What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 08:15

I'd like to know what beer you like. Tell about it - what it's like, where its made. Show pictures too.

I'll start.

This is my favorite every day drinking beer. It is the Deschutes Brewery Mirror Pond IPA, brewed in Bend, OR. This beer is hard to find outside of the Pacific Northwest in the U.S., although I think I read that they were going to start another brewery somewhere on the east coast. I don't know if they export any.

MirrorPond_New (3).png

This IPA is very well balanced. Some quotes from beeradvocate.com

"On tap at the brewpub. Can’t believe I haven’t had this before. Looks and smells like an old school pale ale. Tasty and the finish is extraordinary. Finishes clean and malty and dry and crisp."

"Very nice beer - had forgotten how good. Pours a beautiful deep golden yellow color with a great head and lacing. Bready somwhat citrusy smell and taste. A bit of lemon with a slightly piney bitter finish. Very satisfying!"

"Pours a slightly cloudy orange amber with one finger white head. Aroma is caramel with a a bit of spicy floral notes. Taste is spicy citrus, hoppy caramel malt, and pine. The mouthfeel makes the beer - full and lingering hoppy bitterness but with a level of creaminess - very drinkable. Great easy drinking hoppy pale."

There are others I like from Deschutes and elsewhere, and I look forward to talking about them if the interest is there. Looking forward to hearing about your favorites.

Seth :beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 08:58

My tipple of choice. . .my homebrew. . .other than that it is usually Coopers Sparkling.

Their best IMHO is the 7% Vintage Ale:
https://coopers.com.au/our-beer/seasonal/vintage

These days every new beer seems to be a Pale Ale or an India Pale Ale. What about the darker side of the beer world?

Amber ale

Brown Ale (should add Mild Ale but it was not originally specifically a dark beer)

Porter

Stout

The last is the only dark ale that seems to have much favor these days. Cheaper breweries, megaswill, will color a pale lager with caramel and call it a Dunkel or something. That is what Toohey’s Old is, their new + caramel.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 09:50

HBS Guy wrote:My tipple of choice. . .my homebrew. . .other than that it is usually Coopers Sparkling.

Their best IMHO is the 7% Vintage Ale:
https://coopers.com.au/our-beer/seasonal/vintage

These days every new beer seems to be a Pale Ale or an India Pale Ale. What about the darker side of the beer world?

Amber ale

Brown Ale (should add Mild Ale but it was not originally specifically a dark beer)

Porter

Stout

The last is the only dark ale that seems to have much favor these days. Cheaper breweries, megaswill, will color a pale lager with caramel and call it a Dunkel or something. That is what Toohey’s Old is, their new + caramel.

I'll bet that's plenty good.

I'm going to make a point of reacquainting myself with the darks, like Porter and Stout, just so I can talk about them. Yeah, that's a good enough reason. :bgrin
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 27 Oct 2018, 09:57

I prefer lagers although I have my share of ales.

My favourites are the Japanese ones
Sapporo or Asahi will do me.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 10:04

Ha!

Coopers make a Stout, Coopers Extra Stout. Dumbed down tho from what it used to be, less alcohol but also less flavor. Used to have a nice clear strong licorice flavor from the roasted aka black patent malt. (The patent is for a steel drum roaster that allowed dark malt to be kilned without burning the malting works down. That was latish in the 19th century.)

Porter had its heyday in the 18th century, made with brown malt that was diastatic (enough enzymes left to convert the starch in the grains into fermentable sugars.) Porter fell out of favor and was not made anywhere for some years until the home brew movement rescued it and craft breweries picked up on it.) Nowadays brown malt is roasted quickly and has no enzymes left. I made a great Russian Imperial Stout Porter with 1/3 pale, one third amber and one third brown malt—commercial pale malt has lots of enzymes so commercial brewers could do a mash in 20 minutes instead of an hour. To make a pale beer I would use English Maris Otter or Golden Promise (same variety but grown in Scotland for the whiskey trade. Or a German malt. There are some nice old Australian malts, schooner and sloop and one or two others.

I knew this yank who got sent to Kuwait after the Gulf War. Tried malting in his flat, then found “this beautiful Australian barley” (he usually ran Australia down) and away he went. He smoked two packets of cigarettes a day, no surprise he died of heart and respiratory problems. Awesome brewer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 11:00

Coopers beers are available at a few places around Portland. You've got me curious now, so I want to stop in at one of those places one of these days.

Here's what I'm drinking right now. This is delicious!

Fresh Haze.JPG

This is Deschutes Brewery Fresh Haze. Most of Deschutes' products are bottled, so I was skeptical when I saw this in the store in cans. But it is delicious. It's a fairly hoppy IPA but with a slight twist of orange citrus. From the can:

"A hazy twist on your main squeeze, this juice bomb explodes with notes of orange citrus sweetness and a soft malty body."

Damn!

The only bad thing about talking about beer is not being able to sit at a bar together and talking about beer while we sample them. :sad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 11:02

johnsmith wrote:I prefer lagers although I have my share of ales.

I've seen Japanese beers in the store before, but I've never bought them. What do you like about those Japanese beers?
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 12:30

Crisp, clean, uncomplicated I imagine.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 12:37

HBS Guy wrote:Crisp, clean, uncomplicated I imagine.

How's the flavor?
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 12:42

You want flavor too? :huh
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 27 Oct 2018, 13:52

SethBullock wrote:

I've seen Japanese beers in the store before, but I've never bought them. What do you like about those Japanese beers?

I just find they go down nice and easy. I don't want to taste the hops in beer.

If you ever get a chance, try Japanese rice beer. I like it, and it packs a punch. It's usually stronger than your typical beer.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 14:08

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

I just find they go down nice and easy. I don't want to taste the hops in beer.

If you ever get a chance, try Japanese rice beer. I like it, and it packs a punch. It's usually stronger than your typical beer.

OK, I'll watch for it. I must say, I'm skeptical that I'll like a beer without the taste of hops in it. But I'll see if I can't buy a bottle (or can) so I know what I'm talking about.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 27 Oct 2018, 14:54

My staple:

Soapy water.....but......really cold.......I like.

Otherwise ~ lagers, the crisper the better. Not keen on hoppy taste. Carling in the UK (out of the tap.)

Have tried those Jap beers Mr Smith referred to. Liked. Not enough to get me off the old time favourite...VB (ie Victoria Bitter or Vomit Bombs etc etc.)

(You watch all the Aussies here put shit on me about it. :roll

Bloody beer snobs!

:beer
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 15:12

Yeah I've seen 'em give you shit about your Vomit Bombs, lol ...

Is it similar to mainstream U.S. lagers like Budweiser, etc?

"Soapy water" That good, huh?
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Oct 2018, 15:20

I prefer lagers, and German black beer (Schwarzbier).

greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 27 Oct 2018, 15:36

SethBullock wrote:Yeah I've seen 'em give you shit about your Vomit Bombs, lol ...

I have had Budweiser when in the USA. Liked it. I'll get another six pack tomorrow at the local, and tell you.

"Soapy water." Well, even I can't deny that the first sip has that sort of tinge to it. What other US beers are there here, do you know? I am happy to give them a go.
Aussie

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Oct 2018, 15:41

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Yeah I've seen 'em give you shit about your Vomit Bombs, lol ...

I have had Budweiser when in the USA. Liked it. I'll get another six pack tomorrow at the local, and tell you.

"Soapy water." Well, even I can't deny that the first sip has that sort of tinge to it. What other US beers are there here, do you know? I am happy to give them a go.

The Czech Republic has the real Budweiser.

I remember buying 500 ml cans for one Euro at the petrol stations there.

:bgrin
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 16:11

Aussie wrote:

You mean mainstream macro brews? I don't know what's available in Australia, but you could watch for Budweiser, Coors, Busch, Miller High Life, Pabst, Michelob, and all there "Light" varieties. Bud Light and Coors Light are the two biggest sellers in the U.S. Lower in calories, and also lower in taste.

Also popular over here is Heineken and Corona.

Unquestionably though, the best beers are the craft beers. If you see anything like that from the Pacific Northwest, that would be a good bet. Eventually, I'm going to show off some of the other beers from around here.

Seth
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 27 Oct 2018, 16:23

Reckon we have Budweiser, Coors, Busch, Miller High Life, Pabst, Michelob here. Also have Heinikin. Corona is readily available....but I suspect the product here is brewed by local big brewers.

Will buy this lot ~ Budweiser, Coors, Busch, Miller High Life, Pabst, Michelob, tomorrow.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 16:27

Bud and Coors are rice beers—they have rice cookers by their mash tun. Rice has a lot of starch but takes a LOT of boiling to “gelatenise” the starch so the diastatic enzymes can turn the starch to fermentable sugars. Miller and Pabst are corn beers and have more flavor.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 27 Oct 2018, 16:30

Aussie wrote:Reckon we have Budweiser, Coors, Busch, Miller High Life, Pabst, Michelob here. Also have Heinikin. Corona is readily available....but I suspect the product here is brewed by local big brewers.

Will buy this lot ~ Budweiser, Coors, Busch, Miller High Life, Pabst, Michelob, tomorrow.

Further to that...we have a very large retailer here called Dan Murphy, and it is very likely all those will be in stock there.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 16:34

greggerypeccary wrote:I prefer lagers, and German black beer (Schwarzbier).

The reviews on that are quite good. I want to try that one.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 16:36

Aussie wrote:
Aussie wrote:Reckon we have Budweiser, Coors, Busch, Miller High Life, Pabst, Michelob here. Also have Heinikin. Corona is readily available....but I suspect the product here is brewed by local big brewers.

Further to that...we have a very large retailer here called Dan Murphy, and it is very likely all those will be in stock there.

It'll be interesting to see what you think of them compared to your usual. Michelob will have a bit more body and flavor.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 16:37

Some of the best beers are made by a Canadian brewery, Unibrou, Belgian styles. Amazing beers. Not available widely in Australia now :sad

Heineken is a corn beer but comes in green bottles which lets in wavelengths of light that interact with the hops and yeugh!

Negra Modelo, a Mexican beer is a dunkel (dark lager) and is a good beer in the Austrian style as it was back then when Maximillian I ruled Mexico for some unlikely reason or other.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Oct 2018, 18:29

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:I prefer lagers, and German black beer (Schwarzbier).

The reviews on that are quite good. I want to try that one.

It's one of my all time favourite beers.

Love it!
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Next

Return to Off Topic