What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Mar 2019, 15:04

Been drinking some wine: Saltram 2016 Mamre Brook Shiraz.

Saltram is on the eastern edge of the Barossa, has vineyards on the valley floor, the valley escarpment and higher up at Eden Valley. AGW is affecting them, they are replacing vines on the valley floor with more heat resistant ones. Last open day I attended I suggested to the winemaker that they look to Tasmania. Would let them add Pinot Noir to their offerings.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 24 Mar 2019, 09:25

Just got home a while ago. I was in Washington state visiting my daughter for her birthday.

Aussie, both Mirror Pond and Fresh Haze pack more flavor than you're used to since I'm told you like straw and soapy water.

Mirror Pond is their flagship pale ale, so it splits the difference between the amount of hoppiness and softer maltiness. This one doesn't try to overdo it on either end, while not being bland and tasteless either. I really enjoy it, and it's only 5%, so it's very drinkable.

Fresh Haze packs more of a flavor punch, using multiple varieties of hops. The beer has a discernible citrus punch that tastes sort of like orange.

I'm sorry you had to pay so much for 8 beers, but hey ... You only go around once in life, right?

So, my friend, it's time to open your mind and your taste buds to something other than straw and soapy water. I hope you enjoy them. Deschutes takes pains to deliver a high quality product. I believe they succeed at that goal. Every time I drink one of their beers, I get this sense of freshness and quality built in.

Are you waiting for Monk to get some?
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

"You must be a muslim, god nutter or apologist for them." - Dax, to greggery peccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 24 Mar 2019, 10:25

Are you waiting for Monk to get some?

Ima only giving him 48 hours. That's too many dollars sitting idle in my fridge!

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2019, 11:17

Tomorrow
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 24 Mar 2019, 14:54

Aussie wrote: Cost a tad over $50.00 for 8 cans.

:WTF :WTF
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 24 Mar 2019, 16:24

johnsmith wrote:

Well, I could hardly not pay up given I was responsible for that Cellarbration outlet having them there.

:emb
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 24 Mar 2019, 19:29

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Well, I could hardly not pay up given I was responsible for that Cellarbration outlet having them there.

i bought a case of 24 peroni for that price.

although I was feeling a little ripped off when I found out the bottles were only 330ml instead of 375 ml :mad
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 25 Mar 2019, 10:16

johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

i bought a case of 24 peroni for that price.

although I was feeling a little ripped off when I found out the bottles were only 330ml instead of 375 ml :mad

I was in the store today, and I saw 6-packs of Peroni beer. Because you had mentioned it, I bought a 6-pack for $9.99. In my fridge cooling down. I'll try one later tonight.

"You must be a muslim, god nutter or apologist for them." - Dax, to greggery peccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 25 Mar 2019, 14:30

Had beer and tacos at my local brew pub tonight with some friends.

Had this fairly hoppy brew they make there called Long Gone Day.

Long Gone Day.JPG

I'll try out those Peronis tomorrow.

Cheers! :beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2019, 15:04

Deschutes DaShootz.

Disappointing. Rather flavorless pale ale. Reasonably bitter but the bitterness not balanced with malt. Good head retention.

No other Deschutes beers available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2019, 15:04

No idea how that pic came out sideways.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 25 Mar 2019, 15:22

Yeah, I tried that DaShootz, and I agree that it's a very lightly flavored beer - very lightly. Easily, the most lightly flavored beer they make. Sort of reminds me of Coors Light or Bud Light. Not much to it. I suppose it fills a niche, but yeah ... for one who really likes beer, DaShootz just doesn't do it.

I kinda groaned when I saw your post because I wanted you to judge by their other beers, not that one.

I hope that in the future you can get your hands on their better beers.

DaShootz is not representative of their other beers, like Mirror Pond, Fresh Squeezed, Black Butte Porter, Obsidian Stout, and others. The Pacific Wonderland lager is also good.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 25 Mar 2019, 16:15

Okay......I'll open one in an hour. Now cooling the 'glass.'
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2019, 17:02

I have had some of their other beers. I was just hoping to get the Haze etc to keep Aussie “company.”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 25 Mar 2019, 17:13

HBS Guy wrote:I have had some of their other beers. I was just hoping to get the Haze etc to keep Aussie “company.”

Here we go.

Aussie

Postby Aussie » 25 Mar 2019, 17:14

First sip.........out of the mouth came...."Ohhhhhh...fark!"
Aussie

Postby Aussie » 25 Mar 2019, 17:16

Second sip.......nah.

Back to VB. Those Deschutes can go to Donnie Darko.

You Oregon Coppers suck on beer taste. (Can't be me of course!)
Aussie

Postby Aussie » 25 Mar 2019, 17:23

Back to VB.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2019, 20:30

Oh, come on! This is real beer, well crafted, ton of flavor.

Have another sip!

Don’t drink it too cold, suppresses the malt so the hops are too dominant.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2019, 20:31

PS:

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 25 Mar 2019, 21:27

There are seven cans which will come with us next time we go to Brisbane to see Darko. That might have been the bees knees to you blokes...but....when you are bought up on XXXX and then switch to VB......that 'crafty' stuff....nah.

Darko will like them. His beer fridge is full of that sort of stuff.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2019, 22:05

Good score for Darko then.

We DID describe the beers, laying stress on hops and bitterness.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 26 Mar 2019, 01:03

Monk, you and Aussie should trade beers.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 26 Mar 2019, 01:05

Aussie wrote:First sip.........out of the mouth came...."Ohhhhhh...fark!"

That’s hilarious and sad at the same time.

Smh ...

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Mar 2019, 09:07

I spent a bit of time here on the weekend:

https://www.blastabrewing.com/

I really like their lager.

https://www.blastabrewing.com/our-beers/

greggerypeccary
Warthog