What books are you reading?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2020, 16:59

Wooden clothing eh? To go with your wooden characters :roll :bgrin

Yes, I did point out a couple “defending their home” with garden hoses and short sleeved/short panted clothing. One ember POW! Defend your home in winter by removing rubbish/slashing long grass etc. Don’t build on top of ridges etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2020, 17:05

Need a refuge, cellar with some compressed air bottles, keep positive pressure.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2020, 17:13

Seeing Fitzsimons mentioned I had a look at Amazon. . .chose his book on the coverage of the battle of Hamel.

Why?

FINALLY, Australian troops under Australian command and using sensible tactics and good use of tanks at last! Australians pushed the Germans back 20Km (HUGE, in terms of static trench warfare in WWI) and got hundreds of thousands (IIRC tens of thousands anyway) to surrender. Ludendorff called it “the blackest day in the history of the German Army” (which he forgot when trying to excuse his piss poor performance and made up the “Dolchstoss” which Hitler used to justify the Holocaust.)

I have read his “Tobruk” and “Kokoda—a bastard of a place!” Pretty scathing of Pommy generalship he was. Read up about “the Bush Artillery.” Tobruk didn’t fall until after the Aussies left.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2020, 17:19

Will surprise no one that a recent Kindle purchase was:

Cameron, W. Bruce. A Dog's Purpose

A little bit sweet but nice. A dog who is reincarnated until he is back with his first master many many years later and is there as that master dies. Pretty realistic portrayal of how a dog might think including his very very short term memory.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 01 Jan 2020, 18:10

HBS Guy wrote:Wooden clothing eh? To go with your wooden characters :roll :bgrin

Yes, I did point out a couple “defending their home” with garden hoses and short sleeved/short panted clothing. One ember POW! Defend your home in winter by removing rubbish/slashing long grass etc. Don’t build on top of ridges etc.

:roll :bgrin Oh darn typo, so hard to type properly on iPhone!
You know I meant “woollen” right?
BTW that footage of firies in their truck overwhelmed by fire only to survive after leaving the truck with their breathing aparatus on, has made world news. How they survived they say was by their training and instinct. The $700,000 truck totalled by fire, melting aluminium.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2020, 18:18

Yes, woollen :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 01 Jan 2020, 18:53

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, woollen :rofl :rofl :rofl

:roll
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jan 2020, 18:56

Well, give me a gift like that and expect me to overlook it? :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jan 2020, 19:42

Lols wrote:I didn’t know there were large fire blankets for people, so now I have ordered two 1.8 x 1.8 metre fire blankets from eBay.

I recall something i read years ago ...in case you have exhausted every other option, and you are left with no choice, you should have a bolt hole to hide in. Prepare it in advance because once the sh1t hits the fan, you won't get time. Dig a trench for each family member, deep enough that you won't stick up above ground level, just big enough to fit into (it'll feel like a coffin but if it keeps you alive you'll get over it), works best into the side of a hill or embankment, and keep the fire blanket there and some bottles of water, ready to cover yourself. Clear any debris or anything in the vicinity that may burn or fall on you whilst burning. If worse comes to worse, the fire will pass over you and the blanket should prevent any serious injury. Works best with fast moving fires. If you have time and the location is suitable, dig yourself a underground cellar. You can't burn dirt.

Lols wrote:I said it’s mainly flying embers that cause the fires to houses, as we have buckets and barrels of water all around, plus covered generator on tank water

put your garden sprinklers on the roof of the house and turn it on when the fire gets close ... they will hopefully put out any embers on the roof before the roof can catch on fire. If you haven't cleared the gutters beforehand of leaf matter, the sprinklers probably won't help

Lols wrote:we have plan B, go into dam water with life jackets on holding onto the paddle boat to middle of dam. With our fire blankets covering us and otherwise anything woollen.

depends on the size of the dam ... read of someone who tried to escape the fire by waiting in the backyard pool, and he boiled to death.

Lols wrote:My son was telling me off 2 nights ago, said to not stay to fight but go!

Are you in the immediate fire area? I suggest you get out early, take photo albums etc, and screw the house. It can be replaced, you can't

Lols wrote:That old adage comes to mind, if you fail to plan you plan to fail.

the best plan is to be many kilometers away from any fire. :grn

good luck with it all.

Edit:
ohh, i should add ...i'm just repeating stuff I've read over the years... don't do anything based on just my word, speak to the experts. I'd hate to think you took my advice and got hurt because of it. :OMG
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jan 2020, 19:44

HBS Guy wrote:Need a refuge, cellar with some compressed air bottles, keep positive pressure.

:thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 01 Jan 2020, 20:45

@ John Smith. That’s horrible about someone boiling in the pool. I hadn’t heard that before.
Our dam is 2 acres big and about 18 ft at deepest point, it won’t boil.
Reason I know it would work for plan B, is because friends of ours whom lived in Kinglake, where the black Saturday fireballs hit, they had a fire fighting pump, but the extreme heat melted the plastic petrol tank, they were stuck. Up one end if the house, he says to his wife, we have to get out of house, she says, but they said not to leave house when fires are outside, he says, but the other end of the house has caught alight we need to get outside now!
This was a house he built and loved, they only had their clothes they were wearing, and a blanket. No time to save anything not even a photo.
It was 50 degrees and black as hell from smoke. They couldn’t see direction where their dam was except for their vineyard, they followed it down to where the dam was and got in the water. The only air was about an inch above the waterline, this is what saved them. The only thing that saved them. While everything around them burnt.
They told us it was awful and thought they would drown.

So with direct knowledge of their experience, that is why we know our dam/lake, will be our safety haven should push come to shove.
Life jackets will be worn also. We have zillions of them from jet skiing.

I saw tonight on news, how an outdoor pizza oven was still standing. Interesting what survives.

We get told to bury underground a shipping container, and I reply that the weight of dirt crushed in the sides, it needs a steel frame support first.
Last edited by Lols on 01 Jan 2020, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jan 2020, 20:49

great that you have such a big dam ..i'm sure it'll be fine as a last resort.

I still think that if in danger you need to get out
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jan 2020, 20:51

Lols wrote:I saw tonight on news, how an outdoor pizza oven was still standing. Interesting what survives.

they're built with fire bricks (clay instead of concrete) so won't burn'

i wonder if they still heat up inside when the fire is on the outside?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 01 Jan 2020, 20:53

johnsmith wrote:great that you have such a big dam ..i'm sure it'll be fine as a last resort.

I still think that if in danger you need to get out

Not when it’s that bad, no way will we go in car on road.
Trees come down and block roads, visibility is minimal and other cars block roads also.
They ask people to not leave too late because it causes blocks and fire trucks can’t get through.

I agree if people are warned early to get out, they should. Especially if no plans are in place.
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby Lols » 01 Jan 2020, 20:55

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:I saw tonight on news, how an outdoor pizza oven was still standing. Interesting what survives.

I thought of what you put up earlier about the kiln and that person got in and survived with fire blanket also.
The kiln stopped any flames going through, but the fire blanket stopped the heat.
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jan 2020, 20:59

Lols wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

I thought of what you put up earlier about the kiln and that person got in and survived with fire blanket also.
The kiln stopped any flames going through, but the fire blanket stopped the heat.

I've no idea how it works. I would be guessing the heat is restricted substantially
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2020, 08:27

Lols with a vineyard, me with a 50m row of vines :roll :bgrin

I had a new part row of posts for perry pears built, might put vines on it instead since the full length row I thought I would have to sacrifice I will still use. (Depends on some measurements I will take.) Thinking of white grape varieties but probably more shiraz might be better, decent amount of juice. (part row 4m shorter than a full row.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 02 Jan 2020, 13:21

Our friends that had their boutique vineyard in Kinglake, was experimental red wine, without any preservatives. They didn’t know how it would go, but was beautiful organic wine that was amazing! I had bought a dozen bottles and donated back 10 to our friends, after they lost everything in the fire. Can’t remember what type of grapes they grew. I might have kept an empty bottle for keepsakes somewhere!
I like the idea of small boutique vineyards with family working together. The vibes of that make for excellent tasting wine!
When I visited an aunt in Italy, her husbands nephew would use the land to grow the vineyard, and I would see all these huge vats in the lower house, fermenting wine, phew it smells. But when they taste the wine it’s with a piece of chocolate eaten first. I never knew why nor did I bother to ask back then. I’m not a wine buff/connoisseur but seems that because of my Italian background, I am going to be growing up with it! Maybe I should have paid more attention given the wide popular exposure of wines to the interested public of recent years!
Gosh there are so many different wines on the market now! A bit overwhelming for choice.
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2020, 14:51

I like Shiraz and Sauvignon blanc and semillon, riesling etc in whites. Love the liqueur wines, tokay and muscat etc.

Was thinking of growing S. blanc—lots of problems, catches any disease around etc. No way, have quite enough to manage and learn as it is! More shiraz I think.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Chuck » 02 Jan 2020, 15:48

Don ur self with woollen clothing, as it needs higher radiant heat to become combustible. Cotton has a lower temperature!

Wool does not melt, and although it does burn, it is classified as non-flammable because it requires more oxygen than is present in the atmosphere to ignite. Wool will only burn at a much higher temperature than the temperature that will melt synthetics, which are infamous for melting onto skin and into wounds. When wool does burn, the fire is self-extinguishing, and the ash tends to insulate against further problems.

Never try to outrun a fire going uphill, u have a better chance of survival running down thru it!

From the Vic CFA:
For every 10˚ slope, the fire will double its speed. For example, if a fire is travelling at 5 km per hour along flat ground and it hits a 10˚ slope it will double in speed to 10 km per hour up the hill.

By increasing in speed the fire also increases in intensity, becoming even hotter.

The opposite applies to a fire travelling downhill. The flames reach less fuel, and less radiant heat pre-heats the fuel in front of the fire. For every 10˚ of downhill slope, the fire will halve its speed.

Fires tend to move more slowly as the slope decreases.

Many years ago there was disastrous fire in a Swiss Alps car tunnel. The people who survived listened to an off duty firefighter and ran downhill thru the flames.

Chuck
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Lols » 03 Jan 2020, 08:43

I remember the news of that fire in that tunnel.
What stunned me was that those trucks that collided and caught fire, prevented cars from being able to start, due to lack of oxygen. Maybe oxygen sensors stuffed up? I have no clue, maybe get out and run away is best.
I see signs before tunnels on freeways that trucks with placarded load to not go through tunnels. I didn’t know what placarded meant till I googled it.
Well for our Melbourne tunnels that’s a rule, don’t know about European tunnels.
All those railways our fore fathers built, a good visionary feat, for our future, yet why do we still have so many trucks on our roads? And so many railway lines pulled out for example, our Warburton Trail, now we depend on cars and accidents are rife in the Yarra Ranges. What a stupid mistake dismantling the railway. All the stations are still standing.
Totally dumb.
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Jan 2020, 18:03

Chuck wrote:Don ur self with woollen clothing, as it needs higher radiant heat to become combustible. Cotton has a lower temperature!

Wool does not melt, and although it does burn, it is classified as non-flammable because it requires more oxygen than is present in the atmosphere to ignite. Wool will only burn at a much higher temperature than the temperature that will melt synthetics, which are infamous for melting onto skin and into wounds. When wool does burn, the fire is self-extinguishing, and the ash tends to insulate against further problems.

Never try to outrun a fire going uphill, u have a better chance of survival running down thru it!

From the Vic CFA:
For every 10˚ slope, the fire will double its speed. For example, if a fire is travelling at 5 km per hour along flat ground and it hits a 10˚ slope it will double in speed to 10 km per hour up the hill.

By increasing in speed the fire also increases in intensity, becoming even hotter.

The opposite applies to a fire travelling downhill. The flames reach less fuel, and less radiant heat pre-heats the fuel in front of the fire. For every 10˚ of downhill slope, the fire will halve its speed.

Fires tend to move more slowly as the slope decreases.

Many years ago there was disastrous fire in a Swiss Alps car tunnel. The people who survived listened to an off duty firefighter and ran downhill thru the flames.

Chuck

you said Don …... :yahoo
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 03 Jan 2020, 22:45

Perfectly legitimate DDH.

:roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jan 2020, 16:55

Getting back On Topic. . . :bgrin

I am rereading Neal Stephenson’s “REAMDE.”

It has everything: a massively multiplayer game, Chinese hackers, a computer virus, Russian mafia, jihadists, Christian taliban, private jets, hijacked ships, MI6 agent etc.

Neal writes, I suppose, science fiction. Don’t curl that lip! Neal writes about the current time period, mostly, and what could happen. He writes pretty big bloody books! Reamde is over 1000pages. Action. . .and a message.

He also wrote a three volume “history”of the Baroque period, beginning with the protagonist, as a child on his father’s shoulder, witnessing the beheading of Charles I and going onto the first Hanoverians, George I. Rattling good yarn, historically accurate. Features Isaac Newton of course, alchemy and the formation of the Royal Society etc. Christopher Wren, Hooke etc etc. Two or three yarns intertwined. Gives a great picture of life back in the 17th and 18th centuries! “The Diamond Age” is set in the future or alternative future, can’t really describe it, this is the most fantasy of all his novels. Oh yes, “Seveneves” is what you think of SciFi—rockets, the moon fracturing etc etc. Yet it is MUCH more than rockets!

Hmmm “ Cryptonomicon” about cryptology/cryptanalysis with parallel stories, one in WWII and one, by the descendents of two of the WWII characters set in modern time (say 2000.) You will learn something about cryptology (one use sheets etc etc) see Bletchley Park in action etc. And a love story in both eras (has to be eh, else no descendants :yellow )

Give one a go—Reamde is good. Snow Crash maybe a shorter introduction, tiny bit computer virus heavy, but great!

Looking at Amazon I see Neal has a few more books out—gonna get some!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Jan 2020, 14:58

Finished re-reading Reamde. Very worth it I reckon Seth would appreciate it being closer to the “Christian Taliban” and all. A main character in the book, got that massive multiplayer game going and making money, Richard, was a draft dodger (Viet Nam I guess) found an prohibition-era smugglers route from Canada to the US and made a living for a while smuggling dope into the US: that route becomes important late in the book, getting the jihadists into the US.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic