What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2020, 07:16

Underage brats should not be Home Alone!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2020, 10:41

Trying out some Widmer (Portland, OR) beers.

This one is called "Secret Stash", probably because they use "hop hash" and hemp seeds. 6.2%, 60 IBU

from the website ... "What’s our secret? Hop Hash and Hemp Seeds. Hop Hash is the sticky, resiny lupulin mix that is created as a byproduct of the hop pelletizing process. Our premium hop hash is sourced exclusively from Crosby Hop Farm in Woodburn, Oregon.

Made from the choicest cuts. Secret Stash blends dank Amarillo Hop Hash, Nugget Hops and Hemp Seeds into a piney and resinous IPA."

Strong flavors that linger long after the swallow.

I'll show you some others in the coming days.

Hop hash
Widmer hop hash.png

Widmer Secret Stash.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby SethBullock » 10 Feb 2020, 10:48

HBS Guy wrote:Underage brats should not be Home Alone!

Yeah, but some things must be picked up in person at the local UPS. UPS will deliver guns to or from licensed gun dealers or manufacturers. So my friend sent his rifle back to the manufacturer to have something fixed. When the manufacturer sent it back to him, he had to go and pick it up in person at the local UPS hub. Too bad we can't do that with alcoholic beverages.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2020, 13:16

Yeah, could swap some of my cider/beet etc for a stubby or three of BigFoot.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 10 Feb 2020, 16:50

karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I've been meaning to try that Coopers beer sometime when I get a chance. It's not available in my local stores. A limited amount of it is imported to the U.S. and I think I would have to drive about an hour to try it out. I will sometime. :beer:

we have online wine and beer stores here, I'm sure USA would have the same, maybe worth a look.. :purple

We can't ship beer through the mail here (which I find outrageous). There are online beer finders though. I can use that to go where a beer is, but I have no way of ordering it and having it delivered.

that's a bit silly. I'm always delivering beer and wine to customers.

It’s to prevent underage brats having it delivered when mummy & daddy aren’t home.

anyone who looks under 25 must provide id, otherwise i card them and take the booze to the post office where they await an adult to pick them up.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Feb 2020, 21:29

I remember in the early 90's there was a beer and pizza delivery store, was really good pizza too, unfortunately the drivers didn't really give a fuck who they where delivering the pizza's to and they got shut down... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 13 Feb 2020, 12:11

This called "Deadlift Imperial IPA" by Widmer Brewing.

widmer deadlift.JPG

8.6%, 70 IBU

Fairly clear, strong on hop flavor, slight caramel note, slightly discernible maltiness for some balance.

Being the lightweight that I am, one of these is enough. My next beer tonight will be a 5%er.

I just finished the glass and already 'feelin' it ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Feb 2020, 17:10

8.6%, yup you’re feeling it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 15 Feb 2020, 12:45

I like this ...

Widmer Brewing's "Russell Street IPA", named after the street their brewery is on.

Hoppy. Citrusy. 6.3%, 70 IBU

A little hazy.

Wish I could send it to you guys.

Cheers :beer

Widmer Russell Street.JPG
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2020, 16:09

Edinburgh Hotel near here has a big beer range but lots of duds in that range.

Will do some research, somebody must have a few CA/OR beers.

You should be able to find UK/Euro beers easy enough.

We could do a transcontinental beer tasting:

Belgian ales: dubbel, tripel, quadrupel

German: Bitburger lager, hefeweizen

Most of these even Aussie should be able to drink, might improve his taste away from VB {shudder}
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 15 Feb 2020, 19:25

HBS Guy wrote:Edinburgh Hotel near here has a big beer range but lots of duds in that range.

Will do some research, somebody must have a few CA/OR beers.

You should be able to find UK/Euro beers easy enough.

We could do a transcontinental beer tasting:

Belgian ales: dubbel, tripel, quadrupel

German: Bitburger lager, hefeweizen

Most of these even Aussie should be able to drink, might improve his taste away from VB {shudder}

If they taste like a beer and not a cordial or a soft drink or a fruit factory product.....sure.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2020, 11:30

Ales have fruity esters, wheat beers have them in abundance. Lagers are clean, think you will like the Bitburger Aussie!

I bought two beers at the local Farmers Market, one is an “American Barley Wine” but dunno what makes it American, the hops probably.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2020, 15:16

OK, link first:

https://www.littlebang.com.au/beers

This is a local brewery only a few Km from where the market is.

The beer:
The Barleywine style is a delicious, deeply malty, excessively strong ale from England. Americans like to throw a lot of hops in their beer. This is a combination of those things, and proper tasty. Also proper dangerous. Approach with caution.

Australian International Beer Awards Silver Medallist 2017 & Bronze 2019 Royal Adelaide Beer & Cider Awards Bronze 2017

Something about this beer is not right.

Pour into the glass, amber-light brown color and a nice head that hangs around. Good. 2/3 for appearance. Tempted to take one point off for purely personal preference: there is crystal malt in there and I do not like crystal malt, color and malt can be obtained in other, better ways.

Aroma is sweet malt, despite all those hops—did not really get any hop aroma. So they added all the hops at the start of the boil Sensible really, a big beer needs some time to mature or it is all alcohol heat—especially at 10.1%abv and in that time hop flavor and aroma tends to dissipate. 2/3 for aroma.

Taste: decently bitter, whatever IBUs they put in are still there. Not much malt on the palate that I could detect. Maybe too many IBUs? 2/6 for flavor. The bitterness is supposed to balance the malt, not overpower it.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I have decided to get cracking on getting my half size brewery going now! Well, after April, only a fool brews in Feb in Australia! So task #1—find a stainless steel 30L pot! Anyone got one lying around?

Then a 20L esky of decent quality with a drainage tap. Buy some 20mm/3/4" copper tubes and some T and elbow joints, make a manifold that will sieve wort from the grains. Then some soft 20mm copper tube to form into a coil—this will become my immersion chiller.

Because it is a half size brewery a 30L/7–8gal urn with thermostat will do as a hot liquor tank. My little 10L urn is great to preheat the mash tun and for clean up at the end of the day.

Need a new burner, I think, but will find and try my old ones.

To make a true barleywine I would do three mashes in one day with the first wort boiling until the second and third worts are added then add hops and boil for another hour—but with the smaller kettle (stockpot) I might need to chill and decant the first wort before adding the second, will see. To make a barley wine rather than making your system groan at the weight of hops you make a slightly smaller volume.

The taste of a beer made of the thick early runnings only is to dream about. That the wort is from 3 lots of wort is no matter.

Now, a lot of boiling is involved in boiling down the volume of wort to something worthy of the name barleywine is going to be darkened just by the length of the boil. I would look to a grist mill of something like:

Pale Malt—UK Maris Otter premium pale ale malt, 75% at least
Light amber malt—created by roasting some malt in the oven at home: 90 minutes at 190°C to dry the malt, then 30 minutes each at 100, 110, 120°C stirring to turn the malt over every 15 minutes. Smells like baking delicious stuffs all the while, deelish in beer, 20%

Last fraction, some Vienna & Munich malt, maybe 1tbsp black patent malt.Even the professionals have trouble with color, some delicious experiments to get the color pretty right will be necessary. The hard life of a home brewer.

Will definitely make a batch of my Golden Ale:

1. All Maris Otter pale malt, 15% roasted as described above.

2. East Kent Goldings throughout: bittering, flavoring, aroma and flavor additions plus dry hopping.

3. Two or three mashes with only the very thick early runnings collected. The intensity of flavor and aroma of a one malt, one hop beer made like this is indescribable! The uncle who moved to England, set up a steel fabrication business mocked the set up I had created “Can you make a dollar out of all this?” he asked mockingly. Yet when drinking this Golden Ale kept exclaiming “This is a really well made beer!” No doubt a real brewer would have impressed him even more with his beer. {mock humility, LOL!}

A couple of Extra Special Bitters be good. However, a barleywine, mulled, will be a lovely thing to drink on a cold Tasmanian winter night!

I will not be wasting the sugar and protein etc in the mashes not sparged into the final beer. Barley biscuits, barley dog biscuits, mash for the chooks in the case of smaller beers, or chuck the not fully sparged mashes into a bigger mash tun, sparge that—very nice second runnings beer.

Too many home brewers get caught up in getting the highest efficiency possible from their mash. Nah! A homebrewer uses just a few kilograms of malt, much better to chuck in another kilogram (2lb) worth maybe $3 then make a beer they need to add $5 of chemicals (lactic acid etc)? Beers made from nice thick early runnings just are so superior!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 08 Mar 2020, 12:48

Good luck with your brewing, Monk.

Leota Mae.JPG

Saw this in the store made by the Bale Breaker Brewing Company out of Yakima, WA.

They grow their hops and brew their beers on a family farm that has been in their family since 1932. Leota Mae was the matriarch of the family and worked the land herself.

This IPA they named after her is a strong-flavored hoppy brew. Not being a beer tasting expert who can discern all the nuances of different beers, I'll just say what they say about this beer ...

"Medium-high aroma intensity. Hops are very dominant with primary aromas of berry, tropical fruit, herbal, and pine. Pronounced flavor intensity, with hops again dominating. Flavors of grass, resin, fruity, and dank. Very little malt aroma or flavor. Intense bitterness with very dry character and medium body."

Sounds about right to me. 6.2%, 50 IBU

Good IPA. Would go well with steak, burgers, hearty meals.

Cheers! :beer
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Mar 2020, 15:24

That looks like a right nice beer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Mar 2020, 11:38

Deschutes Brewery Lays Off 300 Workers Amidst COVID-19 Downturn

PORTLAND, Ore. — Deschutes Brewery has laid off the majority of its employees due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Founder Gary Fish told Oregonlive on Wednesday that 300 employees have been let go.

Oregon bars and restaurants that cannot provide take-out service were ordered by Governor Kate Brown to close.

Fish started the brewery in downtown Bend in 1988. They added a second location in Portland’s Pearl District in 2008.

Deschutes Brewery is Oregon’s leading producer of craft-beer, having sold over 60,000 barrels of beer statewide last year.

:OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 12:36

Oh dear, just when a craft brew or 6 might be handy to stave off boredom and cabin fever!

Ulysses S. Grant went on a three day bender during the siege of Vicksburg—he was bored! Amazing how the top two US generals, Grant and Sherman were failures in business before rejoining the US Army in the 1860s.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Mar 2020, 14:33

HBS Guy wrote:Oh dear, just when a craft brew or 6 might be handy to stave off boredom and cabin fever!

Ulysses S. Grant went on a three day bender during the siege of Vicksburg—he was bored! Amazing how the top two US generals, Grant and Sherman were failures in business before rejoining the US Army in the 1860s.

I'll see if I can stock up tomorrow.
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 28 Mar 2020, 03:43

Deschutes.JPG
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2020, 12:39

Drinking a fresh haze IPA.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 28 Mar 2020, 14:35

HBS Guy wrote:Drinking a fresh haze IPA.

I just had one too! What do ya think of it?
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2020, 18:02

Love it!

And I think of poor Aussie buying it or something similar, pouring a glass, sipping. . .LOL!

I bought a longneck, 750ml of Saisson.

Belgium is a country you can drink a different beer every night starting New Years Day and nearly make it to the next New Years Day before having to drink a beer you already drank in that year. Most of these are in the Dutch-speaking Flanders part of Belgium. The French speaking Walloons also have their beer style. Before farming was mechanised seasonal workers called saisoneurs would arrive in August to bring in the harvest. The farmer would refresh them with a beer he had brewed the previous December (the ground was frozen so the farmer had the time, eh?)

People wielding razor sharp scythes are not the sort of people you refresh with 10%abv beers—these beers, saisons, were more like 3%.

What sort of brewers were these farmers? One word: opportunistic. These were not 100% malt beers! Malt is more expensive than unmalted oats or flaked barley etc. Maybe some spices can boost flavor. Hops used were English hops from just across the Chanel, German hops would have to make a long expensive journey by the roads of the time, England was closer.

Notice I said the beer was brewed in December and served in August? That was some hope that barrels of beer stayed good for nine months in the prePasteur days! If a lactic ferment happened the farmer was very happy: the pH would be reduced by the lactobaccillus guarding the beer from spoilage.

Wallonia extended a bit across what is now the French border so saison is also made in the (former) Department Du Nord and the Department du Calais (now absorbed in some new administrative district.)

Breweries making saison no longer stick to the 3%abv limit!

I have a bottle of saison, will drink and report in due course.

This is the recipe for the first saison I brewed. The spelt grain was crushed with the malt in my Canadian made maltmill.]

Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: WY 3724
Yeast Starter: .5L
Batch Size: 25L/about 6US gals
Original Gravity: 1047
Final Gravity: 1005
Alcohol Content: 5.6 %
Total Grains: 5.25Kg
Color:
Extract Efficiency: 75 %
Hop IBU's: 21
Boiling Time: 90-120 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 5 days at 25-27C
Secondary Fermentation: 21 days at 24C
Additional Fermentation: bottle age for 8 weeks

Grain Bill:

3.25Kg Joe White Export Pilsner malt
.5Kg Vienna
1Kg spelt grain
250g oats
250g kandi sugar

Hop Bill:

30g EKG pellets 5.1%AA 60 minutes
15g Styrian Golding pellets 15 minutes

Spices
15 minutes and flameout
7-10g each of corander, cardamon, cumin and star anise

Mash Schedule:

Cereal mash of spelt & oats with 1.75Kg pils
32C 15 mins, 50C, 20 mins 65C, raise to boil & boil 10 mins
add to balance of Pils malt and the Vienna malt resting at 50C, raise combined mash to 65C, rest 60 minutes, decoct to mash out

Brewers Notes:

My first Saison, to be brewed tomorrow

Inspired by Phil Markowski "Farmhouse Ales" Brewers publications

WY 3724 is the WyeastLabs saison yeast. It ferments right down and I kept the saison in a 20L “cube” in my study for a month. It fermented down to 1002 (water is 1000) so bone dry but the protein from the spelt gave it a massive mouthfeel, a weird drinking experience.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2020, 18:04

Oh dear, Czech hops, decoctions? Hmmmm :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 29 Mar 2020, 04:42

Glad ya liked the Fresh Haze, Monk. :beer
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Mar 2020, 04:52

Yes, I have tasted that before.

Definitely will have a half size brewery in Tasmania! I love brewing beer—the moment the hops hit the boiling wort—amazing, worlds best perfume! The whole neighborhood knew I was brewing :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic