The biggest myth in Australian history

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: The biggest myth in Australian history

Postby Miranda » 12 Jul 2018, 11:44

HBS Guy wrote:Laplanders live in primitive ways.

As did the Iñupiat until recent times. And, there are still tribes in South America where there has been little western contact, if any!
Miranda
Chihuahua

spamone: Animal

Postby Auggie » 12 Jul 2018, 18:30

pinkeye wrote:What I mean is that our first people are basically unique in the world.

An entire continent , which saw virtually NO foreign incursion for tens of thousands of years, with a viable society that has existed in isolation for that length of time. Perhaps in far northern climes, exist other peoples who retain a unique identity.
Archaeology has shown many others arrived on these shores, but that was long ago , and these explorers failed to flourish. No surprise, given they were from the Northern hemisphere. They couldn't achieve critical mass.

A continent which is mostly arid, still had people in the toughest places to live.

There is no where else in the world that have such incredible people.

Which means ..? we should honour them.... not seek to exterminate this most ancient lore.

I totally agree with the last point. We should honour them. But, we shouldn't do it by trying to make their culture something it was not just to make ourselves feel better. Complexity doesn't mean superiority; it means that it's different.
It has been demonstrated that no system, not even the most inhuman, can continue to exist without an ideology.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 12 Jul 2018, 18:31

HBS Guy wrote:Laplanders live in primitive ways.

You used the word 'primitive', not me.

Simple doesn't mean inferior. Complexity doesn't mean superior.
It has been demonstrated that no system, not even the most inhuman, can continue to exist without an ideology.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Kunning » 14 Jul 2018, 19:15

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:interesting. i was unaware of their farming prowess, or even that they lived in villages. I always thought they were constantly on the move

They only moved about where it was sensible to move about. But it suits our purposes to present them as beneath us as we can.

It's disgusting.

I'm glad someone is trying to set the record straight

Nonsense. These people are racists. They won't even let decent white people walk on a silly rock.
Kunning
Jack Russell

Postby Kunning » 14 Jul 2018, 19:21

Auggie wrote:
pinkeye wrote:What I mean is that our first people are basically unique in the world.

An entire continent , which saw virtually NO foreign incursion for tens of thousands of years, with a viable society that has existed in isolation for that length of time. Perhaps in far northern climes, exist other peoples who retain a unique identity.
Archaeology has shown many others arrived on these shores, but that was long ago , and these explorers failed to flourish. No surprise, given they were from the Northern hemisphere. They couldn't achieve critical mass.

A continent which is mostly arid, still had people in the toughest places to live.

Which means ..? we should honour them.... not seek to exterminate this most ancient lore.

I totally agree with the last point. We should honour them. But, we shouldn't do it by trying to make their culture something it was not just to make ourselves feel better. Complexity doesn't mean superiority; it means that it's different.

Inferior culture, innit.
Kunning
Jack Russell

Postby Auggie » 14 Jul 2018, 23:13

Kunning wrote:
Auggie wrote:

Inferior culture, innit.

You’re conflating simplicity with inferiority.

That what the white supremecists do.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jul 2018, 23:49

yes its all BS really.

There is NO argument, in that the people exist, despite all, and for some midget-minds to want to argue about the minutiae, just proves the point.

They want to continue to maintain the status quo... but its time we grew up, and stopped being afraid and guilt-ridden , for the actions of the past.

Much better to recognise what is.

These people are. Pretend all the BS you want, but realise you are in the WRONG.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 16 Jul 2018, 16:01

hogwash - the biggest myth is that there was anyone here before us beautiful white people.
Sprintcyclist
Kitten

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jul 2018, 16:04

:bgrin
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Auggie » 16 Jul 2018, 18:16

pinkeye wrote:yes its all BS really.

There is NO argument, in that the people exist, despite all, and for some midget-minds to want to argue about the minutiae, just proves the point.

They want to continue to maintain the status quo... but its time we grew up, and stopped being afraid and guilt-ridden , for the actions of the past.

Much better to recognise what is.

These people are. Pretend all the BS you want, but realise you are in the WRONG.

Yes, we committed atrocities against the indigenous peoples. Yes, we treated them maliciously. Yes we are responsible for their plight.

No ones pretending anything, pinkeye.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby pinkeye » 16 Jul 2018, 23:01

sounds like pretentious crap to me
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby Auggie » 16 Jul 2018, 23:14

pinkeye wrote:sounds like pretentious crap to me

No i think that you were caught quite off guard by my comments.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Previous

Return to Off Topic