What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 06 Apr 2019, 13:54

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Drinking a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed right now. Notes of grapefruit. It tastes like they squeezed hop juice right into the bottle.

Aussie, if you ever get a chance to buy some, don't bother trying it. Take it over to John's house or Greggery's house, and let them have it. Bongalong too.

are you trying to pass onto me the stuff you don't like? :OMG

and here I was thinking we were mates :grn

No, I like it! It's VERY hoppy. So hoppy I drink it in small amounts per gulp as compared to other beers. Aussie would probably have heart failure if he tried it. :roll

Heart failure? Nah. The immediate reaction would be........'What TF......' and a spit out.

Bleh!!

Wasting good beer should be illegal, Aussie.

Nature gave us taste buds for a reason. You owe it to nature or God not to waste them.

smh
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 06 Apr 2019, 15:09

Didn't like pumpkin or onions as a kid. You?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 06 Apr 2019, 17:15

SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Drinking a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed right now. Notes of grapefruit. It tastes like they squeezed hop juice right into the bottle.

Aussie, if you ever get a chance to buy some, don't bother trying it. Take it over to John's house or Greggery's house, and let them have it. Bongalong too.

are you trying to pass onto me the stuff you don't like? :OMG

and here I was thinking we were mates :grn

No, I like it! It's VERY hoppy. So hoppy I drink it in small amounts per gulp as compared to other beers. Aussie would probably have heart failure if he tried it. :roll

ahhhhh .... Ok then, I forgive you.

And I'll add that beer to my long list of beers to try :thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 07 Apr 2019, 14:51

Aussie wrote:Didn't like pumpkin or onions as a kid. You?

Two things I didn't like as a kid ... that horrible, slimy, canned spinach (made me wretch) and yellow squash.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 07 Apr 2019, 15:00

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:Didn't like pumpkin or onions as a kid. You?

Two things I didn't like as a kid ... that horrible, slimy, canned spinach (made me wretch) and yellow squash.

My Mother knew better than to offer up to three males..."crap" like that!!!!

But, she and two other males liked pumpkin and onion (even in mashed spuds) so there, I drew the short straw, and tossed Teddy!

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 07 Apr 2019, 16:26

SethBullock wrote:that horrible, slimy, canned spinach
:WTF

never heard of it before now. It would turn to mush wouldn't it?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 07 Apr 2019, 16:38

johnsmith wrote:

Yeah. I don't mind fresh spinach leaves in a salad. But out of a can I think it tastes godawful and it provokes a wretch response from me.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 07 Apr 2019, 18:18

SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Yeah. I don't mind fresh spinach leaves in a salad. But out of a can I think it tastes godawful and it provokes a wretch response from me.

Yeas...when I am cooking a chicken and spinach curry (great stuff) I use leaves. Then....great.
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 07 Apr 2019, 19:39

Aussie wrote:chicken and spinach curry

:b :b :b

why would you?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 07 Apr 2019, 19:48

johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:chicken and spinach curry

:b :b :b

why would you?

Because I am a very good cook...better than TIB who taught me how to cook curries, and that chicken and spinach is a favourite. The only thing she does better than me is the meat (mince, potato chopped, beans) samosas and tamarind sauce....they are to die for, I tells ya. It is the bloody tamarind sauce only she knows the voodoo for.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Apr 2019, 15:50

Drinking a Seven Sheds “Willie Warmer.”

Spiced dark ale (maybe that should read “lightly spiced ale? 6.3% abv. A medium strength lightly spiced ale.

For more details: www.sevensheds.com.

Unlikely to find its way to the home of the free and the land of the brave, it is a very local beer of the Tamar Valley, Tasmania. I met this brewery before, at the Launceston Harvest Farmers Market, and loved their beers then. Bought a heap to take with me and bought more this time!

I do like a good beer and if I think this is lightly spiced I will encourage them to up the spices.

I brewed a spiced lager. Made the mistake of putting too much cassia (cinnamon makes a beer beyond medicinally bitter, cassia is a weaker form of cinnamon safe to use in brewing) and it took two years for some of the other spices to show up. If I brew this lager again I will boost the alcohol and bulk age it for 18 months before bottling into stubbies (half bottles.)

I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout: it sat in a keg in my cellarette (a mechanics pit) for 12 months and good thing too: it dropped from 1032 to 1019 over that time: in bottles that means EXPLODING! BOTTLES! A LOT of CO2 is produced in chewing up 13 points of sugar!

Once bottled and left to rest for 6 months—really good strong beers you do NOT rush!—it had a wonderful chocolate flavor from the roast malts. Over time—a strong licorice note developed. The last two stubbies I took to Queensland with me when I went to visit Lefty (a VERY early member here, came with me from KevinRuddSucks.com to DeepShit’s dump to PA to OzPol to here) and he opened them and poured them out—no flavor we could detect. The beer was EIGHT years old by then.

Most beers would not survive 8 years in the bottle but the 14%abv I guess killed any bugs that may have spoiled the beer. I was so dissapointed: the beer tasted fine, very strong licorice flavor last time I tried it, drove it two thousand Kms—no taste at all, fukkit!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 19 Apr 2019, 11:26

My new glass from luckyshotusa.com

lucky shot.JPG

That's a .50 caliber bullet embedded in the glass.

And now, with a Deschutes Inversion.

lucky shot 2.JPG

Very hoppy, using 6 hop varieties, but with a slight malt softening.

From the website ... "Enter, if you will, all the glorious aromatic complexity of the hop. This big, bold IPA’s intense multi-hop kick gets a subtle dose of restraint from select Munich and Caramel malts. For discriminating hop heads."

6.8%, 80 IBU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 19 Apr 2019, 14:25

Luckyshot also makes a whisky glass with a .30 caliber bullet embedded in it.

Probably illegal in Australia I'm guessing ...

'Merica!

:bgrin

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Apr 2019, 15:27

Don’t throw those glasses in the fireplace!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Apr 2019, 15:34

Buying some more Seven Sheds beer tomorrow, also some sloe gin: Tasmania makes probably the best gin and whiskey in the world these days.

If I don’t like the sloe gin I won’t plant a blackthorn.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Apr 2019, 18:45

OK.

1. A bottle of sloe gin is safely stashed in my stuff. Tasted it, reminded me of something, another fruit not a plum (sloes are tiny plums born on very thorny bushes. Definitely WILL plant a blackthorn. Old recipes called for pricking the fruit all over with a needle prior to adding it to gin. Get with the 21st century! Freeze the ones you managed to pick at vast thorn damage, that bursts the skin, add to the gin, put somewhere dark and cool, stirring once in a while. Strain the gin off the fruit (make sloe butter or gelato from the flesh left??) sweeten to taste, strain into a decanter.

2. It is Easter! Have to recognise it in some way.

Seven Sheds “Black Inca” a 5.8% dark ale flavored with cacao beans from Peru and oats (and quinoa???) so a chocolate stout.

Nice, smooove from the oats. Subdued chocolate taste—need to add choc to the bottling bucket. I add 180g Dutch (is there any other?) cocoa made into a slurry with water then hot wort. In the bottling bucket add a bar of 80% cocoa butter chocolat. Think they left out the last bit. Nice beer tho!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 08 May 2019, 05:49

475997D9-EFD2-44B4-95AF-0BEA855F2624.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 07:19

Hah! And beer has so many of the food groups! Grain, green stuff (hops) and vitamins from the yeast, practically a health drink!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 May 2019, 10:37

HBS Guy wrote:Hah! And beer has so many of the food groups! Grain, green stuff (hops) and vitamins from the yeast, practically a health drink!

Bugger kombucha drink beer for a fermented drink..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2019, 13:38

Fuck yeah!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 08 May 2019, 14:29

Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 09 May 2019, 11:51

Aussie wrote:

That is ...

so ...

effing ....

FUNNY!!

I want some of that!!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 09 May 2019, 13:56

You can get 'em anywhere they also sell 'long weights.'
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 10 May 2019, 13:54

Damn!

August 17, 2015

I was wrong — way wrong. I admit it. I inaccurately asked if skunky beer was this summer’s it beer. Turns out, Helium beer is the real must-have summer beer.

Here at CraftBeer.com, the No. 1 question that lands in our email box is this: “Where can I buy helium beer?” We have an answer — but you aren’t going to like it.

We get emails from around the world asking about helium beer. They read a little like this:

“Gotta have this!!!! Is it still being made?!?!”
“Am I able to buy this and get it sent to Australia?”
“Really want to try this. Any retailers in Scotland?”
“Does it make you talk funny?”

So what started the demand for helium beer? At least two big factors are fueling the fire. First, you can thank the folks at Stone Brewing Co. for their April 2014 announcement about Stochasticity Project Cr(He)am Ale with Helium featured in this news release. Stone’s Rick Blankemeier and Mitch Steele spend nearly four minutes going into deep science talk about the Stochasticity Project Ale in this rather convincing video.

But don’t let Rick and Mitch’s enthusiasm fool you. Go back to the news release and the video and check out the publish date. Both were released on April 1, 2014. April 1 is April Fool’s Day friends, and that should be your first big clue into the origins of helium beer.

The second (and likely most viral) factor driving the demand for helium beer is a video from Die BierProbierer titled “Helium Beer Test.” The video shows two guys allegedly sipping on helium beer with a noticeable change in their voices after drinking the beverage. The “Helium Beer Test” video has been replicated by dozens of viral Facebook video publishers worldwide — chances are, that’s where you first saw it. But if you look at the original publish date on the YouTube video, you’ll see that it’s April 1.

At this point, you’re probably catching onto the point we’re about to make: Helium beer is an April Fool’s Day joke, and you’ve been had, my friend. But take comfort in knowing you aren’t alone. The prank is so believable, it even caught the eye of urban legend website Snopes. The Snopes team checked it out and found a similar prank by Boston Beer in the form of “HeliYUM” beer. Snopes concluded that helium beer is just a bunch of hot air.

Why Helium Beer Isn’t Possible

If you still refuse to believe us, then let’s consider the science behind helium beer.

Stone’s Rick Blankemeier, one of the guys responsible for hyping demand for this fictitious beer style, tells us there are three reasons helium beer isn’t scientifically possible. The reasons are:

Helium is not soluble in water (or beer in this case). You can’t carbonate beer with helium like you can with carbon dioxide or nitrogen.
Adding liquid helium would be impossible as it turns from liquid to gas at -220°F. You’d end up freezing your beer.
Even if you could somehow add helium to beer, it would cause gushing because, again, helium is not soluble in beer.

“I could make a fortune if I could somehow violate the laws of thermodynamics and physical chemistry to put helium in beer.” Rick Blankemeier, Stone Brewing

“Who knew that this would capture everyone’s imagination?” said Blankemeier. “I guess I could make a fortune if I could somehow violate the laws of thermodynamics and physical chemistry to put helium in beer.”

So, April 2014’s top beer prank turned into one en vogue beer style—sort of. We know you’re disappointed that you can’t buy it.

So disappointing! :grn

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 10 May 2019, 14:24

Can't believe you missed that 'wink!'

:yahoo :rofl :yahoo
Aussie