs AND Gluten Free as written on label.
I must admit it has a lighter feel to it, and I too like a beer with more body to it, but for my son, he and his wife seemed pleased he had this HAHN beer, for a couple good reasons, less carbs means he won’t put on much weight, since he doesn’t do his race sport as often as he used to, so he had a tendency to put on weight if not careful as he approaches mid age.
Also, he had some stomach issues which he is checking with doctor RE: lactose intolerance and maybe gluten intolerance, my daughter has gluten intolerance and had adjusted her eating lifestyle tremendously.
So a beer to label as “gluten free” is keeping up with it all.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2020, 10:33

I had this huge pain in my stomach hit me suddenly: I was letterboxing leaflets for the shop, couple months before it opened and POW! It just lasted and lasted. I thought (seriously!) it was overwork since I was running one business, planning the shop (had already leased premises) and letterboxing for the shop before and after working in the office.

I “toughed it out” as my GP said when I finally went to see him. Now, this is the important bit: I asked if I was lactose intolerant (love dairy!) He said no one becomes lactose intolerant, like maybe one person a year in the whole world.

So I am doubtful of claims of lactose intolerance. Somebody abstains from dairy for a longish period will get cramps after eating dairy—this is due to the huge protein molecules in cows milk, especially casein. Takes a while for the digestive system to work out and make the needed enzymes to digest milk etc.

Silly Yak is more common and is often due not to the wheat but the chemicals in the wheat, sprayed on in the paddocks or added to wheat before or after milling. Be dreadful, no bread no beer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 18 Jan 2020, 10:40

Interesting. :read
My son tells me how his has the worst stomach cramps when he has anything with cream etc.
So with these tests he is having at present, will tell us something about what the problem is.
I had never abstained any of us from dairy and I love full cream milk, cream, cheese, eggs etc
I absolutely hate skinny milk...yuk!
My sons FIL who loves to cook, told me this joke
“Why is skinny milk like having sex on the beach?”
Because it’s fucking near water :rofl
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 20 Jan 2020, 11:00

Having this with dinner tonight.

Elysian "Split Shot" Stout. A seasonal beer made by this Seattle, WA, brewery. Nice toasty stout flavor with a little twist of espresso. Mmmm!

6% alcohol, 28 IBU

Elysian split shot.JPG
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 20 Jan 2020, 13:59

SethBullock wrote:Having this with dinner tonight.

Elysian "Split Shot" Stout. A seasonal beer made by this Seattle, WA, brewery. Nice toasty stout flavor with a little twist of espresso. Mmmm!

6% alcohol, 28 IBU

Elysian split shot.JPG

Jayzuz Seth.......beer is beer, coffee is coffee and the twain ought never meet!
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Jan 2020, 16:00

Wrong Aussie. Dark roasted malt has coffee flavors, amber malt has chocolate flavors. Coffee-like and chocolate-like flavors I should say.

Some stouts and porters can have chocolate or coffee added to boost those flavors. Absolutely OK in a dark beer.

When I made a Russian Imperial Stout it would initially have strong chocolate-like flavors. After some years it developed a strong licorice. Took the last two stubies to Lefty’s place first time I went: no taste at all. Eight years old they were.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic