What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Nov 2018, 15:23

Two words for Ossie: golf lessons.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Nov 2018, 15:36

Aussie wrote:Golf.......this morning........getting pissed off. Shot a net 69.....thinking....that's gonna be close to a win.

Nah......some farq visitor from a nearby Club also 69....and 'Aussie' lost on a count back.

Fuck it. That's twice in a fortnight I have been dudded.

:grn

But nobody died.

We're "war parents". That's what we say to each other when things go wrong. I said that just today in a text message to my wife. She texted me that her work announced a change in their benefits package. She was mad. I told her nobody died.

Have a beer, Aussie.

This is what I'm having tonight.

deschutes-hopzeit.jpg

"Inspired by a traditional Marzenbier, German hops add herbal, fruit and spice notes to balance the smooth and elegant malt character."

7.0%

Cheers! :beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Nov 2018, 15:39

GErman hops, Hallertauer and Tettnang! Maybe some Czech Saaz?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 03 Nov 2018, 15:46

Oh....sure 'nobody died!' Just far worse ~ 'Aussie' got dudded at Golf again! Beer, did you say.......oh.......okay!

:beer

[Only the last three words apply.]

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 03 Nov 2018, 16:09

Aussie wrote:Golf.......this morning........getting pissed off. Shot a net 69.....thinking....that's gonna be close to a win.

Nah......some farq visitor from a nearby Club also 69....and 'Aussie' lost on a count back.

I'm always happy when i get a 69 :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 03 Nov 2018, 16:16

Yer probably playing off the wrong tees.
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 03 Nov 2018, 17:28

Aussie wrote:Yer probably playing off the wrong tees.

or the right one :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 03 Nov 2018, 23:02

SethBullock wrote:

But nobody died.

We're "war parents". That's what we say to each other when things go wrong. I said that just today in a text message to my wife. She texted me that her work announced a change in their benefits package. She was mad. I told her nobody died.

Have a beer, Aussie.

This is what I'm having tonight.

deschutes-hopzeit.jpg

"Inspired by a traditional Marzenbier, German hops add herbal, fruit and spice notes to balance the smooth and elegant malt character."

7.0%

Cheers! :beer

looks very nice
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 04 Nov 2018, 02:33

First world problems ^^ :sad
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby fisherman » 04 Nov 2018, 10:08

fisherman

Postby SethBullock » 05 Nov 2018, 10:56

Iceland’s bars ran out of beer trying to serve drunk US sailors and Marines

By: J.D. Simkins

Founding Father and principal author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, once quipped, “Beer, if drunk in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.”

The military never got that memo.

A national crisis hit Iceland this week when a force of 7,000 American sailors and Marines who know nothing about the third president’s propensity for alcoholic self-restraint invaded the country’s capital city of Reykjavík, flexed an unquenchable thirst for frosty suds and swiftly drained much of the city’s beer supply.

Upon arrival, sailors and Marines taking part in NATO’s Trident Juncture exercise wasted no time getting wasted, Iceland Magazine reported, with most making a beeline straight from the ship to the closest bar to locate, close with and destroy beers.

Bar owners tried to accommodate the onslaught of American patrons, but “they were fighting an overwhelming force,” said local blogger, Eiríkur Jónsson.

Give me your tired, your thirsty, your huddled masses yearning to drink beer.

Wave after wave of dehydrated sailors and Marines strolled into town, filling local establishments for four days straight in search of that old, familiar embrace of sweet inebriation.

One restaurant, Sæta Svínið — good luck pronouncing that — was one of the first to run out of beer. Bar owners tried borrowing from other businesses that were better stocked, but the Americans were too many.

As other bars quickly began drying up, owners who said they had never experienced such an alcoholic assault put out a beer distress signal.

One of Iceland’s local breweries, Ölgerð Egils Skallagrímssonar, answered the call and immediately began working overtime to distribute emergency beer shipments that could furnish the parched Americans with sustenance.

Ölgerð Egils Skallagrímssonar — the king in the North.

When the ships finally departed Reykjavík, the city with a population of about 120,000 in a country with just under 340,000 was finally able to breathe.

Iceland had survived the assault, the Americans had drank their fill and there have yet to be any reports of overindulgent debauchery — a true success story.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... d-marines/

Semper Fi, Marines. :beer
Last edited by SethBullock on 05 Nov 2018, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 05 Nov 2018, 11:02

"Overpaid, overfed, oversexed, over thirtsy and over here."

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 05 Nov 2018, 11:10

Aussie wrote:"Overpaid, overfed, oversexed, over thirtsy and over here."

:bgrin

Speaking of "over there" ...

Drunken British sailors are invading Florida and beating each other up, because why not?
By: J.D. Simkins

The redcoats are coming, the redcoats are coming — to fight at a bar near you.

Watering holes everywhere in the vicinity of Naval Station Mayport experienced a major boon in business this week after British sailors from the Royal Navy’s prized new carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth arrived in the northeast Florida port of Jacksonville Beach.

Hundreds of sailors rambled off the ship Wednesday following a weeks-long journey that marked the 65,000-ton vessel’s first transatlantic voyage. And as is tradition with navies around the world, a pressing matter had to be attended to immediately upon exiting the hulking ship — the ancient mariner rite of drinking to the point of annihilation.

With only a few days on land before heading back to sea, the Queen Elizabeth’s occupants stormed the beaches of Jacksonville ready to declare war and conquer any and all alcoholic beverages that stood in their way.

“I think we need a modern day Paul Revere to let us know that the British are coming,” Keith Doherty, a general manager at Lynch’s Irish Pub in Jacksonville Beach, told the Florida Times-Union. “I know a lot of places were understaffed and that caused a lot of issues.”

The plight of understaffed service, however, wound up being on the lighter side of the evening’s tribulations, as the number of alcohol-induced escapades inevitably soared Wednesday night and into Thursday morning.

As any who have deployed or spent time on ship can attest, the accumulation of aggression while confined to tight quarters in the middle of an ocean can have a profound impact on the human psyche.

This often manifests through booze-fueled skirmishes or other shenanigans when personnel find themselves liberated from the bowels of a floating prison and once more on the familiar environs of dry land. It’s practically tradition, and the Brits dared not break from it.

Doherty told the Times-Union he heard the number of such skirmishes were in the hundreds.

All the angry people, where do they all come from?

These tall tales were refuted by Sgt. Larry Smith of the Jacksonville Beach Police Department, who told the Times-Union that six Queen Elizabeth sailors had been taken into custody for drunken and disorderly conduct, which included public urination and fighting. Three sailors were charged with resisting arrest, and at least one needed to be tased.

What would a Florida-based story be, after all, without at least one person necessitating a tasing?

Fights with the host Floridians, meanwhile, were reportedly nonexistent, as the blokes from across the pond evidently managed to keep the raucous behavior to themselves.

“These guys come in town periodically,” Smith said. “They beat the mess out of each other and fight each other more than anything, but once they pick up their teeth off the ground they are best friends.”

One complaint from bar and restaurant owners about the visiting seamen was nearly universal: tipping.

“They tipped a little under 10 percent," Haleigh Snow, manager at Poe’s Tavern in Atlantic Beach, told the Times-Union. “I don’t think they knew they were doing anything wrong.”

International tipping customs aside, Smith said local police have had no additional issues since the incidents were first reported to the ship’s top brass.

While these mishaps certainly don’t make the best first impressions on locals, the concept of going a little overboard during a port visit is one familiar to many Americans....

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/mili ... e-why-not/
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 05 Nov 2018, 11:37

I don't know about the yanks, but I can vouch first hand on British sailors propensity to soak up the suds.

When younger, and spending some time In Calabria, Southern Italy, I used to drink with an English sailor every evening at a local bar. I thought I could drink a bit but this guy made me look like a toddler having his first drink. He'd polish of at least a case of longnecks (750mm) every evening , and still he managed to drag himself out of bed at 6am for a 5 mile run every morning.

The local barkeep, who was also a friend of mine, told me the guy had drunk what would normally be 3 months supply of longnecks, in just two weeks. :b
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 05 Nov 2018, 11:57

johnsmith wrote:I don't know about the yanks, but I can vouch first hand on British sailors propensity to soak up the suds.

When younger, and spending some time In Calabria, Southern Italy, I used to drink with an English sailor every evening at a local bar. I thought I could drink a bit but this guy made me look like a toddler having his first drink. He'd polish of at least a case of longnecks (750mm) every evening , and still he managed to drag himself out of bed at 6am for a 5 mile run every morning.

The local barkeep, who was also a friend of mine, told me the guy had drunk what would normally be 3 months supply of longnecks, in just two weeks. :b

Lol ...

When I was in the Army in the 70s, a contingent of Australian soldiers came to Hawaii to train with us. Good guys. Boy, could they drink!
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 05 Nov 2018, 13:52

My drink of choice in those days was scotch and coke, beer used to leave me feeling bloated.

There was another good thing about that little bar I mentioned earlier. Here when I order a scotch and coke, I get a tumbler of cola with a nip of scotch .... there it was a tumbler of scotch (and they gave me top shelf scotch with no difference in price) with a nip of cola.

I was in heaven. :bgrin
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Nov 2018, 16:11

For a devotee of malt. . .I never liked whiskey.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Nov 2018, 20:53

SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:I don't know about the yanks, but I can vouch first hand on British sailors propensity to soak up the suds.

Lol ...

When I was in the Army in the 70s, a contingent of Australian soldiers came to Hawaii to train with us. Good guys. Boy, could they drink!

that's funny I was in the air force on the 80's and the marines from japan used to visit us and I thought the same about their drinking hehe :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 06 Nov 2018, 16:18

Guinness may help stop hearing loss
IrishCentral Staff
@IrishCentral
Apr 07, 2017

A pint of Guinness each day can help stop you going deaf, new research shows. Long thought to have medicinal properties, Guinness, thanks to its high iron content, may also combat hearing loss.

Guinness_pints_plain_stout_pint_iStock.jpg

Up until recently, Guinness was given to patients in recovery to build up their strength and now, apparently, it replaces lost iron, which helps patients with hearing difficulties. The new research was published in the Journal of American Medicine.

It seems Guinness has a beneficial impact when drunk, providing much-needed iron that may help to prevent deafness. The Daily Mail first reported the link under the headline "Don't want to go deaf? Have a pint of Guinness every day."

The research at Pennsylvania State University found that high levels of iron help stop hearing loss. The study of more than 300,000 people found a link between iron deficiency anemia (IDA) and hearing loss. More than 30 percent of the world’s population is anemic and needs more iron and is in danger of hearing loss.

Pennsylvania State University researchers found a lack of the mineral can cause sensorineural hearing loss – damage to the cochlea or nerve pathways. They also discovered it could also cause conductive hearing loss – problems with the bones in the middle of the ear.

Study author Kathleen Schieffer said, “An association exists between IDA in adults and hearing loss.

“The next steps are to better understand this correlation and whether promptly diagnosing and treating IDA may positively affect the overall health status of adults with hearing loss.”

Iron tablets do not help, recent research showed, due to DNA damage to blood vessels. In that case, Guinness might be a perfectly good substitute.

Guinness is often said to have medicinal properties, although the company refuses to tout them in the modern era.

Its advertising slogan from the 1920s was “Guinness is good for you!”

It was claimed that Guinness was effective against blood clots because of antioxidant compounds which slow down the accumulation of dangerous cholesterol.

So, it could be a case of "hear, hear" for Guinness fans, especially those a little hard of hearing.

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/fo ... aring-loss

:beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 06 Nov 2018, 16:20

DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

Lol ...

that's funny I was in the air force on the 80's and the marines from japan used to visit us and I thought the same about their drinking hehe :purple

I believe you, lol.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Nov 2018, 16:21

When my sister was nursing her firstborn the doctor suggested she drink stout.

It is a beer not medicine!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 06 Nov 2018, 16:40

A pint of Guinness each day can help stop you going deaf, new research shows.

I'm framing that and sticking over my bar :giggle :giggle
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Nov 2018, 16:43

johnsmith wrote:

better make it big letters.. it didn't say anything about eye sight...... :bgrin
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby Aussie » 06 Nov 2018, 17:08

johnsmith wrote:

Dickhead! There goes the "I didn't hear you Dear," defence!
Aussie

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Nov 2018, 17:12

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Dickhead! There goes the "I didn't hear you Dear," defence!

yes , but if u only get better hearing while drinking does it matter :purple
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic