Vegetarian cooking

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Vegetarian cooking

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Sep 2018, 18:39

I don’t do a lot of this but Mondays I often make a big omelette for dinner and grate onto it whatever cheese is left from the Thursday shop at the Market. (pssst, often add any leftover salami too.) Cheap, filling and good for you. Maybe a salad on the side.

Asparagus is back in season, YAY!

Next week when supplies are a bit more plentiful and prices lower I want to make “Giant Asparagus Raviolo with softboiled egg” which is a bit of work! Entirely vegetarian tho not vegan. Will try to present the recipe—great party food, well dinner party food (soft boiled egg kinda hard to manage as finger food!

Summer is coming—salads make an appearance. Potato salad is a meal in itself, especially with quartered hard boiled eggs.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Vegetarian cooking

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Oct 2018, 15:26

Made some seville orange marmalade. Of course, I didn’t properly Read The Fine Manual (cookbook.)

I thought I had made orange sauce with bits of peel (boiling too strong early on while still slicing the peel into fine strips) but the third saucer did seem to crinkle a tiny bit more but OTOH I didn’t see any sign of a skin on top of the marmalade 15 minutes after turning the heat off. Filled, sealed, water bath processed the marmalade sauce, fished the jars out and put them on the bench.

Fuck me! They turned out OK! There was a small jar (250ml) onky 3/4 full. Turned it over just now—it was setting! After all that, be lovely marmalade. I eat marmalade with my oatmeal in winter.

MUST make some apple butter soon, great stuff!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic