Most men in the US and Europe could be infertile by 2060

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Postby mothra » 11 Sep 2018, 14:27

Sperm count in men from North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand declined by 50-60% between 1973 and 2011, according to a new study from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Surprisingly, the study, which analysed data on the sperm counts of 42,935 men, found no decline in sperm counts in men from Asia, Africa and South America, although there was limited data from these areas.

Overall, this is a very disturbing report. There has been a longstanding debate among scientists as to whether sperm counts have decreased or not. But what’s different about this study is the quality of the analysis. It was done in a systematic manner, accounting for several of the problems that had affected previous studies, such as the method used to count sperm and comparing studies performed sometimes decades apart. As such, most experts agree that the data presented is of a high quality and that the conclusions, although alarming, are reliable.

So what is going on? There has been concern for a number of years about an increase in abnormalities in male reproductive health, such as testicular cancer. The decline in sperm counts is consistent with these increases and this adds weight to the concept that male reproductive health is under attack and is declining rapidly.

In fact, if the data on sperm counts is extrapolated to its logical conclusion, men will have little or no reproductive capacity from 2060 onwards. The most rational explanation for the decline in male reproductive health is the changes in the environment. Current research suggests that the male foetus is particularly susceptible to exposure to pollutants and so changes that occur early in foetal life can have a very significant effect on the adult.

What can be done?

The simple answer is that we need much more research to find out why this decline in sperm count is happening. We cannot be complacent about the potential negative effect on fertility and must now urgently rally to substantially increase the research effort into male reproductive health.

Also, although the prevailing evidence shows a decline in reproductive health, not all studies show this; there are some geographical differences. It will be critical to determine what the key differences between geographical regions are – such as genetic differences and exposure to specific pollutants – so we can then examine treatment strategies to limit these negative effects.

If it’s the foetus that is mainly affected, what can the adult man do? Even in adults, exposure to chemicals, such as bisphenol A, which are thought to affect fertility, can have a negative effect, so men should limit their exposure to toxic chemicals. This includes stopping cigarette smoking. Also, a healthy lifestyle is very important as there is a known link between obesity and reduced sperm count.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/most-men-in-the-us-and-europe-could-be-infertile-by-2060
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Most men in the US and Europe could be infertile by 2060

Postby johnsmith » 11 Sep 2018, 14:48

not me .......... :hlo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 11 Sep 2018, 16:01

johnsmith wrote:not me .......... :hlo

Why is it that whenever confronted with any information about end bits or anything to do with their end bits, a man's knee-jerk response is to say "Not me, it isn't".

2060 is it, Bananaman?
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 11 Sep 2018, 16:03

mothra wrote:

Why is it that whenever confronted with any information about end bits or anything to do with their end bits, a man's knee-jerk response is to say "Not me, it isn't".

2060 is it, Bananaman?

i'll be well into my 80's in 2060, and more than likely I still won't be firing blanks.

as for why, i don't know. Why is it you freak out every time you see an image of a spider?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 11 Sep 2018, 16:13

johnsmith wrote:
as for why, i don't know. Why is it you freak out every time you see an image of a spider?

You're phobic of your own tackle?
mothra
Duck

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Sep 2018, 16:30

mothra wrote:

2060 is it, Bananaman?

Good question.
I don't know why.

I wear my kilt in the weekend and after work, that 'feels' good for my 'mens' health.

Heard some time ago tight synthetic undies are bad for mens fertility.
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Sep 2018, 16:38

Female hormones in milk? (So the cows keep giving big amounts of milk.) Do any blokes drink the foul soy milk with its female phyto hormones?

Fast food—fat, salt, chemicals?

Radiation? Smart phone? The testicles do hang outside the body.

The Y chromosome has also been shrinking in length. (Told one of the less bright of the dullards on OzPol that the male sex hormone had been getting smaller “Not mine!” :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 11 Sep 2018, 17:02

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

no more than you are phobic of photos
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 11 Sep 2018, 17:18

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

no more than you are phobic of photos

When i see a picture of a spider, my pulse quickens, i hyperventilate, my mouth goes dry, i get blurred vision and pain behind my eyes, my stomach spasms and i become very frightened and hypervigilent for some considerable time, effects lingering for days even. It's highly unpleasant but i try to make light of it. Some people seem to think it's funny.

Does that happen to you when you think about your end bits?
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 11 Sep 2018, 18:12

mothra wrote:When i see a picture of a spider, my pulse quickens, i hyperventilate, my mouth goes dry, i get blurred vision and pain behind my eyes, my stomach spasms and i become very frightened and hypervigilent for some considerable time, effects lingering for days even. It's highly unpleasant but i try to make light of it. Some people seem to think it's funny.

something similar happens when i think of my end bits not working or being snipped etc.

and it IS funny how you react to photos of spiders. It's a photo, not a spider.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 11 Sep 2018, 19:32

By 2060......I'll be firing from six foot under. But...'Aussie' will live on! Have not decided yet who I'll leave the account to!

:bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Sep 2018, 19:34

Auction it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 11 Sep 2018, 19:37

HBS Guy wrote:Auction it!

Bugger that! Won't do me any good. I have a Great nephew who is as opinionated as me...but he can't spell and is not quite the goods...yet. Donnie Darko is too polite and conservative. Maybe my eldest Grandson will get "Aussiefied."

:bgrin
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Sep 2018, 19:58

Auction it just before you cark it, idiot! You can do something nice with the money.

Hang on tho—1¢ & 2¢ coins no longer legal tender, are they?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 11 Sep 2018, 20:25

HBS Guy wrote:Auction it just before you cark it, idiot! You can do something nice with the money.

Hang on tho—1¢ & 2¢ coins no longer legal tender, are they?

:sad
Aussie

Postby mothra » 11 Sep 2018, 21:10

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:When i see a picture of a spider, my pulse quickens, i hyperventilate, my mouth goes dry, i get blurred vision and pain behind my eyes, my stomach spasms and i become very frightened and hypervigilent for some considerable time, effects lingering for days even. It's highly unpleasant but i try to make light of it. Some people seem to think it's funny.

something similar happens when i think of my end bits not working or being snipped etc.

You clearly understand very little about phobias. For example, one of the first steps in exposure therapy involves a picture of the item that the person is phobic about inside of a locked box in the same room as the person until they can comfortably accommodate that, before moving on to next steps.

As for what is funny, that is so only because i generously respond with relatable humour to your obvious ignorance about the subject. What is interesting though (and somewhat telling) is that you, having just been informed as you have about your impact, still value your titillation (again dependant on the deliberate reactions of your understanding victim) over controlling your impulse to not be what can only be considered mean.

But perhaps reduction in ignorance was too big a call.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 12 Sep 2018, 03:10

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 12 Sep 2018, 04:20

re the topic?
Male sperm count has been in decline for some decades now at least. Not new News.
It is also across most species.. plus mutations resulting from degraded sperm are becoming more and more common, and YES .. some areas are worse than others .

It is obviously due to environmental degradation, caused by industrial pollution.

Too bad, so sad :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 12 Sep 2018, 08:35

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

You clearly understand very little about phobias. For example, one of the first steps in exposure therapy involves a picture of the item that the person is phobic about inside of a locked box in the same room as the person until they can comfortably accommodate that, before moving on to next steps.

As for what is funny, that is so only because i generously respond with relatable humour to your obvious ignorance about the subject. What is interesting though (and somewhat telling) is that you, having just been informed as you have about your impact, still value your titillation (again dependant on the deliberate reactions of your understanding victim) over controlling your impulse to not be what can only be considered mean.

But perhaps reduction in ignorance was too big a call.

now, now mothra, no need to get touchy. you're quite safe from the scary photo, I can assure you that it won't hurt you

tell me again why they subject you to photos of your phobia when trying to cure you mothra, was it to be mean? :roll

FYI, I am well aware that exposing people to photos is the first step to helping people with their phobias It is after all, how i (almost) got over of my fear of snakes. If I can get a laugh out of it as well then all the better. :B
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Miranda » 12 Sep 2018, 10:14

The selfish gene is strong in you. :grn

Radical idea for you... What if this is not about you? What if this is about your children and your children's children...
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby johnsmith » 12 Sep 2018, 10:50

Miranda wrote:

Radical idea for you... What if this is not about you? What if this is about your children and your children's children...

do you think that changes anything? :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Sep 2018, 10:57

Miranda wrote:

Great post!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 12 Sep 2018, 14:31

HBS Guy wrote:Great post!

not particularly, especially when the story starts with 'Sperm count in men from North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand declined by 50-60% between 1973 and 2011'

given that my oldest was 2 at the end of that period, and my youngest wasn't born, it's not likely to be about them regardless of what Miranda says. :oops
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 12 Sep 2018, 15:28

Just to show Mothra that when it comes to being an insufferable duck, I am equal opportunity.

Aussie

Postby Miranda » 12 Sep 2018, 15:42

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Great post!

not particularly, especially when the story starts with 'Sperm count in men from North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand declined by 50-60% between 1973 and 2011'

given that my oldest was 2 at the end of that period, and my youngest wasn't born, it's not likely to be about them regardless of what Miranda says. :oops

Well done Smith! Because your progeny falls within a particular date range, you think that your children's children are safe, yes?

What if, as Pinkeye postulates, that it is environmental issues as the underlying cause of the reduced sperm count and not a lucky birth date? :giggle
Miranda
Jack Russell

Next

Return to Off Topic