Hunting

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Hunting

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Oct 2018, 10:42

I just don't understand these people:

"Florida woman Larysa Switlyk, who hosts a show called Larysa Unleashed, posted a photo of herself posing with a dead wild goat on the island of Islay in the Inner Hebrides.

"The photo is understood to have been taken in Scotland a month ago, but only posted to social media on Tuesday."

"Beautiful wild goat here on the Island of Islay in Scotland. Such a fun hunt," Switlyk wrote on social media.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/us-hunter-angers-scotland-after-killing-and-posing-with-beautiful-wild-goat

I just love the reaction from Ricky Gervais:

"A couple of cunts, dressed up like cunts, shooting a beautiful animal, then posing with the murdered carcass like right cunts and posting it on social media to show the world what cunts they are."

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1055133824718458885
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Hunting

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Oct 2018, 11:03

From someone else on Ricky's twitter feed (is that what it's called?):

"Jesus Christ, what the actual fuck is wrong with some people?

"If you feel a sense of achievement at killing a gentle little beast like a goat you must be a seriously disturbed and mentally limited person.

"Leave Scotland and never come back."

:thumb
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 26 Oct 2018, 11:40

If she ate it, what’s the problem? Do you eat steak?
Texan
Feral cat

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Oct 2018, 11:58

greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 26 Oct 2018, 12:11

Always travel up north when I'm doing a bit of hunting, you know. Get away from it all. Not a lot of pigs down south.
fisherman

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Oct 2018, 14:45

"It’s a feral goat FFS. If they’d taken a few carrots with them they would have followed them around for days.

"That wasn’t hunting....... that was slaughtering a pet."
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 26 Oct 2018, 15:07

I have never, ever in my life had even the remotest desire to kill something.

I don't understand these people that go on about how beautiful the poor creature they just killed was. Well what did you fucking kill it for then you absolute fuckwit?
mothra
Duck

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Oct 2018, 15:14

mothra wrote:I have never, ever in my life had even the remotest desire to kill something.

I don't understand these people that go on about how beautiful the poor creature they just killed was. Well what did you fucking kill it for then you absolute fuckwit?

These idiots leave me speechless.

Thankfully Ricky said exactly what I wanted to say:

"A couple of cunts, dressed up like cunts, shooting a beautiful animal, then posing with the murdered carcass like right cunts and posting it on social media to show the world what cunts they are."
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Oct 2018, 17:58

I would happily shoot a feral camel, goat or pig in outback Australia. They are not exactly good for the environment, especially the bloody camels! I have a pack of camel sausages in the fridge.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Oct 2018, 18:03

HBS Guy wrote:I would happily shoot a feral camel, goat or pig in outback Australia. They are not exactly good for the environment, especially the bloody camels! I have a pack of camel sausages in the fridge.

You wouldn't do it dressed in camouflage, and then post it on social media though, would you?
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Oct 2018, 18:05

Nope. I would have uses for the meat all lined up, shoot it, hang it, clean it, joint it, eat it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Oct 2018, 18:05

HBS Guy wrote:Nope. I would have uses for the meat all lined up, shoot it, hang it, clean it, joint it, eat it.

Exactly.

You wouldn't do it just to be an attention whore, which is exactly what this attention whore did.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Oct 2018, 18:10

Never shoot a fucking lion or elephant etc.

Camels do HUGE damage to fragile arid ecosystems. I am happy people can tame some of them to send livestock to improve camel genetics in the ME etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 26 Oct 2018, 18:56

We have more camels than the bloody arabs. We even export them to the middle east :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 27 Oct 2018, 02:43

yes I think there are distinctions to be made here. Hunting for fun and trophies is sick shit.

Hunting to kill feral animals is more than necessary, and more should be done to reduce the numbers of feral imported animals in Australia.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 06:20

Doubt I will hunt again, but definitely do some fishing.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 07:40

It's always worse when an American does it, isn't it?

Disturbing article and photo ...

http://www.greanvillepost.com/2016/07/0 ... ld-horses/
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 07:55

Yeah, bow hunting—no quick clean kill shot like a rifle.

Brumbies are being cleared out of Kosciosco National Park, I believe, but letting a lot of amateur hunters do it probably not the best way.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 Oct 2018, 08:18

I’m all for hunting..... hand kill all u want and I think hunters should be allowed to kill all the lions and bears they want and sharks. Niether animal is allowed weapons... it would make it to easy for the bears if they had knives. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 09:00

I hunt game birds like chukar and pheasant. I do enjoy it, and anything I kill gets eaten. I also fish. I hunted feral pigs in Texas once.

But I can't imagine hunting a horse. In the U.S. the federal Bureau of Land Management does roundups of excess wild horses and adopts them out. This is done to prevent overgrazing and to preserve healthy herds of wild horses.

I would not hunt feral cats either. If I was raising chickens, and a feral cat was threatening my chickens, sure. But I would think a better idea would be to trap them in a cat trap using some cat food as bait. Then turn it over to Animal Control. If the cat cannot be domesticated, it can be euthanized humanely. I like cats. I can't imagine picking up a rifle and going hunting for feral cats.

Hunting is in our DNA. We are not that far removed from a time when if you didn't hunt, you didn't eat. I doesn't surprise me a bit that people enjoy it. We are, after all, genetically programmed to hunt.

Good hunters never waste animals. The animals that are taken are processed for their meat, and if a mount is made for a study or living room, there is no harm in that. That's just a matter of preference.

And let us not forget that store bought meat wasn't grown on a tree. That tasty steak on the barbie is a part of what was a living breathing animal. You simply paid someone else to kill it and butcher it for you. So let's not get too high and mighty, shall we?

Seth
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 09:10

The feral cat problem won’t be fixed until the supply of new ferals is stopped. Dunno why people want cats but apart from licensed breeders they can only buy neutered cats. Feral cats are killing our native fauna at a huge rate.

[img]https://static.ffx.io/images/$width_780%2C$height_439/t_crop_fill/t_sharpen%2Cq_auto%2Cf_auto/82f412ea4e92e1b6be444ffe4ad5bce2ae453bc9/[img]
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 09:10

The feral cat problem won’t be fixed until the supply of new ferals is stopped. Dunno why people want cats but apart from licensed breeders they can only buy neutered cats. Feral cats are killing our native fauna at a huge rate.

Image won’t show. Caption was:
The 5kg warru that was devoured by the 6.8kg feral cat caught by rangers.

So the cats don’t just eat antechinus (marsupial mice) and birds!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 27 Oct 2018, 09:40

HBS Guy wrote:The feral cat problem won’t be fixed until the supply of new ferals is stopped. Dunno why people want cats but apart from licensed breeders they can only buy neutered cats. Feral cats are killing our native fauna at a huge rate.

Apparently, in Australia these feral cats don't have a natural enemy that eats them. Here in the states, there are few feral cats because of the high coyote population. Feral cat kittens in the wild generally do not survive the coyotes. I remember when I was in the Army in Hawaii, there were feral cats around. But they had no natural enemies, nothing eating them.

Domestic cats can be great pets, though. I've had cats all my life.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 27 Oct 2018, 09:44

SethBullock wrote:It's always worse when an American does it, isn't it?

Disturbing article and photo ...

http://www.greanvillepost.com/2016/07/0 ... ld-horses/

we have our fair share of idiots. They didn't all move to the USA.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 10:08

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:The feral cat problem won’t be fixed until the supply of new ferals is stopped. Dunno why people want cats but apart from licensed breeders they can only buy neutered cats. Feral cats are killing our native fauna at a huge rate.

Apparently, in Australia these feral cats don't have a natural enemy that eats them. Here in the states, there are few feral cats because of the high coyote population. Feral cat kittens in the wild generally do not survive the coyotes. I remember when I was in the Army in Hawaii, there were feral cats around. But they had no natural enemies, nothing eating them.

Domestic cats can be great pets, though. I've had cats all my life.

I suppose dingoes would eat a cat but calves would be easier prey I suppose. Foxes I doubt would take on a cat. Tasmanian Tiger would but clever us wiped them out. A Devil is more of a scavenger than a hunter but if it got a grip on a cat that’d be it for the cat, Devils can crunch big bones.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic