'Mate, what just happened?'

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

'Mate, what just happened?'

Postby mothra » 27 Sep 2018, 17:59

'Mate, what just happened?' Seal slaps kayaker in face with octopus

‘I could feel all the hard parts of the octopus on my face,’ says Kyle Mulinder

A kayaker paddling in the waters around New Zealand has been given an unusually close look at its marine life when a seal appeared to throw an octopus at him.

Kyle Mulinder was enjoying a clear day on waters off the coast of Kaikōura in the South Island when he was slapped in the face by the tentacles of the flying creature.

Mulinder told Australia’s Seven News he and his friends had been watching a seal tussle with a large octopus near their kayaks, before the seal burst out of the water with the animal lodged between its jaws.

“We were just sitting out in the middle of the ocean and then this huge male seal appeared with an octopus and he was thrashing him about for ages,” Mulinder told the news channel. “I was like ‘mate, what just happened?’ It was weird because it happened so fast but I could feel all the hard parts of the octopus on my face.”

Mulinder, who works for Go Pro, had a camera attached to his boat which captured the bizarre encounter.

Seals mainly eat fish, but they will consume any type of protein they can find, including octopus, squid, crustaceans and shellfish.

The seas off the coast of Kaikōura are renowned for their marine life, drawn to the region by the 50km-long Kaikōura canyon, which creates an unusual series of sea currents that sustains a rich food chain.

In 2016, an earthquake in the area caused a massive undersea landslip that killed much marine life including seals, abalone and shellfish. In the months after the quake whales and dolphins, which were usually common in the area, disappeared and scientists feared they would not return.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/27/seal-slaps-kayaker-face-octopus-new-zealand?CMP=fb_gu
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: 'Mate, what just happened?'

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Sep 2018, 18:11

Flying fish, octopi hurled by seals—somebody trying to send us a message?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 27 Sep 2018, 20:46

That was funny stuff.

Karl was losing it this morning and I couldn't figure out why... until I saw the clip on the net later in the day!
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby mothra » 27 Sep 2018, 21:14

HBS Guy wrote:Flying fish, octopi hurled by seals—somebody trying to send us a message?

I reckon if i were thwacked about the head repeatedly with an octopus, i'd question my life choices.
mothra
Duck

Postby Aussie » 27 Sep 2018, 21:17

Come on. It was just random stuff. All the seal wanted to do was ditch the octopus. Anything else is projection.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby mothra » 27 Sep 2018, 21:21

Aussie wrote:Come on. It was just random stuff. All the seal wanted to do was ditch the octopus. Anything else is projection.

Sheesh Dad. You're no fun at all.
mothra
Duck

Postby DonDeeHippy » 28 Sep 2018, 05:28

maybe he just wanted to seal the deal and not be a sucker :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

Postby mothra » 28 Sep 2018, 11:47

DonDeeHippy wrote:maybe he just wanted to seal the deal and not be a sucker :purple

All i know is i'm thinking seals are working for Cthulhu.
mothra
Duck

Return to Off Topic