Big smile

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Big smile

Postby pinkeye » 03 Oct 2018, 23:06

Sigh. My heart swelled with happiness today.

I was on my afternoon walk with my dog around the block. One K exactly, up slope and down, past a regular cast of dogs in their yards, doing their thing.

Also a couple of yards with horses. Have always loved horses.

One property in particular ..has two arabs.. a grey and a chestnut.
My dog is cool with horses, so we've had the occasional smoosh on my passing by. They are gorgeous. The owners also have 3 dogs in the yard, so haven't had a chance to sneak a snuffle for quite a while now. But I always call out to them as I'm passing by, and they seem to attend. :bgrin

Anyway today I was walking up towards them, when a large dog from another neighbour's place started following me and my girl. ( I wish people were more responsible dog owners. I've seen enough dog fights already :roll ) So I told it to go home, pointing etc, but it ignored me.. So I got a rock and tossed it over to the other side of the road , growling at it .( MY dog is NOT dog aggressive thank fuck.) By then I'd drawn level with the horse place, and the dog went to check out the rock, which I'd thrown away from us, and coincidentally towards the horse place.

We, my dog and I, had continued moving upslope, and I was wondering what was next... not afraid, you understand? just .. ready...watching this dog...
when all of a sudden

the chestnut came thundering down-paddock looking at and aiming straight for the dog.!! ( there was a fence in the way)..
THE DOG BOLTED back down the road.
:bgrin . And my handsome rescuer pulled up at the fence snorting and generally being magnificent. :bgrin :bgrin

WOW..we're part of his herd. :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

The owner of the horses and three dogs had been calling her dogs away when the chestnut did his thing. She saw it too..I was clapping and yahooing.. . a bonding moment. :bgrin

sigh
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Big smile

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Oct 2018, 23:35

Ahahahaha sweet!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 04 Oct 2018, 01:45

:bgrin it was indeed
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 04 Oct 2018, 09:54

Great story, things like that do make you smile at the humble strength of connection between animals of like mind, but different species.

Animals always surprise us with their understanding and loyalty, they are amazing things that we can learn a hell of a lot from.

Had my horses in another paddock across the road (3h) from their normal home for that last few of years (12h), to give it a rest, brought them home the other day and they coldn't get through the gate quick enough. So happy they chased the dogs round and round, which sure stirred them up and gave them a bit of fun. Such beautiful beings and as rescue horses like our dogs, they appreciate their lives and are very happy.
Dax
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 04 Oct 2018, 22:46

:bgrin

yeah I feel sorry for people who don't understand the importance of animals in our lives.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Return to Off Topic